Essie Sole Mate

Sole Mate

4.2

on 9/14/2005 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was a little leery about getting this because it's similar to OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, which just looks black on me and is difficult to work with. I'm glad I got this though. It's a cool-toned, blackened plum creme. Unlike my experience with LPAD, Sole Mate doesn't get goopy during application. Two thin coats gives me shiny, super dark plum-colored tips. However, thicker/more coats will definitely yield a deeper, darker color that's closer to black and looks almost identical to LPAD if that's what you're looking for.

on 11/3/2009 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Essie's Sole Mate is one of my favorite vampy shades. It is an extremely dark, blackened purple with plum & violet undertones, the color of an eggplant in warm sun. Sole Mate has a glossy cream finish that glistens with the rich tones of this shade. I do two coats of this color and it's perfectly opaque. This is one of my go-to polishes when I want a sexy look. I love the contrast of this deep dark color against my fair skin and also how perfectly the purple shade works with my neutral undertones. Definite repurchase & highly recommend! ♥

on 11/12/2012 1:28:00 AM

I love the color. But it is a bear to apply. Like most Essie polish, 1st coat goes on streaky. I waited 5 minutes, then applies the 2nd coat and it went blotchy, so blotchy that I was not sure that even a 3rd coat would salvage it. Also, I nicked a cuticle and trying to correct it only led to 'bleeding' of the color further into the cuticle. It was horrible.

I have not seen any comments about the bleeding aspect. And I sure don't understand the comments that say it was opaque in 1 coat. It was not opaque for me, even after 2 coats.

I removed the entire paint job and settled for "Don't Sweater It" instead.
If anyone has any tips on how to get a nice paint job with this polish, I sure would appreciate it. Also, how to handle the bleeding.

A very amazing combination for burgundy and purple. I don't know how they do it! But this is a redish plumy polish with one coat, and dark red in door dark purple out door polish with 2 coats. This is really amazing I can't rave enough about the colour, perfect for fall! I like Essie nail polishes more than OPI because they chip WAY less, I can put 2 coats on and it will last me more than 3 days, but keep in mind I play the piano everyday so my nail chips usually within 5 hours after I put on polish. OPI will survive 1 day without chipping, and Essie will go on for more than 3 days. I find them more hardening than OPI. I am sure if I don't play the piano, Essie will last me way over a week. I don't like Essie's brush, it is very thin, while it is easier for me to get into the corner, it gives a streaky application. BUT luckily the second coat will sort things out and give the perfect finish.

on 9/26/2008 4:18:00 PM

Until recently, I was always a "Ballet Slippers" kind of girl, going for the classic, sophisticated pale shade on short squared nails, both for hands and feet. One day, I decided to "take the plunge" and go for for a dark shade, looking for the "vampy yet sophisticated" look. Sole Mate is just perfect, and has gotten me out of my pale nail rut! It's a chic burgundy shade, but instead of the wine undertones in many similar shades, Sole Mate has this fantastic purple undertone. It looks fantastic with anything you would wear-- like a dark neutral, IMO. I like it year-round, but it definitely makes a fabulous fall/winter shade! It only takes two coats to get the color in the bottle, which is great. I have very pale, neutral toned skin (lighter than NC/W 15), and I like the contrast between myself and the polish, though it doesn't look goth or anything. The wear is pretty good (about 3-4 days) until a chip typically appears (YMMV). I take my own bottle with me now to the nail salon, that's how much I love it! Give this a try! Will definitely repurchase.

on 2/13/2013 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Gorgeous deep, dark, blackened plum-burgundy color. Sole Mate applies beautifully -- it's horribly streaky with the first coat, but as a review says below, it magically evens out with the second coat to a gorgeous, even, opaque coat of color. I've had issues with streaky Essies in the past (even with 3 coats!), and Sole Mate is not one of them. Applies beautifully, and with Orly Bonder BC and SH Hard as Nails TC, it lasts me a work week before I start to get significant chipping.

on 12/30/2011 5:35:00 PM

I have 30+ more bottles of nail polish from various brands; department store and drug store brands. This is the first nail polish I write a review on. Sole Mate is the ONLY nail polish that whenever I am out with it I get compliments all day: At the cashiers, in the elevator (when I press the elevator buttons people notice my nail polish LOL) I can only say THIS IS CRAZY. Even my boyfriend who does not care notices this color and he said it's nice too! Just go buy this!!

on 12/9/2011 4:01:00 PM

This polish is really starting to grow on me. After my first coat of application I was convinced that me and Sole Mate were going to be arch enemies. It was so streaky for a dark color. But low and behold, everything changed with the 2nd coat. The polish was opaque. I also have Masquerade Belle in my stash which looks pretty similar bottlewise. But from what I've seen Sole Mate is much more plummy and far less of a beast to work with then Masquerade. I layered Shine of the Times with this. I am obsessed with the way that this looks. It's quite possible that this eye-catching combo is my best looking manicure yet.

on 1/7/2006 5:18:00 PM

I really like this shade(Cat1104 described it perfectly as "a cool-toned, blackened plum creme") but found the quality a bit disappointing. It goes on quite streaky and application is not that easy. I will probably not repurchase, I will look for a lookalike with better quality.

on 10/19/2014 2:04:00 PM

I'm quite disappointed, after seeing it in magazines pitched as a smokey plum, I was hoping for a smokey grey purple. Instead it was far far closer to a blackened red. In short think wine, not plum.
Therefore my hunt led me to Barry M 'vintage violet' which is really lovely a smokey violet , with quite a bit of grey. Ironically the comparison is heightened as 'sole mate' Is still streaky after 2 coats and Barry M was pretty much perfect after 1. Over all, it's ok, but don't order online as it's very misleading.

Popular Polishes