Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

4.6

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

First thing that caught my eye was the packaging, it was absolutely gorgeous in the mannequin shaped bottle. The scent is quite strong, I had only sprayed it once on and wrist and it pretty much last the entire day.

Like perfumes, it is quite strong in the beginning but after awhile when it has died down a little, it is a rather floral smell, almost smelling like dried flowers. Very refreshing and a lovely smell but not something so strong that would give you headaches! It is not overpowering and contrary to what has been said, I think it would work just as well for day as for night although I would not overuse it too much.

on 5/20/2012 4:04:00 PM

I simply LOVE this fragrance. It's strong, vibrant, and very sexy. It's so powdery and so sweet. I think it's very over the top in every way and that's exactly what I love about it. It makes me think of very luxurious things. But old luxury, if that makes sense. Not a brand new sportscar, but an oldtimer. Not a villa in Hollywood, but a mansion on the English countryside.
It actually reminds me of very old, very good whiskey. It has that same boozy velvety texture.
To me it smells like make-up, whiskey, vanilla, and a lot of spicy florals. I absolutely love the ginger and the anise (I'm a HUGE fan of anise notes) blending beautifully with the ylang ylang and the orange blossom. My friend said it reminded her of old fashioned sweets, and I totally get that.

Though I really love this fragrance, I can not wear it every day (well, it wasn't made to be worn all day either). It's just too much over the top. I can only wear it when I'm dressed up for a chique occasion. When everything else is perfect, Classique is the icing on the cake.

I must say I prefer this to the EDP. The EDP is softer, gentler, more mature. Like the more grown up sister of the sparkly EDT. There character is in essence alike, but they are very different.

I do not really get the fuss around the bottle. I quite like it. It's a mannequin, that's all. It adds to the luxurious feel of this fragrance. And the corset is very... I would not say funny, but I can not really find another word to describe it in English. The corset makes me smile. In a good way.

on 4/23/2011 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I do love the Classique EDT! Interestingly, the EDP is too much on my skin- I can't stand it. However, the EDT is one of my favorite perfumes and it smells wonderful. It has a warm combination of vanilla, amber and rose, and I disagree strongly that it has a "brash" or "old lady" smell. The trail is great too: distinct but not cloying.

Luckily I just got a new bottle in a swap, so I will be happily spraying once more. Most of Gautier's scents seem to click with my chemistry, but in a more gourmand way than anything else. That's not to say they're too sweet, because they're not in my opinion, but they all tend to have a rice pudding drydown. (Not a criticism... I like that!)

on 4/27/2010 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Oh my, how I love this. I tend to get bored with perfumes quickly, but there's something about this one that makes me happy and want to wear it all the time. I think it's because there's so much to it: rose/amber/spice/vanilla/musky/powdery/floral/gourmand-y goodness with just a touch of nail polish and baby wipes to keep the fragrance surprising and not overly sweet. I love it from the effervescent opening to the powdery vanilla-mingled-with-skin drydown. Classique truly does last all day, and if I spritz it on my neck, I still catch occasional wafts of it many hours later.

I was originally expecting to like the EDP more, but it barely showed up on me, as do many soft fragrances, unfortunately. So if you have the same issue, try the EDT. The powdery quality of Classique isn't for everyone, but it makes me happy. :)

The lotion smells closer to the EDP, but it still pairs nicely with the EDT.

Although the bottle is aesthetically pleasing, it's true that the cap /pump can get stuck, so I hope it doesn't break with time. :( Also, your fingerprints show up on the etched part of the bottle, so try to avoid touching it.

Proof that sex sells! Ha, this bottle is amazing!

Oddly enough, I was on a family trip to Barbados and while at the duty free my father passed me the bottle and said it smelt good. He was right I loved it, instantly! I used it so much that it would be on me while putting on make up so my brushes even smelt like Classique.

I've been wearing it since I was 16. I've slowed down lately on wearing it however because it is stronger and everyone knows me by this scent. To prove my point an ex boyfriend walked by a room that I normally wouldnt be in and went to the doorway & asked if i was there because he could smell me! Ha!

I love to wear this when I go out to clubs, it makes me feel like a sex bomb. I imagine that this would be something Sophia Loren would wear. I just love how seductive the scent is and how it doesnt fade at all.

I will always have a bottle on my shelf. Sadly this September I picked up the EDP version and found out that it was different scent.

Hopefully I can pawn it off to a little cousin and then go grab another bottle of the original.