Clairol Born Blonde Maxi

3.4

on 5/16/2016 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

It's bleach. Of course it will not turn box black dye platinum blonde or anything, but it's a pretty strong bleach. Obviously you'll need a toner after. This stuff bleached henna out of my hair. It was also the only bleach I've used that has burned the ever loving daylights out of my scalp. What volume - it doesn't say! And what's the liquid that comes with it (not the developer it has like a little dye bottle too maybe to drab it or something). Normally I purchase big bleach + developer of my choice but I was out and had a middle of night emergency and got this at a 24 hour rite aid. Bleaches I have used: quick blue, blondor creme, blonde brilliance, light master, blondme. Yes I've bleached my hair a lot. Oh and the creme bleach Sallys sells - -age beautiful or something (rubbish). The best out of those would be the higher end ones - light master or blondme... Creme blondor is great but hard to wash out of hair. Why I'm saying all of this is that, in a pinch, this is an *okay* bleach, but it burns is very strong and does not perform as well as others. I would buy again if I were having another middle of night emergency, but would ensure my scalp was coated with coconut oil and hopefully my natural oils. And please be sure to have something to tone on hand. If you have box or salon artificial oxidative dye in your hair, use a color REMOVER (not stripper): color fix or color oops first and save yourself a lot of heartache. If you have a fashion color that's not a barely-there pastel on blonde hair, say a dark red or purple, it's worth a shot to try the color remover before bleach but gradual fading with head n shoulders, vit C etc are better. Pastels will bleach right out with this. I'm sure this would also take a dark blonde to a nice pale yellow. Oh last but not least: I find it WAY easier to mix bleach in a bowl with a brush than in a bottle! Just sayin. Happy bleaching.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I walked into Walmart, and me being me, I had to look at the hair dye. I usually dye my hair once a month, and I usually dye it very unordinary colors (blue, bright red, pink, purple, etc.). The last time I dyed it was about 2 months ago, but I dyed it black. It was fairly faded and was a medium-dark brown. Some areas were lighter than others because i ran out of dye before I finished completely. Anyway, I went to walmart and looked at the dyes. I wanted to go blonde so that I can dye my hair green. This product looked very very promising at first. Oh, hahahahahaha...how wrong I was... I didn't use tinfoil, I just applied it to my hair like I would with any dye. I know I got it evenly on. I waited almost an hour and only the front of my hair and my roots (I'm naturally blonde) were lightened. My roots were bleach blonde. I thought "oh, that's alright, it'll probably lighten once I wash it out!" I was half right, I guess. I went into the shower and started wetting my hair. The water was black due to the color stripping. I thought I'd be blonde like it advertised. But once I got out, it was still medium-dark brown. It got a slight burgundy tint to it, but that's all it really did, besides bleach my roots and the front of my hair. So now I'm left with patches of different colors that range from medium-dark brown, to burgundy, to dark blonde, to almost white. I do not recommend this product to people that have dyed black hair. It only will leave your hair feeling dry, it makes your scalp super itchy, and not to forget; the dye smells absolutely terrible. The smell chemically burned my nasal passage and irritated my eyes. So, I'm very disappointed with this. But I'm rating it a 2 because I didn't completely dye it like how I should've (with tin foil, and waiting longer). It didn't work for me.

To Read all 56 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/22/2015 3:24:00 PM

My hair is naturally a very dark brown and I've been slathering brown / reddish dyes on it for years. This year I decided to go lighter and was thrilled when I found Born Blonde Maxi at my local drug store.

Being completely new to bleach, the first time I used this product I didn't saturate my hair enough and I ended up with minimal results. The second time, I used all the product (my hair is elbow length, if that makes sense). I went from a dark brown to a pumpkin orange. Toner has helped quite a bit, now I'm more of a dark strawberry blonde. I left the bleach in for the full 90 mins and my roots for less than 10 mins. My ends are still fairly dark, maybe a medium to light brown, but I'm hoping one more round of bleach will correct that.

