Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

on 2/13/2013 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Gorgeous deep, dark, blackened plum-burgundy color. Sole Mate applies beautifully -- it's horribly streaky with the first coat, but as a review says below, it magically evens out with the second coat to a gorgeous, even, opaque coat of color. I've had issues with streaky Essies in the past (even with 3 coats!), and Sole Mate is not one of them. Applies beautifully, and with Orly Bonder BC and SH Hard as Nails TC, it lasts me a work week before I start to get significant chipping.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Sole Mate is a deep plummy/eggplant like color, I purchased it basically knowing I will never wear it, it was purchased just to add to my nail polish collection and if a friend comes over and likes it she sure can borrow it.........lol
Sole Mate is a nice color but it's not my cup of tea.
I prefer Swing Velvet which is really flattering on my fair/cool skintone, and the color is a beautiful shiny berry/plum that applies like a charm.

on 8/11/2012 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I love Essie, don't get me wrong, and I REALLY wanted to love this color, but it's very deceiving. I have a decent Essie collection and I'm always looking to add new colors to it. I always check makeupalley to see what others think before I buy. Soul mate had great reviews and the color looks great in the bottle, but I was deeply disappointed with the application and the wear.

I don't like jelly polishes as they take too many coats to apply and you can almost always still see the natural white line at the tip of my nails. Soul mate looked mostly opaque in the bottle so I was hoping it would be a 2-coater at the very most. It took me 3 coats to reach opacity (I don't understand all these reviews that say one coat was opaque!!). Yes, it's a dark color, but dark does NOT equal opaque. Even with 3 coats I could still see some faint streaks, but I was not about to apply a 4th (I knew it would chip and peel like crazy).

Overall, a great color in the bottle, but even 3 coats left me wanting more. I still love Essie and will continue to use their products, but this reminds me that bottles are deceiving. I'll just have to try a similar color that gives me the coverage I desire.

A very amazing combination for burgundy and purple. I don't know how they do it! But this is a redish plumy polish with one coat, and dark red in door dark purple out door polish with 2 coats. This is really amazing I can't rave enough about the colour, perfect for fall! I like Essie nail polishes more than OPI because they chip WAY less, I can put 2 coats on and it will last me more than 3 days, but keep in mind I play the piano everyday so my nail chips usually within 5 hours after I put on polish. OPI will survive 1 day without chipping, and Essie will go on for more than 3 days. I find them more hardening than OPI. I am sure if I don't play the piano, Essie will last me way over a week. I don't like Essie's brush, it is very thin, while it is easier for me to get into the corner, it gives a streaky application. BUT luckily the second coat will sort things out and give the perfect finish.

on 11/3/2009 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Essie's Sole Mate is one of my favorite vampy shades. It is an extremely dark, blackened purple with plum & violet undertones, the color of an eggplant in warm sun. Sole Mate has a glossy cream finish that glistens with the rich tones of this shade. I do two coats of this color and it's perfectly opaque. This is one of my go-to polishes when I want a sexy look. I love the contrast of this deep dark color against my fair skin and also how perfectly the purple shade works with my neutral undertones. Definite repurchase & highly recommend! ♥

on 9/26/2008 4:18:00 PM

Until recently, I was always a "Ballet Slippers" kind of girl, going for the classic, sophisticated pale shade on short squared nails, both for hands and feet. One day, I decided to "take the plunge" and go for for a dark shade, looking for the "vampy yet sophisticated" look. Sole Mate is just perfect, and has gotten me out of my pale nail rut! It's a chic burgundy shade, but instead of the wine undertones in many similar shades, Sole Mate has this fantastic purple undertone. It looks fantastic with anything you would wear-- like a dark neutral, IMO. I like it year-round, but it definitely makes a fabulous fall/winter shade! It only takes two coats to get the color in the bottle, which is great. I have very pale, neutral toned skin (lighter than NC/W 15), and I like the contrast between myself and the polish, though it doesn't look goth or anything. The wear is pretty good (about 3-4 days) until a chip typically appears (YMMV). I take my own bottle with me now to the nail salon, that's how much I love it! Give this a try! Will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I loved the color this gave after one coat, a deep plum. While the color was perfect after one coat, it was kind of streaky and needed another. After two coats though, this is pretty much just black. If you look at it in direct sunlight you see a hint of plum but it's mostly just black. I don't really care for such a dark color (have this on my toes). Not as difficult to apply as I had expected it to be. Essie describes this as "a rich, deep wine." If you liked OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark but had difficulty applying it, give Sole Mate a try.

Popular Polishes