CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
Take The Day Off Cleansing BalmTake The Day Off Cleansing BalmClinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.2

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

on 1/17/2012 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I admit, I was skeptical that what looks like a big jar of Vaseline could be such a godsend because this is wonderful stuff; wish I'd tried it sooner! I have dry skin year-round (the worst occuring in winter, naturally), and I wear makeup daily which can consist of all or any combination of SS, moisturizer and/or primer, foundation or TM, blush, concealer, setting powder, brow powder or pencil, brow setting gel or wax, lip stuff (including stains), topped off with waterproof eye makeup - the bane of most removers and cleansers! My hope was to find one product that will cleanse AND remove all of this every night without a lot of effort- much like DHC's Cleansing Oil I used until they raised the price and the mall kiosk I used to buy it from closed. Shiseido's cleansing oil is too pricey, Lancome as well (plus the sample I tried wasn't all that to begin with), MAC's didn't wow me, Lumene doesn't make theirs anymore I can find; jojoba and olive oils were sticky, ineffective and made me feel less cleansed than before I started. Other cleansers, such as Philosophy Purity and Mary Kay Timewise 3-in-1 are still some of my favorites but donít do so well in the makeup-removing part which means an added step with a separate product for just that. My last attempt was good 'ole Ponds Deep Cleansing Cold Cream which worked but had issues. Despite being affordable, it was so strongly scented my husband asked when I started wearing "icky floral perfume" plus it left a filmy residue behind despite my rinsing like Lady Macbeth, requiring an astringent toner to fully remove- something my dry skin definitely doesn't need. After I ran out of ideas, I tried this based on recommendations from the lovely ladies on the makeup board. I'm happy to report that once again, they were spot-on (thanks!)

I know this isn't necessarily cheaper than the others I mentioned but it's a lot easier for me to get IRL or online, via their site or somewhere else (aka whomever is having the best sale and/or GWP at the time!). I already use quite a few Clinique items I consider staples (if not outright HGs: Superbalm moisture gloss, Different & Almost lipsticks, CreamShaper liners, brush spray cleaner, Bottom Lash Mascara) so adding something new to the ďList o' Clinique Stuff I LikeĒ didn't faze me in the least. If anything, it makes me even happier that I can one-stop shop for many of my favs despite that I've never been terribly brand-loyal to begin with.

To use, I scoop out a little with my (clean) fingers, rub between my hands to emulsify into a thinner (but not entirely liquid) consistency, apply to a dry face (important!), work it in a bit to get all the waterproof stuff, then rinse using a soft washcloth or cleansing sponges. No scrubbing needed, no leftover residue (makeup or otherwise); NO scent (Ďickyí or otherwise), no irritation or breakouts, and my skin feels so soft and smooth that I don't need to moisturize afterwards as much as I used to. I still do, but now for more specific purposes rather than just slapping on something to add moisture back to my skin that cleansing just removed, since that's no longer an issue. With this, my skin doesn't feel dry and there isn't a trace of makeup hanging around -no more sad-panda eyes in the morning despite that I thought I got it all the night before (ugh!). I don't have to tug at my lashes to get my mascara off, either. Nor does TTDOB sting or burn my eyes, even when I donít remove my contacts beforehand, whether on purpose or not.

I can see this purple jar of goodness lasting a long time and getting more than my money's worth at the rate I use it; I don't need much to get the job done. I found my all-in-one product which is easy to find, easy to use, and works like a charm. I put some into a little travel size jar so I don't have to take the big jar every time I go on a trip. This definitely lives up to its name and claim :) it does indeed "take the day off" so in the end it's not quite as hokey as it sounds.

... my apologies for another of my overly wordy reviews! Although I think more info is generally better than less, I strive be at least somewhat useful, not just a PITA to wade through :)

on 2/19/2008 9:15:00 AM

Update - having now tried this product for myself, I dont like it at all. It was super drying on my skin, to the point were it made the skin around my mouth feel raw and it felt like the skin would crack if I moved my mouth.

