Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

4.3

on 4/28/2010 5:06:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is stunning! If I had to sum it up I would say sexy and chic. This is my second favourite perfume of all time after Angel by Thierry Mugler. I recognise this anywhere, even if I don't know it's JPG straight away I always notice the smell and wonder what it is, because it can smell slightly different on different people. I smelt this on someone in a club recently which is what made me fall in love with it all over again - I kept trying to find the smell and who it was coming from. On 2 other separate occasions I also asked 2 women what they were wearing and it was this. It smells like a sexy, gourmand scent. It's definitely well suited for a sexy date or an evening occasion. The lasting power is also very good, I've never had the EDP (the one with the pink tin) but I've tried it and prefer the EDT, which I've owned 3 times in total, and it really lasts a long time so I can't imagine wanting anything even longer-lasting! When I first spray it it's quite strong and I think it smells a bit sherbert-y, but then it settles into a lovely ambery, vanilla scent. The top notes are listed as anise, orange blossom and tangerine; middle notes are ginger, orchid and ylang-ylang and the base is vanilla, musk and amber. The vanilla and amber come through the most for me but the orange blossom and ginger are apparent on the first spray. Personally I think this is chicer than your typical 'sexy', evening scent. To me it smells very Parisian. There's just something about it that smells so gorgeous and unforgettable. It also smells extremely comforting to me, like being enveloped in a hug by someone you really love. I will buy this forever.

I originally just bought a small bottle of this on ebay because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about (okay, and because I love the bottle). I wasn't really expecting to like it, since the reviews made it sound too brash for me. And yet, I've absolutely fallen in love!

To me, this perfume is femininity without the woman. It is an enhancement of a strong, graceful, and beautiful woman's scent. Since I have barely any sense of smell (perfumes are one of the few things I can smell at all), few perfumes actually stir up memories for me. Classique is exceptional in that regard.

Classique reminds me of a dressing room during a performance. This might sound like a criticism, but as a dancer I mean this in the best way possible. As you walk into the room, the smell of aerosol hairspray hits you and mingles with the light scent of stage makeup. Then you smell the powdery resin from the ballerina's shoes and even the sweet, warm 'glow' of dancers warming up. And later, as the show ends and the dancers go home, the smell of the old hardwood floors remains.

Needless to say, I will need to buy a larger bottle of this soon.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

people are right to call this a must-have.
this is one of my favourite perfumes! it is also a perfect example of how spicy CAN be completely sweet.
this perfume is not a love/hate type of scent, as it is so pleasant, sweet and gorgeous that you can't go wrong with it. i have gotten many compliments with this with words such as 'sweet' and 'hypnotic'.
this is not a zingy or fresh scent, it is warm, spicy and very sweet.
i thoroughly recommend!

on 5/20/2012 4:04:00 PM

I simply LOVE this fragrance. It's strong, vibrant, and very sexy. It's so powdery and so sweet. I think it's very over the top in every way and that's exactly what I love about it. It makes me think of very luxurious things. But old luxury, if that makes sense. Not a brand new sportscar, but an oldtimer. Not a villa in Hollywood, but a mansion on the English countryside.
It actually reminds me of very old, very good whiskey. It has that same boozy velvety texture.
To me it smells like make-up, whiskey, vanilla, and a lot of spicy florals. I absolutely love the ginger and the anise (I'm a HUGE fan of anise notes) blending beautifully with the ylang ylang and the orange blossom. My friend said it reminded her of old fashioned sweets, and I totally get that.

Though I really love this fragrance, I can not wear it every day (well, it wasn't made to be worn all day either). It's just too much over the top. I can only wear it when I'm dressed up for a chique occasion. When everything else is perfect, Classique is the icing on the cake.

I must say I prefer this to the EDP. The EDP is softer, gentler, more mature. Like the more grown up sister of the sparkly EDT. There character is in essence alike, but they are very different.

I do not really get the fuss around the bottle. I quite like it. It's a mannequin, that's all. It adds to the luxurious feel of this fragrance. And the corset is very... I would not say funny, but I can not really find another word to describe it in English. The corset makes me smile. In a good way.

on 5/6/2009 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

i absolutely adore this seductive scent.
it's one of my core fragrances
i always get compliments when i wear it
fresh and enchanting
still smells great at the end of the day which makes it a total winner in my eyes!!
and its not totally overpriced
love it!!!!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

First thing that caught my eye was the packaging, it was absolutely gorgeous in the mannequin shaped bottle. The scent is quite strong, I had only sprayed it once on and wrist and it pretty much last the entire day.

Like perfumes, it is quite strong in the beginning but after awhile when it has died down a little, it is a rather floral smell, almost smelling like dried flowers. Very refreshing and a lovely smell but not something so strong that would give you headaches! It is not overpowering and contrary to what has been said, I think it would work just as well for day as for night although I would not overuse it too much.

on 9/6/2013 12:04:00 PM

I smelled this fragrance once and i just loved it.
I used to think this fragrance is something for women older than me, but now it is my favourite one. It's a fragrance that just stays on all day and makes you feel cozy and comfortable. It becomes a part of you.

Proof that sex sells! Ha, this bottle is amazing!

Oddly enough, I was on a family trip to Barbados and while at the duty free my father passed me the bottle and said it smelt good. He was right I loved it, instantly! I used it so much that it would be on me while putting on make up so my brushes even smelt like Classique.

I've been wearing it since I was 16. I've slowed down lately on wearing it however because it is stronger and everyone knows me by this scent. To prove my point an ex boyfriend walked by a room that I normally wouldnt be in and went to the doorway & asked if i was there because he could smell me! Ha!

I love to wear this when I go out to clubs, it makes me feel like a sex bomb. I imagine that this would be something Sophia Loren would wear. I just love how seductive the scent is and how it doesnt fade at all.

I will always have a bottle on my shelf. Sadly this September I picked up the EDP version and found out that it was different scent.

Hopefully I can pawn it off to a little cousin and then go grab another bottle of the original.

on 5/23/2008 4:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Got this for my birthday from a friend. AMAZING! Have to admit that this goes on pretty heavy, but after a while the scent is strong, yet feminine and vanillaish. Perfect for a girl like myself :) Love the bottle too! Makes me want to have that bod :P

I would recommend wearing this during the wintertime, since it is a 'warmer' fragrance. I prefer my summer scents to be more flowery and citrusy, and this is not that. Still, great perfume.

Oh, and the boy loves it. :)

on 5/30/2005 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This perfume is it for me! It smells sooooo good!. I received it as a sample, and I thought that it was going to be just another floral, but thank heavens I was wrong. It's just as others have described it as a floriental. The first thing I smell is the Rose that's in the perfume, and when it dries down it has this nice light musky scent mixed with some florals. One little spray lasts the whole day. It is sexy, and you feel sexy when you wear it. This is the perfume for seduction. This perfume IMO suits nighttime better and if you're going to classy events.

Popular Fragrances