Essie Sole Mate

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

4.2

Sole Mate is one of the few vampy shades I actually like on myself! It is a gorgeous deep burgundy with some slight plummy undertones - but on my NC15 skin it pulls more red than purple. It is not too deep a shade either, while it is a blackened burgundy, it is clearly burgundy in all lighting. It is a very flattering vampy shade and looks quite classy on the nail. It also makes a gorgeous deep pedicure for the winter. The formula was excellent as was the wear time. It got even, opaque coverage in two easy coats with no streaking or bald patches. It dried quickly and to a shiny finish. It wore well, lasting 5 days on the nail when paired with base and top coat, with only minimal tip wear on the 5th day. I was very happy with the wear time. It is a gorgeous classy shade, a lovely dark shade for those who are new to vamps and classic enough to be office appropriate also. This is one of my Essie favourites!

on 10/6/2013 2:03:00 PM

This is my favorite Essie fall/winter shade for toes that I return to each year. I always do a little experimenting at the nail salon with the trendy colors (blues, purples etc) but then return to this one every time. I finally purchased it last year and while I still experiment if a new color catches my eye, I don't purchase the trendy stuff. This is a deep classy burgundy shade that goes on smooth and leaves your toes super glossy. It works well with any shoe style or occasion unlike the trendy colors! If you're looking for a modern take on a classy dark red/plum, look no further.

I have found my sole mate fall nail color LOL!

on 3/13/2013 2:46:00 AM

Deep Reds and Burgundies are my favorite nail colors for fall/winter every year so I own a fair collection. I love the plum undertones that Sole Mate has and make it distinct to the other deep reds I own. I also like the fact that it lasts for 3-4 days at least (with topcoat) with no chipping on the ends like China Glaze does.

What I don't like at all is how streaky it is and how small the brush is, making it difficult to apply evenly. The first coat is transparent and blotchy. The second coat almost gets the job done, but not completely. It probably needs 3 coats to make it perfect, but with 3 coats the color is so dark, it's seems close to black when indoors. Since it's so streaky, it takes a lot of time and attention to detail in the first place if you want to do a good, clean job (like another reviewer mentions below, it tends to bleed a lot too, meaning you have to do a VERY good job of cleaning/removing cutticles before applying. In fact, it's such a bother, that despite the gorgeous color, it's one of my least used polishes.

All in all, a very nice color but made cumbersome to use by its streaky nature. If only the brush was like OPI's, it'd gain 2 more stars from me. As it is, I won't repurchase when it's finished. Oh, and 1 year after I got it, it still needs no thinning; I guess that's a plus.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Sole Mate is a deep plummy/eggplant like color, I purchased it basically knowing I will never wear it, it was purchased just to add to my nail polish collection and if a friend comes over and likes it she sure can borrow it.........lol
Sole Mate is a nice color but it's not my cup of tea.
I prefer Swing Velvet which is really flattering on my fair/cool skintone, and the color is a beautiful shiny berry/plum that applies like a charm.

on 9/16/2012 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

another great essie polish, you only need one coat of this and it's opaque. it's not exactly my taste (too dark) but it's a gorgeous color. I'll probably give it to my sister, because it's not for me, but this looks beautiful on, it's maroon with a hint of purple.

on 7/9/2012 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Remarkable. Sole Mate is exactly as essie describes it: a creamy, rich, deep dark plum. One coat is deep and opaque, but two coats give that vampish, deep plum color I was looking for. In the type of work I do I really can't wear it on my hands, but I wear it on my toes a lot. Berry Hard is my favorite essie color, but Sole Mate is a very close runner-up. If you're an essie fan and you don't own this color, well, you should!

on 12/30/2011 5:35:00 PM

I have 30+ more bottles of nail polish from various brands; department store and drug store brands. This is the first nail polish I write a review on. Sole Mate is the ONLY nail polish that whenever I am out with it I get compliments all day: At the cashiers, in the elevator (when I press the elevator buttons people notice my nail polish LOL) I can only say THIS IS CRAZY. Even my boyfriend who does not care notices this color and he said it's nice too! Just go buy this!!

on 11/30/2011 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I love the color, it's blackened burgundy with a hint of purple, reminds me of black cherries someway. It's dark but not gothic and I like the glossy finish too. Downfalls: the first (and sometimes even the second) coat is always too streaky. It also chips very quickly unfortunately...

A gorgeous vamp color..i love Chanel vamp but this is darker. This goes on and doesn't chip. I love it on my toes as well. I would say this is a true dark plummy brown shade. I love Essie polish!

A very amazing combination for burgundy and purple. I don't know how they do it! But this is a redish plumy polish with one coat, and dark red in door dark purple out door polish with 2 coats. This is really amazing I can't rave enough about the colour, perfect for fall! I like Essie nail polishes more than OPI because they chip WAY less, I can put 2 coats on and it will last me more than 3 days, but keep in mind I play the piano everyday so my nail chips usually within 5 hours after I put on polish. OPI will survive 1 day without chipping, and Essie will go on for more than 3 days. I find them more hardening than OPI. I am sure if I don't play the piano, Essie will last me way over a week. I don't like Essie's brush, it is very thin, while it is easier for me to get into the corner, it gives a streaky application. BUT luckily the second coat will sort things out and give the perfect finish.

Popular Polishes