Essie Sole Mate

Sole Mate

4.5

on 2/13/2013 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Gorgeous deep, dark, blackened plum-burgundy color. Sole Mate applies beautifully -- it's horribly streaky with the first coat, but as a review says below, it magically evens out with the second coat to a gorgeous, even, opaque coat of color. I've had issues with streaky Essies in the past (even with 3 coats!), and Sole Mate is not one of them. Applies beautifully, and with Orly Bonder BC and SH Hard as Nails TC, it lasts me a work week before I start to get significant chipping.

on 8/11/2012 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I love Essie, don't get me wrong, and I REALLY wanted to love this color, but it's very deceiving. I have a decent Essie collection and I'm always looking to add new colors to it. I always check makeupalley to see what others think before I buy. Soul mate had great reviews and the color looks great in the bottle, but I was deeply disappointed with the application and the wear.

I don't like jelly polishes as they take too many coats to apply and you can almost always still see the natural white line at the tip of my nails. Soul mate looked mostly opaque in the bottle so I was hoping it would be a 2-coater at the very most. It took me 3 coats to reach opacity (I don't understand all these reviews that say one coat was opaque!!). Yes, it's a dark color, but dark does NOT equal opaque. Even with 3 coats I could still see some faint streaks, but I was not about to apply a 4th (I knew it would chip and peel like crazy).

Overall, a great color in the bottle, but even 3 coats left me wanting more. I still love Essie and will continue to use their products, but this reminds me that bottles are deceiving. I'll just have to try a similar color that gives me the coverage I desire.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am obsessed with dark purple nail polish (as purple is my favorite colour). This is my favorite one. It is a unique colour. As Essie can be hard to find I have tried to find substitutes but unfortunately no other company seems to make this rich dark reddy-purple. I have gone through multiple bottles of it. I find the formula a tiny bit sticky, but I am used to it. However, putting it in the freezer for a minute or two makes a world of difference. As with all Essie nail polish, the first coat goes on streaky but the second coat smooths everything over perfectly. The nail polish is extremely shiny and opaque with 2 coats. Wear time is very good. With top and base coat, I can wear it for about 3 days without any signs of wear. Usually my polish starts to fade and chip after a day and a half as I use my hands a lot. Also, I find Wal-Mart carries Essie nail polish significantly cheaper than at other drugstores I have visited.

on 8/23/2008 2:44:00 PM

very pretty dark purple! looks awsome on short nails.... spring and winter color. thumbs up!!

Popular Polishes