Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Sole Mate is one of the few vampy shades I actually like on myself! It is a gorgeous deep burgundy with some slight plummy undertones - but on my NC15 skin it pulls more red than purple. It is not too deep a shade either, while it is a blackened burgundy, it is clearly burgundy in all lighting. It is a very flattering vampy shade and looks quite classy on the nail. It also makes a gorgeous deep pedicure for the winter. The formula was excellent as was the wear time. It got even, opaque coverage in two easy coats with no streaking or bald patches. It dried quickly and to a shiny finish. It wore well, lasting 5 days on the nail when paired with base and top coat, with only minimal tip wear on the 5th day. I was very happy with the wear time. It is a gorgeous classy shade, a lovely dark shade for those who are new to vamps and classic enough to be office appropriate also. This is one of my Essie favourites!

on 10/19/2014 2:04:00 PM

I'm quite disappointed, after seeing it in magazines pitched as a smokey plum, I was hoping for a smokey grey purple. Instead it was far far closer to a blackened red. In short think wine, not plum.
Therefore my hunt led me to Barry M 'vintage violet' which is really lovely a smokey violet , with quite a bit of grey. Ironically the comparison is heightened as 'sole mate' Is still streaky after 2 coats and Barry M was pretty much perfect after 1. Over all, it's ok, but don't order online as it's very misleading.

on 7/9/2012 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Remarkable. Sole Mate is exactly as essie describes it: a creamy, rich, deep dark plum. One coat is deep and opaque, but two coats give that vampish, deep plum color I was looking for. In the type of work I do I really can't wear it on my hands, but I wear it on my toes a lot. Berry Hard is my favorite essie color, but Sole Mate is a very close runner-up. If you're an essie fan and you don't own this color, well, you should!

on 2/2/2007 8:55:00 PM

I love this colour! It's my first vampy shade, and now that I've gotten used to it, I think I'm addicted! It was very easy to apply. It's like a dark, dark purple.

on 1/7/2006 5:18:00 PM

I really like this shade(Cat1104 described it perfectly as "a cool-toned, blackened plum creme") but found the quality a bit disappointing. It goes on quite streaky and application is not that easy. I will probably not repurchase, I will look for a lookalike with better quality.

Popular Polishes