L'Artisan Fragrances Safran Troublant

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

L'Artisan released Safran Troublant in a trio of spice perfumes called Les Epices de la Passion. Also part of the set were Poivre Piquant and Piment Brulant. Never smelled 'em so I can't critique the album, per se. Just the song. And the song is Safran Troublant.

It's got a voice like Bonnie Raitt, or Mary Chapin: dry, warm, and intelligent with no excess. This is Tracy Chapman singing "Give Me One Reason".

You know all the words. You love to sing it. It's no aria, but it's not supposed to be. It's an acoustic blues number that ain't so blue. It's simple in that perfectly rendered manner in which adding something would only take away.

The only Reason I usually need to turn right back around when it comes to perfume is spice. And Safran Troublant has that very thing.

I am a fan of the Inedible Gourmands. That is, perfumes full of foodie type things without all the sugar. That leaves a lot of gourmands behind to stay in their cotton candy shrouded bakeries. The inedible gourmands, if done badly, smell like potpourri. But if done well, they make my heart sing. And they sing songs of warmth and spice and everything nice. And then sometimes things you can't talk about in front of Grandma like tobacco and underpants. Well not my grandma at least. She was a lady.

Safran Troublant is NOT a lady but also is not particularly a gent either and that makes it all the better. It just smells good. It is a state of being rather than a persona. It is dry and warm and autumnal. It is a sunny early October afternoon.

My best friend recently informed me I overuse the word Autumnal. It's because of perfumes like Safran Troublant. Plus, risking being called, ahem, "basic", Fall is my favorite season. (video upcoming)

This is not, however, the perfume equivalent of a pumpkin spice latte and a pair of Uggs.

What makes this little saffron number so special? Well, for one, the saffron.

NEW SPICE GIRL: SAFFRON SPICE.

Who is Saffron Spice?

Connie Britton?

The Dalai Lama?

No. This is a gingery cat napping in a pool of sun. Trick question.

Saffron's not a typical perfume note. Not unheard of, but unusual. I dig saffron both for it's color and flavor and because of this, its smell. It's so golden. And don't worry, no paella here. Others may disagree but it ain't paella until I'm disrobing a prawn and staining my shirt with paprika while being a little germaphobic about that sharing thing.

Plus here? There's cinnamon. When it comes to perfume I like my cinnamon not ensconced in a bun but rather dry in the sun. Raspy almost. I have read other reviews and no one seems to mention the cinnamon but dammit this is cinnamon. And maybe nutmeg and cardamom. Chai but no latte. Like...chai. The real thing. I was once on an elevator with a couple coworkers, one of whom is originally from India and the other from China. They were already on the elevator when I arrived so I caught them mid-conversation and it went something like this:

Coworker 1: I don't understand. The word for tea is "chai". They say "chai tea." They are effectively saying "tea tea."
Coworker 2: (just sagely nods)

This is that chai. A mixture of spices with a pinch of cream, served in a rose rendering it beautiful but not drinkable and all the more wearable.

Not just any old rose, mind you. A jar of rose jam.

If I abuse another word more than "Autumnal" it might be "Jammy". I love jammy. Jammy perfumes, jammy wines, jimmy jams, Jimmy Johns jibber jabber jibber jabber jammy jammy jammy. Give me a jar of rose jam and a jammy zinfandel and some cool jams and I will be set. LL Cool J. This lady loves Cool Jams.

Er...slow jams. Avec Epices.

L'artisan calls Safran Troublant "just a little dangerous." I mean...maybe like George Costanza in his bad boy phase which is to say...

Not at all. Not at all dangerous. Perhaps has an orthopedic back pillow.

Okay, maybe not. It's too cool and unusual for that. But I'll let L'Artisan keep crying wolf if this is what I find when I arrive. Safran Troublant lies at the heart of my perfume soul. Spices, warmth, rose and very little sugar. I venture outside this cozy cabin often but it's nice to return home for a tea, a kitty and a snooze in the sun.

It's simple. Sometimes the best things are. Like I said before, "Give Me One Reason to Stay Here...and I'll turn right back around. Because I told you I loved you, and there ain't no more to say."

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My one and only complaint about this fragrance is that its longevity is only around 4 hours, which is not bad as fragrances go, but considering the high price tag, feels wasteful. I'm not sure if that's a fair reason to knock a rating down, as perhaps a fragrance like this can't be made to last longer than it does, and it does cost a lot to manufacture something like this, but there you have it.

Safran Troublant is a soft, cuddly, but utterly unique, gently sweet saffron, vanilla, rose fragrance. Saffron seems unique among culinary spices already, having this irresistible dusty, slightly bitter, but creamy and piquant profile that reminds me a little bit of the smell of old pulp paperbacks. Layering it over such a soft, cloudy, milky vanilla lightly touched by velvety pink rose petals, brings out the flavors of saffron all the more distinctly. The saffron, being so utterly unique in perfume, makes this a very distinctive, exotic, and maybe even mysterious scent, while being at the same time, very approachable, and as harmless and soft as a purring kitten.