I cant help but notice a lot of you are saying that this has mineral oil in it, and giving it negative reviews. I would like everyone to look at the ingredients list below and take note that there is no mineral oil in this product.

Ingredients: ethylhexyl palmitate, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, polyethylene, peg-5 glyceryl triisostearate, water, tocopherol, phenoxyethanol continued >>

on 12/31/2007 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I think a few people who have reviewed this product and not liked it aren't aware of the fact that this cleanser is for normal to oily to oily skin. And yes, while some might find it odd to put something that feels oily on to oily skin, it makes total sense - after all, oil is what breaks oil down. Plus like someone said, it's mineral oil, so it won't clog your pores.

This is a cleanser I cannot live without. It cleanses everything off my face from long-wearing, full-cover foundation (both Clinique Repairwear and Estee Lauder Doublewear - and anyone who has used DW knows how hard it is to get that one off!) to waterproof makeup. Even with a makeup sealant like Benefit's She-laq. I wear contacts, so I guess I may fall into the sensitive eyes area (although it doesn't feel it, but helpful to know if you're a lense wearer too, I guess) and not once has this irritated my eyes. I have tried the TTDO Cleansing Milk (which is the one for dry skin btw) and unfortunately, that one wasn't formulated well because it STINGS your eyes. Being a consultant, I have to say that I'm always hesitant to recommend the milk, it's that bad - and it's a sentiment shared by others, too.

What I do with the balm is take a fairly small amount - a little bit bigger than my thumbnail - and rub it between my palms. Then I massage it all over my DRY, made-up face, starting with the foundation (cheeks, forehead, chin etc) then move on to the eyes. With my index fingers, I just gently massage it over the entire area, taking care to get right into the lashes with my eyes still closed. Then all I do is just rinse it off. Presto, my face is makeup free, and ready for the face cleanser. And while it does wash off everything, I'd personally recommend you use a separate skin cleanser, since this is more of a makeup cleanser.

But the balm for me just means that there's no more hassle of putting over oily eye makeup remover on to a cotton pad (often one for each eye) and rubbing it with the cotton, only to then go through another step of foam cleanse off my foundation. And being a gentle balm, it means you don't have to worry about the dry finish of strong foam cleansers.

I know some people like washing off their makeup in the shower though, and in that case, the packaging isn't as user friendly. But having said that, how else would you package up a solid balm? I recommend you just get ready for your shower, get the balm, massage it on, then step into the shower to rinse off. Not much harder, really.

I can rave on about this all day - something my friends (with normal to oily skin of course!) who I've recommended it to do so to me now. Sure the makeup remover tissues seem cheaper and seem to do the job, but I really hate the film of cleanser it leaves on my face, even if it's a temporary feeling till I wash it off. Plus, you end up using a wohle packet a month (average packet contains 25-30 tissues) so if you add it all up, the price of the balm (NZD60) isn't actually that expensive for a product that'll last you 3+ months.

If you're someone who wears a good amount of makeup on a daily basis, I say buy this, because it'll ensure that every bit of your makeup is cleansed off, it'll feel comfortable, won't be detrimental to your skin, it's easy to use, and it's a time saver.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I worked for Clinique for a little while and I noticed that a common mistake people make is using this as a cleanser. Pore clogging and breakouts resulting from this product are often a sign that people used it as a cleanser. The correct way to use this is to remove makeup (mostly hard to remove makeup or water proof), after that you still need to cleanse, tone and moisturize.
I think this is a great product if you are using hard to remove products. It basically breaks down waterproof makeup allowing you get rid of residues.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Update May 2014: Since my last update I started wearing face makeup again. I've tried this as my whole-face mu remover and while it removes everything very well, I do feel like it can potentially clog my forehead and that it definitely is drying on my skin. However, my skin cannot tolerate any type of emulsifier (even micelle or milk cleansers) because they will dry and dehydrate me, so for less sensitive skin I would still recommend trying it out.
Update April 2013: Just a quick edit on how I use this now. I take some on my finger, rub over the eye area until the mascara feels dissolved, then get my fingers wet and massage that into the eye area to help emulsify the product more. Then I blot the product and makeup off with a wet cloth. Wiping it off was too irritating and drying, and rinsing it off was messy and sometimes drying as well. This method works very well, I just make sure to press the towel over my skin a few times and it picks up all product.

