Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
Take The Day Off Cleansing BalmClinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.2

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I really like this cleansing balm. I was previously using Simple face wipes until I did a bit more research on /r/SkincareAddiction and found that wipes really aren't too efficient and can be more drying. I decided to try this after seeing so many glowing reviews.

This product at first feels really weird when applying it on the face but it works so well. It effortlessly takes off my makeup, even when I'm wearing something as long wearing as Estée Lauder's double wear light foundation. I haven't tried it on eye makeup as I always use Garnier's micellar water for that.

I rinse my face afterwards and then sometimes I'll follow up with a second layer just to make sure I've removed all traces of makeup if I wore a lot that day. I rinse with water and then use a First Aid Beauty face wash to clean my face and their moisturizer as well. My skin feels so soft afterwards and I know my face is much cleaner than when I used to just use a face wipe.

Pros
Removes makeup easily
Not drying
Doesn't make me break out
Doesn't irritate my skin
Fragrance free

Cons
Pricy

I've been using this for a couple days and will update my review if my opinion changes.

EDIT 6-11-17: I had to discontinue use because I was beginning to develop cystic acne and it left my skin feeling dry. I now just use 100% mineral oil and I'm much happier, plus it's way cheaper at $6 a bottle at Bed Bath & Beyond. I still recommend this for people if it doesn't irritate their skin though so I will leave my 5 star review.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

For reference, I have mild rosacea, dry cheeks and normal skin not prone to breakouts.

It's been about 12 hours since I used this for the first time and my cheeks are still splotchy and tingly. This removed my makeup and cleaned my face beautifully with no dry/tight feel after, I actually enjoyed the experience, not at all greasy and my face felt super soft thereafter. However, I immediately noticed redness and thought it was maybe from rubbing but it never went away. I usually love Clinique products but this one just isn't for me. I don't want to even imagine what my face will look like if I try this again. Back to the store it goes.

on 5/17/2017 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My skin type: oily/combination with occasional breakout, tolerates most products well

My overall opinion of this product: absolute disaster

Ladies, if you have even the slightest hint of skin congestion, I would strongly recommend that you do not purchase this product.

I can use most serum/moisturisers/balms/lotions without issue, but after a week of using this every night before cleansing I had four Mt-Everest-sized pimples on my cheeks, despite using a thorough cleanser afterwards for 'residue'.

There are so many other products that will remove your makeup AND keep your skin clear (i.e. Clarins cleansing oil).

Don't waste your time or money with this one!

on 5/16/2017 12:23:00 PM

I think i'm on the fence with this product, even though so many people had great results with it!

Background info: oily combo skin type, acne prone/blemish skin, sensitive skin user. I do prefer wearing full faced makeup and live in humid climate conditions, about 91.3°F on an average day.

I succumbed to purchasing this because so many people here RAVED about it! CaseyHolmes swears by it, so i thought why not. There's no travel sized version available (if there's ever one...i'm not sure) so i purchased the full sized.

I am amazed....it really does remove even the heaviest amount of makeup i had! Sometimes i wear extreme contour, or eyeshadow or highlight and this melts instantly the moment you rub it into your skin and removes every single trace of the makeup i'm wearing! It really didn't disappoint.

However.....within a few days of using it, i started having tiny little breakouts on the side of my cheeks. Like massive tiny little skin like bumps. It wouldn't go away despite using my regular acne medication and went to a dermatologist, i was told i had contact dermatitis.

I'll be honest - i'm not exactly sure if this is the only product that made my face look like this. I added this to my skin care routine as well as the NARS sheer glow foundation in my makeup routine as i purchased them around the same time. It could be both products that aggravated the condition of my skin - to the point where i have been told that i CAN'T wear any sort of makeup at all..........and it has affected my self esteem greatly.

I'm just putting this out there because even I myself really don't know if its this exact product that caused it, but at least it could serve some kind of pre-warning out there, but i could be wrong too so please take it as a pinch of salt and do your research...lesson learnt for me.

Worst part is that because a little of this balm goes such a long way, i have not even used 1/3 of it and i feel like its been wasted. The only thing i put now really is mascara and i use this balm to remove it. So far so good, it does remove extremely effectively with a tiny size amount.

