Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT

4.1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is one of my Top 5 fragrances, along with Coco, Narciso Rodriguez, Kenzo Flower le Parfum and Farnesiana. Although I find the rose-rich edp version quite beautiful, it is the edt, with its scrumptuous chocolate accord that captivates me. The rose is still here, but it mixes with star anise, ginger and orange so silkily and dreamily. I know I adore this because it bugs me when I smell it on anyone else. It's like I own it.

My earliest memories of this fragrance take me back to my school years. There was a raven-haired girl in the year above who lived on one of the posh estates of huge new detached houses (the kind that have massive kitchens and bowls of potpourri in the hall) and she was seeing this lad - (she was 14; he was 15, although they seemed so old to me) - my friends and I would spot them walking arm in arm around the village. She wore this with her oddball designer jumpers. He was the kind of boy to go on Stand By Me adventures. A railway track follower. The kind to carry a penknife and Rizla papers. I idolised them both. They epitomized young love back then. First love. You could have cut the air around them with a knife, such was the gravity of their relationship.

A couple of years later that boy became my first proper boyfriend - we were together for four years. I was never jealous of the girl; she represented some kind of otherness. I think, actually, we were alike - both creative, rebellious, intense types. Who knows where she is now. He is a boat builder on the coast with two dogs and a wife who does his book-keeping...

Her sister wore this too - and probably their other sister as well. Sometimes I like stealing fragrances and making them my own. It suits me just as much, although I left it more or less alone for a decade. I've grown into it. I hazard a guess that the raven-haired sisters have grown out of it. It can only ever suit a fourteen year old in a dress-up, let's pretend kind of way. It was a loud and awkward cloud, mingling with the smell of hair mousse and face powder. But truthful too - because it was Jean Paul Gaultier; maybe even their mum wore it. This was the kind of family to be impressed by a show of both money and sexuality. A doll-like, bronzed mother with a firm bust and her three Lolitas trying to emulate her.

This doesn't smell good on everyone. You have to wear it like you mean it.

It leaves the most decadent rich vanilla-amber-musk trail on the skin 24 hours later. continued >>

on 8/7/2010 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

When this perfume first came out in 1993, I was a poor art school student in love with JPG's work. I remember going to Sak's the give it a sniff, only to be told that "they were out of samples". Determined to get my hands on this, my friend and I went back when a different sales girl was working. I went up to the counter with a fake British accent, going on and on about how fantastic this fragrance was. My friend went along with it, and what do you know, I got a sample. Oh, come on. We have all been a sample troll at some point. ;)

I now of course have my own bottle, and I still love it. It reminds me of a 1950's vanity table, topped with powders and potions and a lovely vase of flowers. Timeless.

on 5/10/2013 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love JPG Classique EDT and wore a lot of it last Fall/Winter, day after day. I was hooked on it for awhile -- unusual for me, since I generally rotate daily. It's pretty strong; you have to just use a tiny spritz, but then it's so soft, warm, and comforting -- especially in cool or cold weather.

JPG Classique EDT is soft, musky, warm, and the EDT version is somewhat powdery. The EDP version is more gourmandy, adding vanilla & rum notes, and it's luscious in its own right. The EDP version lacks the powdery quality of the EDT. I own both versions, and originally I much preferred the EDP, but now I prefer the EDT.

I once sniffed the trail of a lady at the mall on my lunch hour. She was very well-dressed and coifed, wearing a business suit & heels -- 40-something, I think -- and she was walking like a TRAIN! Her trail of perfume was one of the best I've ever smelled in my life -- and I was speed-walking like crazy way behind her, in her wake, trying desperately to catch up and ask her what it was, my brain meanwhile flipping through the possibilities of what it could be.

But I never could catch her. Sadly, I'll always always wonder. I live in a small town without niche scents, so I'm pretty sure I knew the perfume very well and likely actually owned it myself -- it was probably easily found at Belk, Dillard, Macy's, or Ulta (that's all we have around here). I have a lot of trouble recognizing perfumes on others in public, even those I actually own & wear myself.