Claims - True or False?
1) Lightweight: True
2) Quickly dissolves makeup: True
3) Transforms from balm to oil upon application: True
4) Rinses off completely: Mostly true
5) Non-greasy: True
6) Non-drying: False

Packaging:
The balm comes in a purple-tinted glass jar/tub with a metallic plastic screw-on lid. Top and bottom are completely flat which makes for easy storage. The lid comes off and goes back on with ease. Ingredients are placed on the bottom, and instructions/use are printed on the side of the tub; both are very legible. Did not come with extra unnecessary packaging. Based on its formulation a tub design is really the most ideal for the product. Q-tips or spatulas can be used in lieu of clean fingers if hygiene is of that big a concern to you.

Formula:
A white and fragrance-free, thick balm. It feels quite silky and without any tackiness or heaviness. It's not so hard as to make it difficult to take what amount you need. When massaged into skin it becomes a thinner, oilier substance that rinses off fairly well with just water. When wetting the balm over the skin and massaging it becomes more of a milky substance.

Performance:
I do not wear facial makeup and only use this for eye makeup removal, so I cannot attest to its abilities in removal of those forms of cosmetics. However for the eye area it really is a fantastic remover. I had previously tried the bi-phase version of the same line and while it also removed makeup well it was irritating, drying, and the packaging posed some issues for me. This balm removes makeup very quickly and without any additional irritation that a cotton round can cause for more sensitive eyes/skin. It is designed to rinse off completely in water, but I'm not sure if it does. After rinsing I don't feel like I get any residue transfer onto my fingers so it might just be that the skin is far more moist after use as opposed to actual residue. Either way it doesn't concern me enough to deter its use. The only difficulty I had with this remover was when removing waterproof mascara. I normally don't use waterproof but had been testing a new mascara out and while the balm removed it it definitely took more time and massaging, and I'd sometimes be required to use the balm a 2nd time after rinsing. So keep in mind that with waterproof mascara you may need to either double cleanse or simply use a larger quantity of remover. A double cleanse usually does dry out the area a bit, and removing it with a cotton round seems to also lead to dryness; it is best removed by simply rinsing for me. Otherwise it really does remove my makeup entirely with absolutely no residual makeup showing up in the morning. To use I take a small amount onto my finger, massage it right onto my eye area for a while until the makeup seems to be entirely dissolved, and then wipe off with a wet cotton pad. You can proceed to massaging the skin with wet fingers before rinsing but for me this seems to be more likely to dry my skin out. I have also used it for clean up when applying makeup by swiping a q-tip over the top, wiping onto the area, and then wiping with a wet q-tip. As far as breakouts are concerned, I'm not yet sure if it bothers my skin or not. I am very careful to not get it too far away from the eye area but so far my undereye area is still looking good.

Bang for your Buck:
The tub cost $34CAD for 3.8oz. For only eye makeup removal I'd assume that it will last at least 6 months but likely longer as I do not use that much of the product nor do I wear makeup every day. for much heavier makeup it may be used up faster - I'd recommend using as little as possible first and then picking up more product as needed as opposed to starting off with a large glob in order to preserve the product.

