Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

3.9

on 6/28/2016 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Old Hollywood Glamour - I wanted to try this because Im a vintage enthusiast of all things. I was reading an article with Dita Von Teese and she mentioned JPG Classique and that is smelled like MAKEUP. I was SO excited to try this and it does smell like old rouge or powder. It may sound weird but you are instantly reminded of that scent from your Grandmothers cosmetics – in a good way. On me - this is powdery, creamy spicy vanilla fragrance. I dont get any fruitiness or the oranges. Its definitely not for those ladies who prefer light fruity scents and this is best suited for cooler evening weather. I LOVE it but it is a vintage type of smell.

on 1/16/2016 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

JPG's Classique is one of the very few scents where I slightly favor the EDT over the EDP. I reviewed the EDP separately and gave it four stars. Usually, when given a choice, I much prefer the deeper, warmer EDP versions, for the additional ambery notes, and not least because EDPs usually last better on my skin. Not so with Classique. While I also own and like the EDP I got to sample the EDT a while after buying the EDP and side by side I noticed that there is a distinct difference in the overall impression of this perfume. Similar to Chanel No.5 I find the Classique EDT a lot more transparent and bright, but without being thin or fleeting. So the longevity of EDT and EDP is similar on my skin but I prefer the EDT's dry down because its rummy/ambery notes are less pronounced and the vanilla and orange notes are more prominent. Personally, I don't think either of the Classiques is girly, they are fragrances for a confident woman, I'd put them in the same league as Black Orchid, which is another masterpiece. Great choices for going out or on the weekends.

on 3/3/2015 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got this perfume in the ''Intense classique'' version, and this is WAY too intense for me. It's really strong, last all day and doesn't fade. I asked coworkers and they could not tell me that it was too strong but I smelled it each time I moved. Not for me but I'm pretty sure many strong perfume ladies will love it.

on 9/6/2013 12:04:00 PM

I smelled this fragrance once and i just loved it.
I used to think this fragrance is something for women older than me, but now it is my favourite one. It's a fragrance that just stays on all day and makes you feel cozy and comfortable. It becomes a part of you.

on 5/10/2013 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love JPG Classique EDT and wore a lot of it last Fall/Winter, day after day. I was hooked on it for awhile -- unusual for me, since I generally rotate daily. It's pretty strong; you have to just use a tiny spritz, but then it's so soft, warm, and comforting -- especially in cool or cold weather.

JPG Classique EDT is soft, musky, warm, and the EDT version is somewhat powdery. The EDP version is more gourmandy, adding vanilla & rum notes, and it's luscious in its own right. The EDP version lacks the powdery quality of the EDT. I own both versions, and originally I much preferred the EDP, but now I prefer the EDT.

I once sniffed the trail of a lady at the mall on my lunch hour. She was very well-dressed and coifed, wearing a business suit & heels -- 40-something, I think -- and she was walking like a TRAIN! Her trail of perfume was one of the best I've ever smelled in my life -- and I was speed-walking like crazy way behind her, in her wake, trying desperately to catch up and ask her what it was, my brain meanwhile flipping through the possibilities of what it could be.

But I never could catch her. Sadly, I'll always always wonder. I live in a small town without niche scents, so I'm pretty sure I knew the perfume very well and likely actually owned it myself -- it was probably easily found at Belk, Dillard, Macy's, or Ulta (that's all we have around here). I have a lot of trouble recognizing perfumes on others in public, even those I actually own & wear myself.

Hers was one of the whiffs in public that has absolutely blown me away, and I'll never forget it. At first, it just floated off of her like a delicious warm musk -- that's all. I couldn't identify any particular notes -- her trail just smelled warm and musky. It was almost like an upscale Jovan Musk for Women -- the drydown gave an overall "impression* to me of warm musk. Yet it wasn't any straight-up musks from drug stores or etailers -- not Coty Wild or Kiehl's or any of those. This was a dept store perfume that just dried down to a warm musky scent. And it was strong -- I could smell it across the wide corridor.