I wasn't too fond of the packaging either. However as this is a balm like texture i can understand.

Overall, i will say that it is a good product, because it does delivers what it promises and does it effectively with a little bit of the product, especially when it retails for like $52 in my country. Minus 2 lippies for its price, packaging and the aftermath of using it.

Hopefully this helps!

on 5/14/2017 4:09:00 PM

Thank God they brought this back!

The makeup remover I have been looking for all of my makeup life.
Pros: completely removes all cosmetics and sunscreen, including long-wearing and waterproof formulations, doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, never burns eyes. Non-drying, has not caused any breakouts or rashes.
Cons: $29 may be quite pricey for some

Does exactly what it says it will, never stings or irritates, taking off make-up is a breeze.

GREAT makeup remover! My daily makeup routine consists of foundation, powder, blush, and 3 coats of waterproof mascara. I had been using Albolene or baby oil to remove the mascara, but wasn't happy with the cleansing power of those products. First of all, I'd have to do multiple applications/wiping to get off all the mascara; second, the oils would get into my eyes and blur my vision for an hour afterwards.

I have sensitive, reaction-prone, oily skin (even at 46) and I've had no problems with this cleanser. Pro top: do NOT wet your hands or face before applying. This reduces the cleanser's ability to dissolve all your makeup. Simply spread about 2 tsp of product between clean dry hands and then smooth over your face. Gently massage over closed eyelids in a circular motion to remove mascara. (You won't have to do much rubbing; the product immediately liquifies with the warmth of your skin and gets to work. Yes, it even makes light work of waterproof eye makeup!)

When it appears all your makeup is dissolved, ONLY THEN should you use water to emulsify and rinse the product away. If you have dry skin, you may not need any additional cleansing. If you have combo or oily skin, you may want to use a foaming wash afterwards.

FWIW, this is the Clinique version of the Estee Lauder Micro Cleansing Balm (Lauder is parent company for Clinique). The Lauder product is more expensive ($45 vs. $29) and the jar is smaller. Just get the Clinique, it's the same thing minus the grapefruity fragrance.

on 4/30/2017 11:04:00 AM

Ok, my first review in I don't know how many years, this is how much this product has wrecked my skin.

My skin has been mostly ok with a basic routine of LRP and Avene products, a Skinceuticals sunscreen and retinaldehyde as an anti-aging/acne treatment, but I was never too happy about the performance of my cleansers and since the sunscreen is partly physical I thought I needed something stronger to remove it.

After a constant mantra and barrage of "double cleansing" and "you need oil to remove sunscreen" on the SCB and a number of beauty blogs I got suckered in by all the raves from people with sensitive and dry skin for this and somehow ignored all the one star reviews that had their skin utterly destroyed by this cleanser. I really wanted this product to work and to believe that I had found the magic cleanser, one that was completely non-irritating yet effective in removing any trace of sunscreen and make-up and yet non-sensitizing and able to keep my complexion crystal clear, if I used it as part of a double cleansing routine.

So unlike I would usually do, I didn't get a sample first, but greedily ordered this online and ignored the redness, unevenness and dehydration after the first use but finally threw in the towel (literally) after three attempts with this. My skin is completely dehydrated and blotchy from irritation now and in the worst condition it has been in years, I'm guessing it's Avene to the rescue.

I did use it correctly and did follow up with a cleanser I knew didn't irritate me, but even that cleanser stung when I applied it after rinsing the TTDO balm which it never did before, guess my skin barrier was already compromised.

on 4/25/2017 7:18:00 AM

Outstanding first step cleanser for removing makeup and being gentle on the skin at the same time. It comes as a waxy consistency which turns to an oily cleanser when applied to your face. There is no residue after rinsing away with water, just clean, soft skin. It is perfect for sensitive and reactive skin types like mine.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Absolutely love this product. I've just started on a 18 step skincare routine and this is my step 1. It's a beautiful product that really cleans your skin without stripping it. It feels luxurious the packaging is beautiful. It's brilliant value for money. I'm very happy with this product. May not be so great for oiley skin although if you double cleanse it shouldn't be a problem I imagine. Great if you are normal to dry. I will repurchase again and again.