This whole process has been a learning experience for me and I'm grateful to have used Born Blonde to simplify the procedure. It's important to note that you can't really go from dark to bright blonde in one sitting. It's a process. I stripped the brown, which is why I was left with pumpkin orange. When I strip the pumpkin, I'll have more of a yellow blonde colour.

As a newbie with no bleach experience, I would definitely use this product again. Each box cost me $12, which is what I normally pay for dye and the convenience factor can't be beat.

I was very excited to find a hair dye that claimed to dye black/dark brown hair to bleach blonde. I waited 24 hours after washing my hair to dye it. Followed the instructions very exact, even left the dye on for ten extra minutes longer than what the box said, which said 90 minutes. My hair came out this awful brassy/orange color! I was very irritated because the box made it appear that you have bleached hair (or close to it) after one dye session! I have now dyed it a second time, this time my hair is literally bright yellow. This is ridiculous! Maybe third time will be a charm... But this is some extreme FALSE advertising. Won't be buying this again.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Best bleach I've found to get my naturally very dark brown hair to lift to a pale blonde with no yellow. Be sure to look on the box and get the Born Blonde Maxi for dark blonde to black hair. The regular born blonde will not lift very dark brown or black hair past orange. I've made this mistake before. The other reviews saying it didn't lift enough, were probably bc the person didn't leave it on long enough, or it was not the born blonde maxi. I've had great results with this product, and highly recommend it!

on 10/7/2014 10:52:00 AM

I LOVE this dye. But when I do my hair my roots are a little yellow then the rest of my hair. My natural hair color is a dark blonde. I've been using this dye fot years. But I was wondering if there was a certain Toner I could use for my hair after I dye it with this hair dye?!?! Most the time I use two boxes to get my hair as light as possible. But my roots will most of the time turn a lil more yellow then the rest of my hair. Any advice???

on 8/10/2014 11:40:00 AM

This DOES work but if it turns out TOO yellow you either didn't leave on long enough or you need a stronger bleach. HOWEVER it most like is that YOU SHOULD tone it after you lift the color to pale yellow. GO TO YOUTUBE and research. There's lots of info.

AFTER hair is lifted to a pale yellow go buy T18 and developer at Sally's. The girls at Sally's know what this is so talk to them and they will help you find it. Follow the directions AFTER YOU LIFT with Born Blonde. REMEMBER - follow the directions on the toner and developer perfectly.

Leave mixture on for only 8-12 minutes or you will have a light purple tint BUT THAT WILL go away after a couple of washes.

on 12/24/2013 2:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I don't see why everyone is hating on this product. Its either you guys do not know how to bleach your hair, or youre all just stupid. Its bleach. It does what it says it does, and lift colour. Ive used almost every boxed bleach possible. I used to use Blondissma, but i wanted something new. My favorite bleach got discontinued so i bought this.
My hair at the time of bleach was purple, bright purple. My roots were black about 3 inches. (hadnt bleached since summer) The minute i put this onto my purple, im not even lying, it immediately turned blonde. I was a little scared. After applying to my whole head, i left it on for about 20 minutes. The black part was as i knew it would, be orange yellow. But it was a lot more blonde than using blondissma. The purple was now WHITE. Platinum blonde WHITE. I love it. I just did it yesterday. I used a conditioner on it after and my hair is just as good as it was before. I love this bleach and until i find something better, i think im gonna keep using this. Hope it doesnt get discontinued like my last one

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So I just bought this hair lightening kit? Is it good? My hair had been dyed many times and then I let it grow out to the my natural hair which is a medium brown and I have natural red tints...will this work for me?

This bleach sucks, I've used it twice. Once to take my hair from black told gold coppery orange, and just now to bleach over top of already yellowy hair and it did nothing it didnt lift it at all, this bleach smells absolutely horrible !