Tom's of Maine Natural Deodorant

Tom's of Maine Natural Deodorant

2.5

Not tested on animals
Tom's of Maine is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

This was my first line of deodarants that I tried out on the beginning of my “finding my HG all natural deodarant journey” a couple of years back. The apricot one was the first one that I tried and at first it was ok buuuuut then discomfort ensued:( I knew that since it was an all natural deodorant that it wouldnt absorb sweat like an antiperspirant would but really just mask the smell of sweat and beginning my aluminum antiperspirant detox was aware of the unpleasent first steps that would occur. As expected I did notice a funky smell after it weared off. But alot of people need to realize it isn’t necessarily the product that does this to you it’s the bacteria that harbours in your under arm area. No sweat absorption means increase in bacteria, hence the funk you may smell with any or most natural deodarants i have come to find. Just wash your armpits with antibacterial soap before you put it on once a day atleast i find that it helps keeps that problem at bay. Also, since there is no absorption it may cause some under arm stains on your clothes which is another complaint. But the worst of all was that it started causing a very painful red and swollen rash under my armpits. At first i thought this was perhaps just part of the detox process with having switched to a natural deodarant but found out that it really is just this deodarant after trying the lavender one sometime later down the road and just ending up with the same rash. I did some more research on it later to find out that it has some more irritating ingredients that caused those rashes for me propylence glycol which unfortunately was the first ingredient listed. It’s too bad coz i like most of the scents and have easier access to buying them at the store than most natural deodarants but sadly its a no go for me. Needless to say, if you have sensitive skin I would definitely steer clear of this deodarant.
P.s So far I have found that the only natural deodarants that work for me are only found online. My favorites thus far are by the organic and independently owned fields of heather brand as well as lavender moon by spirit nest. They have a creamier consistency, smell great and don't cause those painful red rashes. But if you like a more water based consistency similar to toms, arm and hammer has one called essentials that is similar in texture but doesn’t cause the red rashes (at least not for me) just throwing it out there for anyone who is on the lookout for a better aluminum free natural deodarant

on 2/24/2018 11:34:00 PM

made my armpits smell like pesto

on 5/28/2017 4:22:00 PM

When will I ever learn. I always want to find that amazing natural deodorant that keeps me from being stinky, but so far it has been an expensive, fruitless search. This is another one to add to the failure pile for me. I liked the way it smelled in the stick (Honeysuckle Rose) but shortly after I put it on, I started to sweat and then stink. It did nothing. Well, it did do something--gave me a red itchy rash...not good.

on 5/7/2017 10:15:00 PM

This product is HORRIBLE. I typically do not even wear deodorant as I don't sweat that much and work in an air conditioned office. However, in the summer, or actives (like weddings, where there will be dancing, etc ) I'll wear deodorant.

This deodorant makes me smell terrible. At first I thought maybe I was eating something that was causing a change. But, then I read reviews very similar to what I was experiencing. I then decided to do a "test". I showered and went without any deodorant - even worked out (I did rinse afterwards.) No smell. The next day I used the deodorant and did NOT workout - and I had horrible smelling armpits by mid afternoon. Like "stress sweat" smell. It was nasty.

Yuck! Never will buy this product again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I use Tom's toothpaste. I love their environmentally friendly, vegan and natural approach (I'm currently attempting to leave behind any non-vegan, unnatural products.) I like the company, in theory I should like their deoderant, but holy absolute shit, this is the worst deodorant in the entire world. It actually makes me smell worse. Now, I do sweat a lot (I naturally have a tendency to sweat a little more AND I live in a hot climate) but in the past three days that I've had this product the weather has been extremely mild and I've spent very, very little time outside or moving around a lot. I smell so bad while typing this that I now want to go take a shower. My body odor has never smelled even half as bad as they do when I use this. I may as well go without completely.

Very surprised it keeps sweat away in hot humid days, no rash or irritation. I must one of the few that doesn't get side effects. I usually cannot wear any antiperspirant deodorants due to bumps irritation!! I usually have sensitive skin anywhere with perfume artificial lotions , facials and armpits.

ps: Another trick on none deo days I wipe Lime juice on my underarms after showers. And keeps odor away for me! I do sweat but no smell

I wish wish wish I could say I love this product, because I really love the brand and what it stands by. I also love the fact that Toms stays natural and is free of harmful chemicals.

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't work for me or anyone that I know!! Toms literally makes my armpits smell worse when I apply it then go work out. It's scary how bad I smell. I stand by the company and if it works for you, kudos and I am jealous but in my experience it doesn't do anything to mitigate odor.

on 5/12/2016 11:07:00 PM

simply does not work.

on 5/7/2016 7:20:00 PM

Looks like I'm not the only one who's not a fan of this deodorant. I decided to pick this up since I was on the search for a "natural" deodorant. I wanted to avoid anything with aluminum or anything "bad".

First off, the scent. I have the women's one which has the "beautiful earth" scent. it's a nice pleasant scent. Very clean and fresh! However, it turns a bit odd smelling after a while. At first i thought it was "me" but i realized it was the deodorant itself

Thankfully i don't have a huge problem with odor, but of course during the summer when it's hot out and i sweat more, i would like to have the added comfort that i don't "smell". This deodorant does help with the smell somewhat, but I have tried better products out there that cost much less. Since we are on the topic of price, this costed me $6.88CAD at Walmart. To me, that's kind of up there in price compared to other deodorants. Perhaps the "natural" deodorants cost a bit more, but I didn't find this one was worth it.

Now for the packaging. This didn't come with any seal OR protective cover on the product like most deodorants do. For sanitary reasons, this isn't comforting. Also, the lid is quite loose and doesn't feel securely on.

Lastly, this deodorant irritated my skin and my underarms became very sore and tender. Which is strange since this claims to be a "natural" deodorant.

on 4/25/2016 9:29:00 PM

Unfortunately, this product didn't work for me at all. I smelled funky by the end of the day every time I used it alone. I like using it with a different aluminum free deodorant so it wasn't a complete waste but I would never repurchase. There are much better natural products on the market. This was a huge no no.