NARS Caravaggio

4.4

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Just the most creative and actually, flattering, of combinations (but obviously only at night)...
I do think a lot of careful thought went into this; just deciding upon the correct azalea pink and gemstone purple to work on the eyes, pure genius. I do see it as a 'brunette' palette, though.
I'm probably a bit old for it out and about (especially in my small rural town!), but I often fool around with it at bedtime just for kicks,...and it says a lot for the quality as I wake up in the morning with a lovely hazy purple eye and no irritation!

Caravaggio is another intense eyeshadow duo from NARS. One shade is a bright, medium raspberry pink with red undertones and the second shade is a medium purple. These colors do look very good together but they can be difficult to wear. I have to be in the mood for a super bright look to really pull this off. I usually wear the pink shade on the inner corner with the purple shade on the outer corner and then line my eyes with a dark purple liner (I like Smashbox Midnight Purple). I also wear these shades on their own pretty often, smoking them out with greys, blacks, or other pink and purple shades.
Both shades are highly pigmented. You only need to tap your brush into the shadow to get enough color to cover your whole eye. They do blend out well if you want to make the colors less bright, but they are also super buildable if you want a more intense look. These shadows apply like a dream -- not chalky, no fallout, just super smooth. They last on me all day without fading or creasing with a good primer underneath.
I love the packaging; it's really sleek and chic, and the rubber protects the product from breaking if dropped, but the material also gets very dirty very quickly. But I'll take dirty sturdy packaging over cheap but cute packaging any day.
I wouldn't buy this again because these shades aren't the best pinks and purples for my skintone, but they are fun shadows that I'm sure I will use up eventually. I would recommend this to darker skinned ladies though. I think these shades are more suited for deeper skintones.

After lemming this forever..I got a giftcard for Sephora and picked this up. I really do like it..although this is more of a wild nite out duo...I do the pink (looks more red on me) for work with Femme Fi (cream as a highlight). I like that it can be made super bright or toned down w/ neutrals

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I love this duo. Admittedly, I do not wear this as traditionally intended, though I often wear both colors at the same time. I wear the pink side as blush (it gives me a doll like appearance--a trend that's supposed to be hot for Spring '10) and I wear the purple on the lids with a matte brown in the crease.

As other reviewers have mentioned, these are very vivid colors, so they are easier to wear on tan and dark skin (though not impossible on fair skinned beauties). If you have this and you're thinking about giving up on it, try wearing the pink as a blush (use a light hand at first and build if you need more color). These colors are so pretty.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is eyeshadow perfection! The colours are gorgeous, vivid but wearable pink and purple. The colours may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the shadow quality is second to none (and I own a million shadows, half of them purples). They're both very pigmented, soft and blendable without any fallout, and look and feel like velvet. Pure luxury! The NARS duos can be hit and miss, but both shades in this duo are top of the line.

absolutely stunning product! beautiful, bright, bold colours that look stunning and apply on the eye exactly as they look in the pain. this duo is not for those who are afraid of colour/experimentation! the colours perfectly complimet each other and blend like a dream. the nars packaging is great and sturdy to! would purchase again without a shadow of a doubt

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Now I have to edit this review. At first I really liked this duo but probably would not repurchase. I am very fair and both colors can be slightly too dark if I am too heavy handed. One reviewer is correct if you apply the pink color wet it is just like the color in the pan. They can still look nice on me but they have a great deal of pigment. Better suited for a person darker skinned.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Ive been on the hunt for pink and purple shades that are not pastel, glittery, ugly, too bright, etc. Caravaggio meets my requirements and is one of those duos that you can play it safe with or really have some fun. Highly pigmented but easy to blend. Looks pretty softly blended with a neutral colour in the crease and a pop of light in the inner corners.
For fun.. use the pink wet and with the right amount of water you will get true to pan colour a hot medium pink, definitely not a baby pink!! Amazing as an eyeliner on the upper lid.
The purple is rich and vibrant.. not matte but not too shimmery either. Apply as a sheer wash of colour if you want to really cut down on the shimmer factor.
I normally do not use a base and NARS shadows dont usually crease on me, but Ive found that the pink shade looks gorgeous when a Shiseido Hydro-Powder Eyeshadow (Spring Plum, Bare Pink, or Rose Tulle) is used underneath. The shine and glitter of the Hydro-Powder will be covered by the pink and you are left with a rich but muted and more complex shade of pink. Try it!!
I have to add that I love NARS sturdy rubbery packaging.. I have an unfortunate tendency to drop my compacts and so far *fingers crossed* I have had no smashed mirrors, broken hinges, cracked shadows, etc.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I purchased this at the kind recommendation of antidrugposterchild on the Makeup Board. It's worth noting that this duo is really the only matte e/s I own, so for me to like it as much as I do is fairly significant. Caravaggio consists of a matte neutral-toned muted medium-dark fuchsia and a medium-dark cool-toned purple with a bit of lighter purple iridescence. I wear the fuchsia on my lids and the purple in the crease, and I really feel that the purple is what tones the fuchsia down enough to make it wearable. Both shadows are really pigmented. It looks really nice with my green eyes and currently FFF complexion, but I think this would be even nicer on a GGG or especially a DDD. I don't like the rubberized packaging NARS (and Smashbox) have - if there's any lint hanging around in your bag, it WILL dirty up your expensive new makeup's compact.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This was my first NARS eyeshadow purchase and I had very high hopes. Unfortunately, I was let down. The colours in the compact are very vivid, not overly pearlescent and are very complementary. My excitement was replaced with disappointment when I started to blend them together on my lid. The shadow simply does not stay on. It all but disappeared, leaving a dull purply shade on my lids that looked nothing like the gorgeous colours in the compact.