Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

4.2

on 10/6/2013 2:03:00 PM

This is my favorite Essie fall/winter shade for toes that I return to each year. I always do a little experimenting at the nail salon with the trendy colors (blues, purples etc) but then return to this one every time. I finally purchased it last year and while I still experiment if a new color catches my eye, I don't purchase the trendy stuff. This is a deep classy burgundy shade that goes on smooth and leaves your toes super glossy. It works well with any shoe style or occasion unlike the trendy colors! If you're looking for a modern take on a classy dark red/plum, look no further.

I have found my sole mate fall nail color LOL!

on 3/13/2013 2:46:00 AM

Deep Reds and Burgundies are my favorite nail colors for fall/winter every year so I own a fair collection. I love the plum undertones that Sole Mate has and make it distinct to the other deep reds I own. I also like the fact that it lasts for 3-4 days at least (with topcoat) with no chipping on the ends like China Glaze does.

What I don't like at all is how streaky it is and how small the brush is, making it difficult to apply evenly. The first coat is transparent and blotchy. The second coat almost gets the job done, but not completely. It probably needs 3 coats to make it perfect, but with 3 coats the color is so dark, it's seems close to black when indoors. Since it's so streaky, it takes a lot of time and attention to detail in the first place if you want to do a good, clean job (like another reviewer mentions below, it tends to bleed a lot too, meaning you have to do a VERY good job of cleaning/removing cutticles before applying. In fact, it's such a bother, that despite the gorgeous color, it's one of my least used polishes.

All in all, a very nice color but made cumbersome to use by its streaky nature. If only the brush was like OPI's, it'd gain 2 more stars from me. As it is, I won't repurchase when it's finished. Oh, and 1 year after I got it, it still needs no thinning; I guess that's a plus.

on 7/9/2012 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Remarkable. Sole Mate is exactly as essie describes it: a creamy, rich, deep dark plum. One coat is deep and opaque, but two coats give that vampish, deep plum color I was looking for. In the type of work I do I really can't wear it on my hands, but I wear it on my toes a lot. Berry Hard is my favorite essie color, but Sole Mate is a very close runner-up. If you're an essie fan and you don't own this color, well, you should!

on 10/8/2009 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First coat went on a little streaky, but after 2nd looks gorgeous on my toes. Great fall color. Deep, deep purple/burgundy.

I am loving this so far - maybe the best Essie I've tried yet for cover and durability. And WHAT a gorgeous shade - it is mostly a creme (think Lincoln Park After Dark with a touch more red in it) but especially after putting topcoat on it I could see sparkles in it. It did cover my nails after one coat but it was a bit streaky, it really needed the two coats to be as lovely as it is now. Even though it's a vampy shade, it makes me feel very happy and spring-y. :)

Popular Polishes