Hers was one of the whiffs in public that has absolutely blown me away, and I'll never forget it. At first, it just floated off of her like a delicious warm musk -- that's all. I couldn't identify any particular notes -- her trail just smelled warm and musky. It was almost like an upscale Jovan Musk for Women -- the drydown gave an overall "impression* to me of warm musk. Yet it wasn't any straight-up musks from drug stores or etailers -- not Coty Wild or Kiehl's or any of those. This was a dept store perfume that just dried down to a warm musky scent. And it was strong -- I could smell it across the wide corridor.

My best guesses at the time were something along the lines of --- Opium, Gucci Guilty, EL Sensuous, Dune, Burberry Classic, Samsara, Coco Mademoiselle, Allure, Chance, Prada, JPG Classique, Obsession, D&G The One, Vict Secret Rapture. (Coco Noir had not launched yet.)

Her trail at first was simply warm & musky -- but later, as I came closer, a "delicious" quality was revealed too, so I started thinking maybe it had a bit of fruit & vanilla -- maybe gourmand-ish. So I started wondering -- Opium, Gucci Guilty, Sensuous, JPG, Allure, Chance, or Coco Mlle? I'll never know for sure, but I think it was probably one of the ones I've mentioned.

If I'd been able to catch up & ask her, I'm sure I would have nodded and said, "Oh, yes, of course!" -- as such revelations generally make me do.

JPG Classique EDT was one of my several guesses. If JPG wasn't *the one*, it was close enough to it, I thought. The experience of smelling this lady's warm, musky perfume made me pull out my JPG bottle, start wearing it, and fall in love with it all over again.

on 6/28/2016 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Old Hollywood Glamour - I wanted to try this because Im a vintage enthusiast of all things. I was reading an article with Dita Von Teese and she mentioned JPG Classique and that is smelled like MAKEUP. I was SO excited to try this and it does smell like old rouge or powder. It may sound weird but you are instantly reminded of that scent from your Grandmothers cosmetics – in a good way. On me - this is powdery, creamy spicy vanilla fragrance. I dont get any fruitiness or the oranges. Its definitely not for those ladies who prefer light fruity scents and this is best suited for cooler evening weather. I LOVE it but it is a vintage type of smell.

on 3/25/2016 2:43:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

this jpg classique and t. muglers alien and diors addict are how perfumes should be done! screw the floral fruity shit this is grown woman territory and I love all three mentioned but this classique is in a league of its own and a powerhouse as far as longevity..and not to mention the bottle is as unique as the fragrance.

This is my signature fragrance ... has been for years (though I do experiement with others from time to time). Men love this fragrance (if it smells good on you), and I get compliments on it all the time. HOWEVER, please remember that fragrance is personal and depends on your body chemistry. What is a total aphrodesiac on me, might make you smell like an old lady. For example, I really admire the fragrance Opium on other women, and while it doesn't STINK on me, it's not very exciting on me. Calvin Klein fragrances are horrible on me, but often smell delicious on other people. The moral of this is: not every great fragrance will smell good on you.

Now with my personal experience aside, lets talk about why I gave this fragrance a high rating ... here's my personal and not-so-humble opinion about fragrance reviews. Whether or not it smells good on YOU is irrelevant, because part of the smell is the reaction of your body chemistry with the fragrance, of which the perfumer has no control. A perfume is of a high quality if it a.) is long lasting. b.) uses high quality extracts and c.) uses an interesting or aesthetically pleasing composition and appropriate variety of extracts for a desired effect. Classique is very long lasting, and I usually only need to use it once, and it lasts all day, even with no layering (use of body cremes, gels etc. in same fragrance). The extracts are of the best quality, and you can actually feel the oils when you spray the EDT (pay attention to the difference between the way a very expensive perfume feels when compared to a very cheap perfume). The composition has a very interesting theme of French pastries and exotic oriental flowers and spices. It is like a walk through Paris. This is without a doubt a truly sexy and memorable fragrance.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is my signature fragrance. I love it because it is soft and smells clean and like talcum powder. It is subtle provided you only use a little and wafts around gently the entire day. I often spritz some in my hair too. The packaging is gorgeous and I love the corset bottle; its so timeless and elegant. Its well worth every penny.