My best guesses at the time were something along the lines of --- Opium, Gucci Guilty, EL Sensuous, Dune, Burberry Classic, Samsara, Coco Mademoiselle, Allure, Chance, Prada, JPG Classique, Obsession, D&G The One, Vict Secret Rapture. (Coco Noir had not launched yet.)

Her trail at first was simply warm & musky -- but later, as I came closer, a "delicious" quality was revealed too, so I started thinking maybe it had a bit of fruit & vanilla -- maybe gourmand-ish. So I started wondering -- Opium, Gucci Guilty, Sensuous, JPG, Allure, Chance, or Coco Mlle? I'll never know for sure, but I think it was probably one of the ones I've mentioned.

If I'd been able to catch up & ask her, I'm sure I would have nodded and said, "Oh, yes, of course!" -- as such revelations generally make me do.

JPG Classique EDT was one of my several guesses. If JPG wasn't *the one*, it was close enough to it, I thought. The experience of smelling this lady's warm, musky perfume made me pull out my JPG bottle, start wearing it, and fall in love with it all over again.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I don't especially like the smell direct from the bottle, but on my skin it is divine! Even my mum commented, which is very unlike her.
I like the bottle and would buy again. This was a Christmas gift from my husband; I have never bought it for myself as it is on the pricey side.

on 5/20/2012 4:04:00 PM

I simply LOVE this fragrance. It's strong, vibrant, and very sexy. It's so powdery and so sweet. I think it's very over the top in every way and that's exactly what I love about it. It makes me think of very luxurious things. But old luxury, if that makes sense. Not a brand new sportscar, but an oldtimer. Not a villa in Hollywood, but a mansion on the English countryside.
It actually reminds me of very old, very good whiskey. It has that same boozy velvety texture.
To me it smells like make-up, whiskey, vanilla, and a lot of spicy florals. I absolutely love the ginger and the anise (I'm a HUGE fan of anise notes) blending beautifully with the ylang ylang and the orange blossom. My friend said it reminded her of old fashioned sweets, and I totally get that.

Though I really love this fragrance, I can not wear it every day (well, it wasn't made to be worn all day either). It's just too much over the top. I can only wear it when I'm dressed up for a chique occasion. When everything else is perfect, Classique is the icing on the cake.

I must say I prefer this to the EDP. The EDP is softer, gentler, more mature. Like the more grown up sister of the sparkly EDT. There character is in essence alike, but they are very different.

I do not really get the fuss around the bottle. I quite like it. It's a mannequin, that's all. It adds to the luxurious feel of this fragrance. And the corset is very... I would not say funny, but I can not really find another word to describe it in English. The corset makes me smile. In a good way.

on 3/30/2012 7:13:00 PM

This a heavier fragrances than I'm used to, but it's not overpowering or too "mature." It's a nice, nighttime scent, and I like the cute little bottle it comes in. The scent is powdery with a light floral musk (I scent rose), slight vanilla, spicy, warm and sweet. It lasts quite awhile without being obnoxious.

been wearing this for about 10-12 years i just love it!
First off who ever designed the bottle A+, gold star you get a cookie!! so sexy and fun.
This is pricey but its so strong you just need the smallest amount, therefore a bottle will last me almost a year great bang for the buck if you ask me.
I get asked all the time what am I wearing how good I smell :) it lasts all freakin day what's that saying you get what you pay for....
undersents on this for me are vanilla, rose and sandalwood, its sweet yet musk.
You've got to give this a try (not for those who enjoy "delicate" sents)

on 7/21/2011 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I want to love this, I get many compliments and on the right person it is a very sexy scent but on me there is a metallic chemical note which just annoys me and gives me a headache, others compliment me on it but I personally dont like it on me. Faraway from avon has similar orange flower and vanillic notes without the chemical smell.

Popular Fragrances