Final Consensus:
This really is a great remover, although very sensitive skins and those prone to eczema or acne should use the product with caution. I find it to be more convenient than my previous bi-phase removers and it removes makeup both better and with what seems like less product. I'd definitely recommend this to those seeking a makeup remover, be it for face or just eyes.
* Overall Rating: 4.5/5
* Price: 3/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I purchased my third jar of this makeup remover yesterday. I have used this product twice before but ended up either getting bored with it and trying something new, or left it in the bathroom where my sister would quickly snatch it up. I decided to purchase it again even though itís expensive because I love Clinique and all their products are fragrance free which is important to me. I wear a lot of makeup daily, especially around the eyes and was using Pondís Make-up Remover with Cucumber Extract to remove everything at night. The Pondís is great and affordable, BUT it has a scent that always irritates my eyes, sometimes to the point where I would wake up with cysts developing on my bottom lash line. I have combination/oily skin that is breakout prone and I can say from previous usage that this product has never broken me out, however the oil can be quite awkward to use. Even though this product is expensive, well to me, $27.50 for 3.8 oz of product, it will last a long time if you are careful with each use. I scoop out maybe a dime sized worth of product with a q-tip and rub it between my handsí which quickly turns the balm into an oil. Then I gently rub the oil onto my face for maybe a minute. I save the eye area for last, and this is when it gets a little awkward, well at least for me. I then just take my hands and gently swipe them over my eyes, coating them in the makeup remover. Then I Just carefully rub it in, paying close attention to my lashes ( I am so used to using a cotton ball with the ponds on it that it feels odd to just use my hands!). By the time I am done, I resemble a raccoon, so I get a warm washcloth and gently remove the oil from my face and eyes. When I am finished, there isnít any trace of makeup left, not even the slightest bit of mascara or eyeliner is left anywhere on my lash line! Finally, because Iím acne prone, I use my regular cleanser to cleanse my face and neck. This product is truly outstanding! It removes makeup without much rubbing and doesnít dry or irritate the skin! It also won"t sting the eyes but can cause eye blurr. One last thing that I would like to mention is that if you are acne prone, or have oily skin you can still use this as long as you use your regular cleanser afterwards, otherwise this WILL break you out! I will never stray away from this product again!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

If, each morning, you are the type to layer sunscreen, primer, foundation, concealer, powder...and so on...you need *this* to take it all off. Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm is a gentle, fragrance-free white balm that breaks down even the heaviest makeup and sunscreens and rinses away without the need for wipes. I've used this for several years and it's a HG Hall of Fame product in my cleansing routine. I will use it as long as Clinique makes it!
How you use it: The balm is designed to be applied dry, so scoop a small amount out and gently massage into dry skin. It will transform from a white balm into a clear fluid oil as you massage it in. You may use bare fingers or a scrublet pad (Sephora's Precision Pore Cleansing Pad) to help the balm break down all those layers of beauty products. (This cleanser needs some sort of friction to lift and break down makeup - it won't do it completely on its own - so make sure all areas of your skin get at least a few passes with your fingers before you remove it.) I found it takes me about 20 seconds of light massage to get a thorough cleanse.
The best way to remove the balm is to rinse it off. It breaks down easily with water and "almost" all of it removes with a thorough rinsing, the "almost" part is why I do follow up with a gentle cleanser afterward. I find this rinses away cleaner than comparable liquid oil-cleansing products like DHC or Shu Uemura - those I noticed leave a bit more residue after rinsing.
One tub should last you at least 4 months of regular use if you use a generous amount with cleansing (about 1/4 tsp). I don't find the balm to be particularly drying, but it's not hydrating either. Finish your skin care routine with your moisturizer of choice. continued >>

*HG* Highly recommended for oily skin and sensitive skin.

Recently confirmed that this is a must-have for me when I went without it for two weeks, relying on cetaphil and foaming cleanser. Within days, my skin started to feel scaly and bumpy, and I developed an outbreak of cystic acne on my chin. I haven't had a break-out in 15 years. It only took a few days back on the Cleansing Balm for my skin to feel baby-smooth again, and the zits are clearing up quickly considering they were pretty deep.

I have extremely sensitive, reactive, dehydrated, oily skin. For as long as I can remember, I've used long-wearing foundation to stand up to the oil, starting with Revlon ColorStay and ending with my favorite, MUFE Face & Body. Washing that off is not easy with a foaming, soap-based cleanser; I often had to wash twice to get the makeup off, which seriously stripped my skin. This Balm is thorough and gentle. I do use a gentle foaming cleanser or dove soap afterwards, but many have done well without this extra step.

