MAC Veluxe Pearl - Twinks

MAC Veluxe Pearl - Twinks
MAC Sensualize vs Twinks

4.6

I love the complexity of this shadow. It is so many thing depending on what you wear or pair with it. Don't let the color in the pan fool you. When applied Twinks is a pretty sheer, buildable bronzey-plummy-brown. It's gorgeous all on its on with a highlight shade and liner...a perfect semi-smokey eye for those of us that can't really pull off a smokey eye. The lasting power is average (when used with UD PP) and I'm not really thrilled with the VP texture...but whatever. I really like this shadow but I don't find it at all unique (Stila Barefoot Contessa and UD Roach are very, very similar if not exact duplicates) but I would still consider it a must-have for all MAC lovers or newbies.

on 12/11/2009 1:59:00 PM

I absolutely LOVE this color. I have dark green eyes and very pale skin, and I mostly use it as a liner. This eyeshadow makes my eyes stand out more than any other I've ever used, and really compliments almost all of my warmer lid colours. I'm just sad that I purchased so many other dark plummy brown MAC shades before I found this one.

on 2/23/2009 9:39:00 AM

Upon first glance, this eyeshadow just looks like a regular brown. When I compared it to my other browns, (Bronze, Tempting, etc) you can see that Twinks has a hint of plum to it. I have hazel eyes, so plum is the perfect color to enhance them. This is practically HG status. It brings out my hazel eyes in the best way. I pair it with Sketch (a dark burgandy/purple) in the crease and Shroom (light ivory)to highlight and it's plummy perfection :) Meep.

on 9/21/2010 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

This was one of my first MAC e/s. I love wearing it by its self, or with woodwinked on the lid, expensive pink in the outer corner and twinks in the crease or with sable on the lid and twinks in the crease. This is such a pretty color and quite versatile. The woodwinked/expensive pink/twinks look also looks great with tarnish e/l or any dark green liner. I had it for four years and was getting color from the edges before I finally ordered a new one. Great color!
UPDATE: Another great combo with this e/s is pairing it with All That Glitters on the lid and Twinks in the crease. It's one of those looks that make me look in the mirror and go *ooh ahh*!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This color brings out my green eyes like nothing I have ever painted my eyes with. It is a deep plummy reddish brown. I like to put Antiqued on my lid, Twinks in my crease, smut on outer v, and dazzlelight or vanilla pig. to highlight and inner 1/3 of the lid and tear duct. This is a great dramatic look for green eyed girls. Your eyes will glow! I love the texture and pigmentation of this shadow, like all the MAC shadows I've tried.

LOVE.. LOVE... LOVE.. THIS COLOR.. I AM ON MY THIRD ONE!! MAKES MY GREEN EYES POP!

on 11/17/2005 9:43:00 AM

When the new Veluxe Pearls came out, this was one of the ones that caught my eye. A few people mentioned that this is similar to Mulch, and since I don't own Mulch, I wanted to buy Twinks because of the VP finish. As with all VP finishes, the quality of this e/s is superb. Intially I wore this paired with Expensive Pink or Woodwinked, but it wasn't enough of a contrast to make them stand out. On my lids, Twinks doesn't show up very well for some reason - in my MAC pan, this sits side by side with my Milani Java Bean and they look very similar. I tested a swipe of Twinks and Milani Java Bean and I liked Java Bean better - I didn't like the red undertones of Twinks, and on my lids JB is much more pigmented (I'm NC30). I swapped this away, but I might check out Mulch in the future.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

One of my favourite Mac eyeshadows. Twinks is stunning on my grey/blue/greeny eyes. It is quite sheer but will apply much more pigmented if you wet your brush first. I don't like to waste this colour in my crease because I think it really comes to life when you build it up on the lid for a gorgeous vampy plummy red brown smokey eye.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I agree with the other reviewers that the pigment for this shadow is lacking and there's a reason why I don't reach for it all that often.
I need to use it with other shadows (All That Glitters and Texture come to mind) and it would be decent for a neutral eye look.
It does lean towards the red but not as much as Mulch.
There are better MAC shadows than this one.

on 1/31/2014 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Love Twinks! I have had it in my stash for ages but never seemed to reach for it that often. But recently I used it thinking it was Mac Mulch. I loved it! It's a warm, slightly shimmery brown with hints of purple. I have dark brown almost black eyes and it brings out the warm brown colour in my eyes. I wear it in my crease and slightly above, its a dream to apply and blends with no effort. I've even started wearing it to work which is saying something as I have no extra time in the morning to be faffing with eyeshadow! I like to pair it with Mac Retrospeck on the lid. Im nc30 for reference.