L'Oreal Excellence Creme

L'Oreal Excellence Creme

3.9

on 7/21/2016 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The italian version of Preference creme's box is quite different but I guess the formula is the same, so here's my experience with the colour 743 (in Italy, a blonde copper).
As a years long dyed copper red head, this one was the colour I reached more often for, as I could find it almost in every decent drugstore for a reasonable price (9 euros I think?). It's not the bright copper I wished to achieve, but in shortage of better options in town this was the one in multiple occasions (for better copper colours I had to wait for a Russian local shop to replenish their offer from Russia, and oh how amazing it was, 3 euros for extremely beautiful and quality results).
I always had to bleach before using, otherwise it wouldn't have appeared on my brown hair. On the roots it didn't give the best result, as they bleach better than the other parts so it looked like a neon yellow with copper undertones - yikes! Only experience made me understand I had to insist on the roots before colouring the remaining hair. The colour brightness itself lasted about a month, then it became dull and light, almost pale pink. But regrowth was a thing, so I could fight this problem just colouring every month.
It's a great great great product overall, it does an excellent job with no effort. If you're looking for a low mantenaince colour, you should watch somewhere else, as reds wouldn't work for you AT ALL - it can really last no more than 2 months, so be ready to have terrible hair if you don't take proper care of it. :)

I love this hair color !! I had been highlighting my medium brown hair for years and wanted a change . Three of my kids have auburn hair and it's gorgeous so I decided I wanted a reddish brown color . I picked up the 6rb at cvs ( light reddish brown ) it's completely gorgeous and natural looking . Nice balance of reddish and gold tones , I really hope they never discontinue it !! I also love the creamy consistency while applying and the comb applicator is nice !

To Read all 349 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/19/2015 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hands down best I've used, the color is even, shiny, matches that on the box, covers grays, and lasts about 5 weeks. I have had those who know me ask what color/ brand I'm using because it makes me look ten years younger ( I'm 57) so I think this is a sure winner for me. I use Light Brown Natural

I have gotten the best results when I use Excellence. I'm in my late 20s and I already have some grays, and Excellence covers grays really well, better than other dyes I've tried. I love that it comes with a comb applicator, it makes it SO much easier to distribute the dye more thoroughly. I wish all brands had that applicator! Also, the pre-treatment serum makes sure my ends don't soak up too much dye and keeps them soft. The conditioner is nice too.

Because I'm a total cheapskate I normally grab Revlon Colorsilk, but I actually feel that Excellence is a better product and worth the extra few bucks. I've used Dark Golden Brown to jazz up my usual dark brown hair, and Natural Ash Black which is pretty close to my natural color (maybe a touch darker). Excellent coverage and keeps hair in great condition. Definitely recommend.

on 6/13/2015 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product. I was trying to get rid of diy brassy blond highlights and return to my natural which is a med ash brown. I purchased this product in the med. ash brown and used it only on the hair I wanted to tone. The end result is awesome. All the brassy redness is gone and it is a perfect match to my natural. I always have issues with products going to dark.. this one did not. Would definitely recommend. And my hair was super soft after use. Smell was a little strong bit really all dyes are so not a huge deal.

on 3/5/2015 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Recently I discovered I have a cool skin tone rather than warm. So, I decided to change my hair from dyed light red back to its natural light ash brown. Normally, I use Revlon Colorsilk, but I had heard its ash tones can turn your hair green. So, I decided to go with Excellence Creme. I was a little worried it wouldn't cover or would turn too dark. However, the results were pretty great. I ended up with a fairly neutral light brown color with some slight ash tones. The color isn't as cool toned as my natural hair color, but since I was putting this over an orange base, I'm pretty happy. After rinsing out the color, it was a little dark, but after the first shampoo, it was fine. The condition of my hair is okay as well. As much as I loved the red, I have to admit the light brown is more flattering. I'm just glad this product actually worked.

Edit: After a few washes the red started popping through my hair like crazy. I ended up covering over it with Revlon Colorsilk in Light Ash Brown 50, which didn't leave any of the green tones I feared. Excellence Creme has beautiful colors, but it simply fades too fast.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have dark blonde hair with 3 inches of regrowth. I had highlights that discolored and grew out. I had a mess of ugly colors from about 3 inches down to the ends. This made my beautiful, so soft, and a beautiful medium ash blonde. I used 7 1/2 A med ash blonde. It is gorgeous. My hair was greasy to start so before I used this I washed and dried my hair. Would definitely use this product again. Results were just want I wanted. Beautiful and well worth the price.

on 3/2/2015 5:28:00 PM

I used E1 Light Ash Brown with medium brown hair with previous dye (2 months old). My hair matched the 2nd swatch on the box exactly.

My complaint with this product is that the ash shades in this line only work with hair that is light to begin with, it will not cool brown hair in the slightest. Darken it a little, maybe, but not change warmth. For an ash shade, this was disappointing. I am aware you will not get lighter hair, but I expect if brown is a swatch on the box, it should cool the brown as it depicts, reduce some orange/red/brass tones at least somewhat. It should specify for blondes only if it can't manage that.

Now my hair appears more damaged for my trouble (leaning on long side of 30 min as instructed), and exact same shade I started with. Trying Perfect 10 in a month, or going to salon.

on 2/25/2015 5:08:00 PM

I had been dying my hair dark red for one year with Wella Color Charm and I was tired of the constant root upkeep. I wanted to go back to my natural dirty blonde color, so I used Color Oops twice to get rid of the red. It mostly worked, but left me with some red brassy tones still. Add on the Sun-Spray that I used on top of those to lighten my hair (because who doesn't want lighter hair?), and I had a hot strawberry blonde mess. I used Excellence Cream in 8.5A Champagne Blonde with the expectation that it wouldn't lighten my hair, but tone down the strawberry brassy mess. It met my expectation. My color is the same as the third swatch down on the box. I'm pleased!

on 2/23/2015 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

My biggest issue with this product is the color stains on skin and difficult to remove even though I have put Vaseline on the face, neck and arms before.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

(Demo) How to Dye Dark Hair into Light Warm Brown at Home | JJ BeautyRoom by JJ BeautyRoom

L'Oreal Paris Excellence Creme "G" Dark Brown Hair Dye Review Brown to Black by Apollo-milkchocolate