Essie Sole Mate

Sole Mate

4.2

on 9/14/2005 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was a little leery about getting this because it's similar to OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, which just looks black on me and is difficult to work with. I'm glad I got this though. It's a cool-toned, blackened plum creme. Unlike my experience with LPAD, Sole Mate doesn't get goopy during application. Two thin coats gives me shiny, super dark plum-colored tips. However, thicker/more coats will definitely yield a deeper, darker color that's closer to black and looks almost identical to LPAD if that's what you're looking for.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Sole Mate is one of the few vampy shades I actually like on myself! It is a gorgeous deep burgundy with some slight plummy undertones - but on my NC15 skin it pulls more red than purple. It is not too deep a shade either, while it is a blackened burgundy, it is clearly burgundy in all lighting. It is a very flattering vampy shade and looks quite classy on the nail. It also makes a gorgeous deep pedicure for the winter. The formula was excellent as was the wear time. It got even, opaque coverage in two easy coats with no streaking or bald patches. It dried quickly and to a shiny finish. It wore well, lasting 5 days on the nail when paired with base and top coat, with only minimal tip wear on the 5th day. I was very happy with the wear time. It is a gorgeous classy shade, a lovely dark shade for those who are new to vamps and classic enough to be office appropriate also. This is one of my Essie favourites!

on 11/3/2009 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Essie's Sole Mate is one of my favorite vampy shades. It is an extremely dark, blackened purple with plum & violet undertones, the color of an eggplant in warm sun. Sole Mate has a glossy cream finish that glistens with the rich tones of this shade. I do two coats of this color and it's perfectly opaque. This is one of my go-to polishes when I want a sexy look. I love the contrast of this deep dark color against my fair skin and also how perfectly the purple shade works with my neutral undertones. Definite repurchase & highly recommend! ♥

on 11/12/2012 1:28:00 AM

I love the color. But it is a bear to apply. Like most Essie polish, 1st coat goes on streaky. I waited 5 minutes, then applies the 2nd coat and it went blotchy, so blotchy that I was not sure that even a 3rd coat would salvage it. Also, I nicked a cuticle and trying to correct it only led to 'bleeding' of the color further into the cuticle. It was horrible.

I have not seen any comments about the bleeding aspect. And I sure don't understand the comments that say it was opaque in 1 coat. It was not opaque for me, even after 2 coats.

I removed the entire paint job and settled for "Don't Sweater It" instead.
If anyone has any tips on how to get a nice paint job with this polish, I sure would appreciate it. Also, how to handle the bleeding.

A very amazing combination for burgundy and purple. I don't know how they do it! But this is a redish plumy polish with one coat, and dark red in door dark purple out door polish with 2 coats. This is really amazing I can't rave enough about the colour, perfect for fall! I like Essie nail polishes more than OPI because they chip WAY less, I can put 2 coats on and it will last me more than 3 days, but keep in mind I play the piano everyday so my nail chips usually within 5 hours after I put on polish. OPI will survive 1 day without chipping, and Essie will go on for more than 3 days. I find them more hardening than OPI. I am sure if I don't play the piano, Essie will last me way over a week. I don't like Essie's brush, it is very thin, while it is easier for me to get into the corner, it gives a streaky application. BUT luckily the second coat will sort things out and give the perfect finish.

on 9/26/2008 4:18:00 PM

Until recently, I was always a "Ballet Slippers" kind of girl, going for the classic, sophisticated pale shade on short squared nails, both for hands and feet. One day, I decided to "take the plunge" and go for for a dark shade, looking for the "vampy yet sophisticated" look. Sole Mate is just perfect, and has gotten me out of my pale nail rut! It's a chic burgundy shade, but instead of the wine undertones in many similar shades, Sole Mate has this fantastic purple undertone. It looks fantastic with anything you would wear-- like a dark neutral, IMO. I like it year-round, but it definitely makes a fabulous fall/winter shade! It only takes two coats to get the color in the bottle, which is great. I have very pale, neutral toned skin (lighter than NC/W 15), and I like the contrast between myself and the polish, though it doesn't look goth or anything. The wear is pretty good (about 3-4 days) until a chip typically appears (YMMV). I take my own bottle with me now to the nail salon, that's how much I love it! Give this a try! Will definitely repurchase.

on 2/13/2013 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Gorgeous deep, dark, blackened plum-burgundy color. Sole Mate applies beautifully -- it's horribly streaky with the first coat, but as a review says below, it magically evens out with the second coat to a gorgeous, even, opaque coat of color. I've had issues with streaky Essies in the past (even with 3 coats!), and Sole Mate is not one of them. Applies beautifully, and with Orly Bonder BC and SH Hard as Nails TC, it lasts me a work week before I start to get significant chipping.

on 12/30/2011 5:35:00 PM

I have 30+ more bottles of nail polish from various brands; department store and drug store brands. This is the first nail polish I write a review on. Sole Mate is the ONLY nail polish that whenever I am out with it I get compliments all day: At the cashiers, in the elevator (when I press the elevator buttons people notice my nail polish LOL) I can only say THIS IS CRAZY. Even my boyfriend who does not care notices this color and he said it's nice too! Just go buy this!!

on 12/9/2011 4:01:00 PM

This polish is really starting to grow on me. After my first coat of application I was convinced that me and Sole Mate were going to be arch enemies. It was so streaky for a dark color. But low and behold, everything changed with the 2nd coat. The polish was opaque. I also have Masquerade Belle in my stash which looks pretty similar bottlewise. But from what I've seen Sole Mate is much more plummy and far less of a beast to work with then Masquerade. I layered Shine of the Times with this. I am obsessed with the way that this looks. It's quite possible that this eye-catching combo is my best looking manicure yet.

on 1/7/2006 5:18:00 PM

I really like this shade(Cat1104 described it perfectly as "a cool-toned, blackened plum creme") but found the quality a bit disappointing. It goes on quite streaky and application is not that easy. I will probably not repurchase, I will look for a lookalike with better quality.

Popular Polishes