Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

4.4

on 10/19/2014 2:04:00 PM

I'm quite disappointed, after seeing it in magazines pitched as a smokey plum, I was hoping for a smokey grey purple. Instead it was far far closer to a blackened red. In short think wine, not plum.
Therefore my hunt led me to Barry M 'vintage violet' which is really lovely a smokey violet , with quite a bit of grey. Ironically the comparison is heightened as 'sole mate' Is still streaky after 2 coats and Barry M was pretty much perfect after 1. Over all, it's ok, but don't order online as it's very misleading.

on 2/13/2013 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Gorgeous deep, dark, blackened plum-burgundy color. Sole Mate applies beautifully -- it's horribly streaky with the first coat, but as a review says below, it magically evens out with the second coat to a gorgeous, even, opaque coat of color. I've had issues with streaky Essies in the past (even with 3 coats!), and Sole Mate is not one of them. Applies beautifully, and with Orly Bonder BC and SH Hard as Nails TC, it lasts me a work week before I start to get significant chipping.

on 12/30/2011 5:35:00 PM

I have 30+ more bottles of nail polish from various brands; department store and drug store brands. This is the first nail polish I write a review on. Sole Mate is the ONLY nail polish that whenever I am out with it I get compliments all day: At the cashiers, in the elevator (when I press the elevator buttons people notice my nail polish LOL) I can only say THIS IS CRAZY. Even my boyfriend who does not care notices this color and he said it's nice too! Just go buy this!!

on 12/9/2011 4:01:00 PM

This polish is really starting to grow on me. After my first coat of application I was convinced that me and Sole Mate were going to be arch enemies. It was so streaky for a dark color. But low and behold, everything changed with the 2nd coat. The polish was opaque. I also have Masquerade Belle in my stash which looks pretty similar bottlewise. But from what I've seen Sole Mate is much more plummy and far less of a beast to work with then Masquerade. I layered Shine of the Times with this. I am obsessed with the way that this looks. It's quite possible that this eye-catching combo is my best looking manicure yet.

A gorgeous vamp color..i love Chanel vamp but this is darker. This goes on and doesn't chip. I love it on my toes as well. I would say this is a true dark plummy brown shade. I love Essie polish!

on 4/17/2008 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I purchased this color at Ulta last week and let me tell you, I am in love! Sole Mate is a very dark burgundy color with a deep purple undertone. Indoors, the color looks like a very dark, flat burgundy and outdoors, the purple tones really come out nicely! Chanel's Vamp is a similar color but it has more brown than this. Essie polishes have great staying power and seem to chip less than Chanel or even OPI. I think I may switch over from OPI.

on 10/16/2007 7:47:00 PM

This and Wicked are the best dark colors I have found. It has great staying power and looks good on most skin tones. My only complaint is the Essie bottles--they are always getting glued shut :-)

Pretty - very deep. Like Wicked but with a purple tint, not a wine tint.

Popular Polishes