Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
Take The Day Off Cleansing BalmClinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.2

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I added this to my routine as a makeup remover before my usual cleanser. It did work well and I found it pleasant enough to use. Sadly, after a few days, it gave me cystic acne. While I do get the occasional hormonal spot, I never sprout multiple cysts at once like I did when I tried TTDO.

Be careful if you're remotely acne prone. Try a sample if possible and patch test before you slather this over your entire face.

on 8/17/2017 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My requirements for a cleanser are that they're 1) makeup removing 2) non drying 3) don't sting the eyes 4) don't break me out and 5) are preferably fragrance free. Happy to report that TTDO passes on all five counts with flying colors! I use it to wash my face when I'm wearing makeup and it gets everything off, doesn't leave my dry skin feeling tight, but also doesn't require a secondary cleanser or feel like it's leaving a gross residue on my face. It doesn't break me out like a lot of drugstore cream cleansers and doesn't sting my eyes, which is important for an eye makeup remover but surprisingly not a gimme. To use it optimally, apply to a DRY face, work it in, and THEN splash your face with water. You need much less product this way, especially when you need to get off stubborn eye makeup. I'm working my way through a few different cleansing balmns (right now I'm using and loving Farmacy's) but I'll probably come back to this one because, simply put, it works and the price is right.

on 8/5/2017 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have very sensitive and dry skin and this stuff is amazing! My face is so soft and smooth after using, and never stings like with cleansers.

on 7/26/2017 1:03:00 PM

I am a big fan of cleansing balms. I have tried ones from Boscia and Farmacy and liked them as well but I purchased this one because of its price $29 Sephora.com $5 less than the others. Not all balms are created equal but they do the same thing some just feel heavier on the skin than others. I am really impressed with this one. It has no scent, is opthomologist tested, and rinses off easily. I would also give Farmacy's cleansing balm 5 lippies.

Takes heavy makeup off with ease without drying out your face and a little product goes a long way.

on 7/21/2017 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Awful, does not clean deeply. I have to apply and wash off twice, and still I see makeup leftovers on the towel (and I do not even use a lot of make-up).

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

After 2 weeks of using this I have a lot of clogged pores and several small pimples. Either the product is clogging me or it's not removing my sunscreen completely. Either way it's just not working for me. I've switched back to Banila Co Clean It Zero which is harder for me to find but has never caused problems.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I tried this balm after trying every other "Take the Day Off" product, going from liquid to lotion, and finally to this jar of thick balm. I'm trying to find a no-rub way to get my mascara (regular) and liner off every night and really struggling. I'm not a big fan of jars, and was skeptical about putting something with the texture of paste around my eyes, but the reviews are so good for this product, and it seemed safe since I've never had a single issue with any Clinique skincare product. Until now. Wow, this stuff stings me, and I could not get it out completely of my eyes with repeated rinsing, and washing with other cleansers. I went to bed with smeary vision, and woke up with puffy lids, with honest-to-goodness bumps along the edge. Into the trash it went (travel size, luckily) and on to my eyes went a cold pack for the puffiness, then later in the day the hot compresses for the bumps, in case they were the beginnings of styes, with all my fingers crossed that it was all temporary. I'm happy to say the next day, the puffiness was gone, and the lumps gone the day after. But I'm unhappy that this product that works so well for so many, from Clinique, my usual go to for no-drama-no-problem products, failed me so badly!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I really like this cleansing balm. I was previously using Simple face wipes until I did a bit more research on /r/SkincareAddiction and found that wipes really aren't too efficient and can be more drying. I decided to try this after seeing so many glowing reviews.

This product at first feels really weird when applying it on the face but it works so well. It effortlessly takes off my makeup, even when I'm wearing something as long wearing as Estée Lauder's double wear light foundation. I haven't tried it on eye makeup as I always use Garnier's micellar water for that.

I rinse my face afterwards and then sometimes I'll follow up with a second layer just to make sure I've removed all traces of makeup if I wore a lot that day. I rinse with water and then use a First Aid Beauty face wash to clean my face and their moisturizer as well. My skin feels so soft afterwards and I know my face is much cleaner than when I used to just use a face wipe.

Pros
Removes makeup easily
Not drying
Doesn't make me break out
Doesn't irritate my skin
Fragrance free

Cons
Pricy

I've been using this for a couple days and will update my review if my opinion changes.

EDIT 6-11-17: I had to discontinue use because I was beginning to develop cystic acne and it left my skin feeling dry. I now just use 100% mineral oil and I'm much happier, plus it's way cheaper at $6 a bottle at Bed Bath & Beyond. I still recommend this for people if it doesn't irritate their skin though so I will leave my 5 star review.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

For reference, I have mild rosacea, dry cheeks and normal skin not prone to breakouts.

It's been about 12 hours since I used this for the first time and my cheeks are still splotchy and tingly. This removed my makeup and cleaned my face beautifully with no dry/tight feel after, I actually enjoyed the experience, not at all greasy and my face felt super soft thereafter. However, I immediately noticed redness and thought it was maybe from rubbing but it never went away. I usually love Clinique products but this one just isn't for me. I don't want to even imagine what my face will look like if I try this again. Back to the store it goes.