Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.2

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a good makeup remover but highly recommend that you follow up with a second cleanse as it feels rather thick and heavy and potentially pore clogging if you were to only use this product. It's fragrance-free and borderline waxy in texture but melts from your body heat, removes makeup satisfactorily and rinses off easily. For the price I think you would be just as satisfied using The Body Shop's Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Balm which is a fraction of the price or better yet, pure coconut oil. I purchased a small size of this (with a small mascara) to test out and love the container so once I'm done I will likely just re-fill with coconut oil for this purpose. I really can't complain about this product, it does do a good job, it's just a bit too expensive (like the It Cosmetics Bye-Bye Makeup 3-in-1 Makeup Melting Balm - which I happen to LOVE) for me to repurchase so I would recommend giving it a try if you are looking for a cleansing balm. One tip to share - re-use a small spatula to scoop out the product unless you don't mind getting this under your nails.

on 1/13/2017 11:55:00 AM

I've been meaning to try this for ages and finally got a good sized sample with a point perk. It REALLY takes everything off. My favorite oil cleanser is the Tatcha Cleansing Oil but this Cleansing Balm truly gets rid of all eye makeup. Plus it's far cheaper than Tatcha. My only complaint is that it feels more oily on the skin when removing than Tatcha, but I can definitely live with that. Definitely recommend this one.

This is my first cleansing balm. I have combo skin that is very breakout prone when introducing new products. Despite having combo skin, many cleansers severely dry out my skin until its painful.
I love this balm- it removes all my makeup and sunscreen, my mascara, everything! It rinses clean, even without a washcloth (though I usually use one after rinsing, for one final little scrub). I had one mascara (which I hated for many reasons) that this only partially removed but I feel that is unusual. I sometimes use micellar water afterwards and there is never anything on the cotton pad. I may not repurchase, only since I can't find in my area and would need to order online and might try to find something I can pick up locally. The tub has about 15% left, I've used this once a day, most days a week, for 6 months.

on 1/1/2017 1:20:00 PM

Great stuff. Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, takes absolutely everything off my face, and doesn't break me out. I rarely use this as I don't wear full foundation or heavy eye product most of the time - however, I always double cleanse after using this as it gives me blurry vision (strangely with no stinging), and then I'm good to go for the rest of my night routine.

on 12/31/2016 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this! I have combination,super sensitive and acne prone skin. This takes off all the dirt and makeup completely! It doesnt leave my skin dry. I love that after i cleanse my skin with this,it leaves my skin moisturized. I also love how it takes off stubborn makeup especially waterproof mascara. It literally takes off everything! Only thing is,it leaves a residue when it gets in my eyes. Result is having a blurry vision but i can live with that since ill just wash my eyes and its fine again. Also since i have super sensitive skin,my skin adjusted with this cleanser. I had 1-2 bumps for a wk. this would be perfect if it had a spatula that comes with it. I also use this with a muslin cloth. This lasts a long time considering the price. Its worth it. Higly recommended!

on 12/30/2016 7:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This is a HG product!!! Absolutely amazing and just melts dirt and makeup away. Also doesn't irritate eyes. I usually have to use a bit of extra product to remove my eye makeup, but I don't mind because this product is actually fun to use. Usually after a night out I leave my makeup on (I know how bad it is for your skin) but since owning the take the day off balm, I actually can't wait to get home and make a somewhat impressionistic piece on my face and wash it all away.

I have also tended to avoid things of an oil consistency and texture in the past out of fear of it clogging up my pores and increasing the oiliness of my t zone (I have quite large pores on my nose) . However this product actually makes skin feel unclogged and clean, so to speak.

It is a bit expensive but a little amount of product goes a long way. Would recommend to anyone.

on 12/28/2016 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

HG cleanser/makeup remover--LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff.