I really admire this fragrance, and would love to wear it as a bedtime or lazy morning in bed fragrance to be enjoyed with a good book and a cup of tea, or as a fragrance to wear with good friends and loved ones. It would pare well with any good meal, but especially something homemade and cooked with love. I don't find it particularly sexy, but it is intimate, and so begs closer proximity because it's so bewitchingly mouthwatering.

To Read all 57 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/28/2012 12:46:00 AM

This fragrance is just lovely - very soft and feminite. I have a small sample of it and have worn it twice. The previous descriptions of the notes are accurate, so I won't repeat previous reviews. Unfortunately, the sillage and longevity are just too weak for me to spend $145 on a full bottle.

on 8/28/2012 8:34:00 AM

amazzzzing saffron/sandal/rose perfume....at first I got CdSP Coeur Vahine,exotic fruity smell, but after a 15 minutes I got amazing and a little dirty sandalwood...
beautiful perfume, but as with all L'Artisan perfumes, very poor longievity...2 hrs.MAX!!

it has some KenzoJungle Elephant aspect to it (Lapsang S.tea), but in time gets more moist and peperry on me...spiced tea with saffron and condensed milk in a sandalwood cup!!
delightfull!!

on 4/16/2012 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This just strikes a chord of perfection in me. I find it just so hauntingly sweetly beautiful; I imagine a soft warm but autumnal wind coming from far-away steppes, bringing dreams and memories of far-away places.
It was the first 'full bottle' I bought when the perfume collecting urge took over a few years ago, when I broke my pact with Mitsouko and L Heure Bleue and Diorissimo. I do not see it as 'rose' and 'saffron', although apparently that is the major theme; a beautiful sensual oriental, close and persistent, unique and memorable.

Oh, this is such a wonderful scent. It doesn't feel spicy to me at all, and barely rosy, just a hint. What I do get is a comforting sweetness, though not at all sugary or cloying. A creamy sandalwood pudding, a warm bath lightly infused with milk and rose petals and a deep, enveloping hug. This smells like the grown up version of nightly rituals - bedtime stories and and being tucked in for slumbers , sweet dreams and all.

Notes: saffron, sandalwood, rose and vanilla.

This fragrance opens with spicy saffron which thankfully is not as loud as it is in Aoud Saffron. Here it is a well-behaved spice on a base of sandalwood; rose further brightens the heavy main note. This is a well-blended fragrance as it allows all the different ingredients to shine. As it progresses vanilla joins the composition. After that the scent could be described as woody with a touch of vanilla and rose with saffron as the base that adds depth and spiciness to the whole accord. The fragrance is rather simple and very nice to wear but rather feminine due to the vanilla and rose. The strength and sillage is moderate. Lasts for more than 4 hours on my skin.

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Wish this was a little heavier in scent/ sillage. This one must vary widely depending on skin chemistry. On me, it's spicy, warm, even hot. Troubling only in sexiness! It smells like a red dried Thai chili pepper, warmed up with saffron and cinnamon, a delightful spice that is sheer and plays on the skin. It is simultaneously deep yet transparent and wears very close; it's very subtle. Too subtle, ultimately, for me to notice unless I stick my nose right to my wrist, and even then I can barely smell it.

It's very Oriental and sensual. This is definitely an erotic scent. Love it! I bet Sagittarians totally go for this, when they're not rolling around in MKK or some other such musk. Reminds me of taking a warm candlelit spice bath at midnight during a rainstorm. A sexy wiccan goddess would wear this. Since my skin totally devours it, though, I think it is sadly better left to others. Perhaps a decant in the future? I have a feeling I will be revisiting this one.

Also, I detect no rose or milkiness whatsoever in this, on me it is a very light, sheer, transparent spicy hot sexy deep saffron-cinnamon scent.

on 2/1/2011 5:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I had a bottle of this an I loved it. It is sweet and spicy an interesting scent that you don't typically come across. The only thing I noticed as time went on was that it kind of smells like a Chai Latte from Starbucks, lol. Once I realized that, I couldn't wear it again. Its an interesting one for me it just got a little common when I made the Chai latte association.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Safran Troublant is one of Olivia Giacobetti's beautiful fragrances. Although all of Ms. Giacobetti's fragrances are light, well balanced, almost ethereal, Safran Troublant is a little too sweet for my taste. Although it is beautiful and bekons to be worn more in fall/winter rather than in summer. The rose in this is magnificiant .. along with the saffron notes. However, you should try this if you like most of her fragrances. Long lasting for a L'Artisan fragrance as well.

Popular Fragrances