Essie Sole Mate

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

4.2

Sole Mate is one of the few vampy shades I actually like on myself! It is a gorgeous deep burgundy with some slight plummy undertones - but on my NC15 skin it pulls more red than purple. It is not too deep a shade either, while it is a blackened burgundy, it is clearly burgundy in all lighting. It is a very flattering vampy shade and looks quite classy on the nail. It also makes a gorgeous deep pedicure for the winter. The formula was excellent as was the wear time. It got even, opaque coverage in two easy coats with no streaking or bald patches. It dried quickly and to a shiny finish. It wore well, lasting 5 days on the nail when paired with base and top coat, with only minimal tip wear on the 5th day. I was very happy with the wear time. It is a gorgeous classy shade, a lovely dark shade for those who are new to vamps and classic enough to be office appropriate also. This is one of my Essie favourites!

on 11/15/2013 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a gorgeous deep plum colour which is perfect for Autumn. The polish applied like a dream and was opaque in just 2 coats. It dried quickly to a super glossy finish but I added a top coat to preserve the shine.

on 10/6/2013 2:03:00 PM

This is my favorite Essie fall/winter shade for toes that I return to each year. I always do a little experimenting at the nail salon with the trendy colors (blues, purples etc) but then return to this one every time. I finally purchased it last year and while I still experiment if a new color catches my eye, I don't purchase the trendy stuff. This is a deep classy burgundy shade that goes on smooth and leaves your toes super glossy. It works well with any shoe style or occasion unlike the trendy colors! If you're looking for a modern take on a classy dark red/plum, look no further.

I have found my sole mate fall nail color LOL!

on 3/13/2013 2:46:00 AM

Deep Reds and Burgundies are my favorite nail colors for fall/winter every year so I own a fair collection. I love the plum undertones that Sole Mate has and make it distinct to the other deep reds I own. I also like the fact that it lasts for 3-4 days at least (with topcoat) with no chipping on the ends like China Glaze does.

What I don't like at all is how streaky it is and how small the brush is, making it difficult to apply evenly. The first coat is transparent and blotchy. The second coat almost gets the job done, but not completely. It probably needs 3 coats to make it perfect, but with 3 coats the color is so dark, it's seems close to black when indoors. Since it's so streaky, it takes a lot of time and attention to detail in the first place if you want to do a good, clean job (like another reviewer mentions below, it tends to bleed a lot too, meaning you have to do a VERY good job of cleaning/removing cutticles before applying. In fact, it's such a bother, that despite the gorgeous color, it's one of my least used polishes.

All in all, a very nice color but made cumbersome to use by its streaky nature. If only the brush was like OPI's, it'd gain 2 more stars from me. As it is, I won't repurchase when it's finished. Oh, and 1 year after I got it, it still needs no thinning; I guess that's a plus.

on 11/8/2012 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Overall, I like the nail polish. Not a color I would rush out and re-purchase if I lost it or ran out, but I do find myself using it every once in awhile.

The application is annoying for me. I love the color the polish gives off on the frst coat, but I find it is too streaky to leave with just one coat. And after the second coat, the color becomes the dark color you see in the bottle.

To me and on my skin tone, the color looks to be a deep maroon/brown color. I will only be using this color in the fall.

on 9/16/2012 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

another great essie polish, you only need one coat of this and it's opaque. it's not exactly my taste (too dark) but it's a gorgeous color. I'll probably give it to my sister, because it's not for me, but this looks beautiful on, it's maroon with a hint of purple.

on 10/8/2009 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First coat went on a little streaky, but after 2nd looks gorgeous on my toes. Great fall color. Deep, deep purple/burgundy.

on 2/12/2009 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just got this as my free item from Ulta. I picked the color quickly, so I was excited to see all the good reviews it had here. I just painted my nails with it and YUCK! I must have gotten a bad batch, this is so gooey - like, end-of-the-bottle gooey. I am going to try to get that thinning product to fix it. I dont understand what happened, this is like 7th or so Essie polish (all very dark, vampy colors) I have purchased and this has never happened. I had to apply it so quickly because it was so streaky, it looks like a 5th grader did my nails. The color is very pretty, so I cannot be upset with the shade and I would repurchase Essie as it is one of my favs. I am going to call this one a fluke...If anyone has any suggestions, they are welcome

on 4/17/2008 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I purchased this color at Ulta last week and let me tell you, I am in love! Sole Mate is a very dark burgundy color with a deep purple undertone. Indoors, the color looks like a very dark, flat burgundy and outdoors, the purple tones really come out nicely! Chanel's Vamp is a similar color but it has more brown than this. Essie polishes have great staying power and seem to chip less than Chanel or even OPI. I think I may switch over from OPI.

on 9/14/2005 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was a little leery about getting this because it's similar to OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, which just looks black on me and is difficult to work with. I'm glad I got this though. It's a cool-toned, blackened plum creme. Unlike my experience with LPAD, Sole Mate doesn't get goopy during application. Two thin coats gives me shiny, super dark plum-colored tips. However, thicker/more coats will definitely yield a deeper, darker color that's closer to black and looks almost identical to LPAD if that's what you're looking for.

Popular Polishes