***Major Bonus*** Since I started using this, my lashes are longer and have noticeably more body. I also seem to have grown a second tier of upper lashes. I know, amazing. I did not get this from the DHC. Works even better if I start massaging the balm into my lashes before moving on to the rest of my face, then avoid the eye area when I use the foaming cleanser. I'm guessing it's something about the safflower oil in this.

*On cleansing oils*
I don't know how I got by before I discovered cleansing oil/balm. For the uninitiated, this is distinct from the oil-cleansing method (OCM), which calls for a straight-up oil like olive or coconut. The Cleansing Balm/cleansing oil is based on the same principle of like-dissolves-like : oils dissolve oils, water dissolves water (think of how much gentler and more effective an oil-based eye-makeup remover is than one that is oil-free). Unlike the OCM, though, the Cleansing Balm is engineered to dissolve in water as well, which means that after dissolving all the oil and makeup in the dry phase, it rinses clean once you add water, washing everything away. Meaning no pore-clogging oil particles. It does help to be fairly meticulous about using totally dry hands on a totally dry face in the beginning. I can't emphasize this enough. Blot your lips/eyes/nose right before if necessary; the technology just doesn't work as well if there's any kind of water when you first put it on.

*Compared to DHC Deep Cleansing Oil*
I was a longtime DHC deep cleansing oil user until one day last year, when I didn't feel like waiting for the mail...I'm thrilled that I gave this a shot, because as much as I like the DHC, I was getting annoyed with the mail-order-only aspect-- the waiting, the shipping charges, feeling like I had to bulk order to save on shipping, etc. The Clinique Cleansing Balm works just as well as the DHC in terms of gentle but thorough make-up removal, and I find that the solid form is easier to deal with (travels better) and more shelf-stable than the liquid-and-pump situation (I've had the DHC go off).
The DHC rinses to a squeakier clean, but like I said, the Clinique has done great things for my skin and my lashes -- without the hassle. I also think it lasts a bit longer b/c you have more control over how much you use.

on 2/4/2016 4:45:00 AM

Absolutely horrendous. I tried this in good faith, since many people seem to rave about this product being HG status and "ok to use on acne prone skin."

How wrong I was to trust this faith; I have mild/moderate acne, usually due to over washing my face/being overzealous in testing new products. My skin does clog easily, however, I figured that since this product did contain comedogenic ingredients, I would simply follow up with a cleanser afterwards to remove any film/residue left behind. Unfortunately, within a few hours I could see closed comodones appearing on my cheek area (where I'm especially prone to clogging).

Even with a follow up, gentle cleanser afterwards, this product still managed to wreak havoc on my face in under 24 hours.

I have to emphasize, tread carefully if you have sensitive skin that is prone to clogging. For me, I can't use any Cerave or Cetaphil products because their ingredients clog my pores like no other. Usually Clinique is okay for my skin, but sadly not with this product. I wanted it to work so badly (considering I paid a whopping 40$ for it...)

Ultimately, I may use this as an eye makeup remover/under eye concealer remover (not prone to breakouts in my eye area) since I doubt Sephora will allow me to return it having dipped my fingers in it already.

Please, if you think you could breakout from this, just avoid it completely. I'd rather have some makeup leftover on my face and cause a few clogs than have it completely removed with this balm, yet my face entirely ruined.

Skin: Other, Tan, Warm

In a word... AMAZEBALLS. I don't know why I waited so long to try this because it's changed my (skincare) life. I have used cleansing oils for several years (Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Boscia, DHC, etc) but never liked any of them as much as TTDO Balm... and ya know why? It's because with TTDO Balm I do NOT have to use a cleanser afterward. It's fragrance free and removes all of my makeup just like an oil BUT it rinses super cleanly and leaves my face feeling balanced and happy. REN has a product that is similar and works just as well however it smells like roses (which I like, though some people don't) and is MUCH more expensive per ounce. I highly recommend this and will repurchase.