on 4/28/2010 5:06:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is stunning! If I had to sum it up I would say sexy and chic. This is my second favourite perfume of all time after Angel by Thierry Mugler. I recognise this anywhere, even if I don't know it's JPG straight away I always notice the smell and wonder what it is, because it can smell slightly different on different people. I smelt this on someone in a club recently which is what made me fall in love with it all over again - I kept trying to find the smell and who it was coming from. On 2 other separate occasions I also asked 2 women what they were wearing and it was this. It smells like a sexy, gourmand scent. It's definitely well suited for a sexy date or an evening occasion. The lasting power is also very good, I've never had the EDP (the one with the pink tin) but I've tried it and prefer the EDT, which I've owned 3 times in total, and it really lasts a long time so I can't imagine wanting anything even longer-lasting! When I first spray it it's quite strong and I think it smells a bit sherbert-y, but then it settles into a lovely ambery, vanilla scent. The top notes are listed as anise, orange blossom and tangerine; middle notes are ginger, orchid and ylang-ylang and the base is vanilla, musk and amber. The vanilla and amber come through the most for me but the orange blossom and ginger are apparent on the first spray. Personally I think this is chicer than your typical 'sexy', evening scent. To me it smells very Parisian. There's just something about it that smells so gorgeous and unforgettable. It also smells extremely comforting to me, like being enveloped in a hug by someone you really love. I will buy this forever.

on 10/11/2006 8:48:00 PM

I like it, and sometimes I wear it, but the review is for my niece. She visited just before going out with her fiance; they were celebrating the anniversary of their first date. Miss Dana tried a couple of my lipsticks, rummaged through the perfume cabinet, eyed the suggestive bottle, took one sniff and said, "Oh, yeah." She applied profusely and with great satisfaction. Her comment: "This stuff says, "Do me," and that's all it says."

on 6/28/2016 4:25:00 PM

No other perfume I've tried can make me feel as sexy and as womanly as Classique EDT does. When I first smelled this a few years back, I told myself that this was going to be the scent I lose my virginity to, my honeymoon scent. To me it smells of seduction and romance in the most dramatic sense, rose petals over satin sheets, lace lingerie and garters (with matching heels ofcourse), a roaring fire-place, lovers cuddling and drinking champagne, a strand of pearls adorning her neck (and tomato red liptick stains adorning his ;)

This heady, distinctive scent is just almost too delicious for words; it's sweet, spicy, deep, warm and powdery, a 'curves in all the right places' floriental (yeah, yeah, just like the bottle lol)...something in the scent is reminiscent of beauty products you find on a woman's vanity table, like lipstick, body powder and lotion, but what I mainly get are notes of orange blossom, iris and rose, seamlessly blended into a hazy, warm spiced vanilla. A ginger note contributes to the overall heat factor of the scent, but rather than standing out and becoming a biting presence, it blends itself among the other notes, adding richness, sexiness and warmth.

It's a classic for the sensual and the provocative, an ageless scent for the uber-feminine. Just don't let the strong opening put you off, and for the love of all things fragrant, don't use this as a casual scent. You need to be dolled up to wear Classique, it requires perfect hair, a made up face and heels...so it's really best saved for the evenings, special events, or on those days you need an extra boost of confidence. Sillage and longevity is amazing, 10 hours on me and it's the kind of scent that could fill a room, so please spray with caution. I myself prefer using this with a light hand so that the scent gracefully emanates from my warm skin with its erotic creamy-spicy-sweetness (no more than 2-3 sprays on me, and a couple sprays sprayed on my clothes the night before), the last thing I'd want to do is assault the noses of anyone who comes within 10 feet of me. Seriously, when oversprayed, this can actually smell bad! Not only cloying, but bad in the sense that you end up smelling dated, vulgar, obnoxious and fake, like an out-of-work aging actress who piles on too much make up and dresses inappropriately.

Popular Fragrances