Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

4.6

on 10/6/2013 2:03:00 PM

This is my favorite Essie fall/winter shade for toes that I return to each year. I always do a little experimenting at the nail salon with the trendy colors (blues, purples etc) but then return to this one every time. I finally purchased it last year and while I still experiment if a new color catches my eye, I don't purchase the trendy stuff. This is a deep classy burgundy shade that goes on smooth and leaves your toes super glossy. It works well with any shoe style or occasion unlike the trendy colors! If you're looking for a modern take on a classy dark red/plum, look no further.

I have found my sole mate fall nail color LOL!

on 11/8/2012 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Overall, I like the nail polish. Not a color I would rush out and re-purchase if I lost it or ran out, but I do find myself using it every once in awhile.

The application is annoying for me. I love the color the polish gives off on the frst coat, but I find it is too streaky to leave with just one coat. And after the second coat, the color becomes the dark color you see in the bottle.

To me and on my skin tone, the color looks to be a deep maroon/brown color. I will only be using this color in the fall.

on 7/9/2012 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Remarkable. Sole Mate is exactly as essie describes it: a creamy, rich, deep dark plum. One coat is deep and opaque, but two coats give that vampish, deep plum color I was looking for. In the type of work I do I really can't wear it on my hands, but I wear it on my toes a lot. Berry Hard is my favorite essie color, but Sole Mate is a very close runner-up. If you're an essie fan and you don't own this color, well, you should!

on 11/3/2009 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Essie's Sole Mate is one of my favorite vampy shades. It is an extremely dark, blackened purple with plum & violet undertones, the color of an eggplant in warm sun. Sole Mate has a glossy cream finish that glistens with the rich tones of this shade. I do two coats of this color and it's perfectly opaque. This is one of my go-to polishes when I want a sexy look. I love the contrast of this deep dark color against my fair skin and also how perfectly the purple shade works with my neutral undertones. Definite repurchase & highly recommend! ♥

on 8/23/2008 2:44:00 PM

very pretty dark purple! looks awsome on short nails.... spring and winter color. thumbs up!!

on 4/17/2008 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I purchased this color at Ulta last week and let me tell you, I am in love! Sole Mate is a very dark burgundy color with a deep purple undertone. Indoors, the color looks like a very dark, flat burgundy and outdoors, the purple tones really come out nicely! Chanel's Vamp is a similar color but it has more brown than this. Essie polishes have great staying power and seem to chip less than Chanel or even OPI. I think I may switch over from OPI.

on 8/29/2006 4:22:00 PM

At first I was really skeptical about this product b/c in the bottle it appears to be a deep grape color. However, when applied it appears more of a plummy wine and with each layer gets darker. After 3 layers, it resembles a plummy black that is just gorgeous. This is absolutely my favorite dark nail polish. It is a great alternative for using black because it is incredibly dark without looking witchy or too goth.

I highly recommend- tres sexy (especially on toes) (:

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I loved the color this gave after one coat, a deep plum. While the color was perfect after one coat, it was kind of streaky and needed another. After two coats though, this is pretty much just black. If you look at it in direct sunlight you see a hint of plum but it's mostly just black. I don't really care for such a dark color (have this on my toes). Not as difficult to apply as I had expected it to be. Essie describes this as "a rich, deep wine." If you liked OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark but had difficulty applying it, give Sole Mate a try.

Popular Polishes