Here's why: it's effective at removing makeup and cleansing my skin, isn't drying or irritating (and doesn't sting your eyes), and leaves my skin feeling GREAT (soft and supple) and well-prepped for the next step in my regimen. Plus I don't have to bend over the sink and splash water everywhere, which I've always hated.

My skin is very dry and somewhat sensitive (prone to rosacea) but generally clear. I've seen huge improvements in my skin since I started using the TTDO cleansing balm. Partly, I think, because it's so gentle and nondrying, but also because the products I apply afterward seem to work better now.

How I use it: scoop up a bit with my fingers, massage it into dry skin in upward circular motions, remove with a warm wet washcloth. The balm takes on an oily consistency when applied to dry skin and works great for facial massage (if you're interested, I would google "Caroline Hirons facial massage" or check out videos on YouTube--but you can also just rub it around in circles to get the job done), while taking off any makeup/sunscreen/grime. If I'm wearing heavy eye makeup, I use more balm and often have to give the eyes an extra go over. While the balm itself doesn't sting my eyes or irritate the extremely thin and sensitive skin around them, I am extra gentle with that area. In general, you don't want to go ham with your washcloth if you have more delicate skin, which I do. But you don't have to--I find the balm a cinch to remove and it doesn't leave any unpleasant residue. I bought 7 cheap washcloths, use one a day, and wash them all on laundry day.

I only have one real complaint: the price. But a tub does last a good while and it's totally worth it--I really think of it as the bedrock of my skincare routine. I also don't love the jar packaging and would prefer dispensing it onto my finger tips from a fat tube, but at least the jar allows you to get every last bit of this precious product.

Seriously, I recommend this to EVERYONE, unless you know one of the ingredients is problematic for your skin. It's so gentle and effective and just lovely.

on 12/22/2016 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I have dry, sensitive, rosacea-prone skin that loves this makeup remover. It is a solid in the container that you must scoop out with clean fingers or a spatula. It then melts upon contact with the body heat of your skin and dissolves your makeup. A little care and gentle rubbing must be taken around your lashes to completely remove mascara and eyeliner. You then mix with a little warm water and rinse away. I have never found it stripping in the least. I have repurchased multiple times and would definitely recommend for someone of a similar skin type.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I wanted to love this. I wanted it to live up to the hype. After my experience, I don't get the hype, at all.

This stuff doesn't remove makeup efficiently. I'm talking light makeup, Nars TM with a light dusting of powder, not greasepaint. I needed to apply it, work it in, and rinse TWICE to get this to remove all my facial makeup. Then to top it off, it left my skin feeling a bit stripped, yet also covered with a film. It's a balm-- it comes out of the jar in clumps which have to be melted onto skin then spread around. So awkward!

I did try it for eye makeup and it was subpar -- tho to be fair, I use a separate bi-phase eye makeup remover because you simply can't beat those for removing eye m/u -- nothing compares to them. So my low rating for this really has nothing to do with the fact that it didn't remove my eye m/u well.

UNSANITARY: Because this comes in a jar, it's unsanitary as well. Probably the most disgusting aspect, was that eventually this became discolored with what I think was MOLD. I suspect this was a result of me having to dip back into it a second time with a damp hand, since this product does not cleanse thoroughly in one pass. Good grief! As much as I dislike Noxzema cleanser in a jar, at least that didn't grow mold.

Also, as others reported, I did get an increase in acne while I was using this. I don't know if it was caused by ingredients, or if it was perhaps a result of the unsanitary packaging.

Bottom line: Awkward, inefficient, unsanitary, expensive. Because you need to do two passes to get your face clean with this, you need to use more product, rendering it even more expensive. I cannot recommend this to anyone in good conscience. Instead I would recommend Boscia Makeup-Breakup cleansing oil. Though it too is expensive, it is FAR superior and comes in a sanitary pump.

on 12/5/2016 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is excellent to remove makeup. I would, however, follow up with a second cleanser. Alternatively use this as a morning cleanser.