Guerlain Mahora [DISCONTINUED]

Guerlain Mahora [DISCONTINUED]

3.0

on 2/23/2016 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is a great fragrance. At the beginning, two different types of creaminess flit in and out, one reminiscent of coconut creme and the other of suntan lotion. (I did not really discern green notes.) This might have been a nod toward the beach fragrance category, but it doesn't seem very beach-y to me because those notes are gone pretty quickly.

Tropical flowers are what define this fragrance. They are big. The basenotes go on forever, with the sandalwood-vanilla prominent and very little vetiver. It doesn't seem like the typical Guerlainade found in so many of the recently produced Guerlains. This is another great floral to add to my collection.

Supposedly, this was reformatted and sold as Mayotte. Different notes are listed for the fragrances, so my guess would be that if one loves Guerlain, it would still be a good idea to sample both. Notes for Mahora per Fragrantica: orange blossom, almond blossom, and green accords in the top, ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose and jasmine in the heart, and sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver in the base. Production of parfum for both Mayotte and Mahora has been discontinued. The latter, in EDP form, can still be obtained online for very reasonable prices.

Note: This has to be one of the ugliest bottles produced in the business. Ignore it.

on 9/28/2015 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have a little miniature bottle that I got on eBay. It's a monster buttery tropical tuberose, frangipani scent that opens green with sandalwood in the dry down. Doesn't come across as a Guerlain, but quite frankly, IMO, Samsara, with quite a bit of ylang ylang doesn't come across as a Guerlian to me either ( in fact I think Samsara is almost Chanel like in its treatment of ylang ylang). Mahora was released at a time when this type of scent was not in fashion, 1999. If released In the 1980s no doubt this could have been an enormous blockbuster in the style of Giorgio or Poison. I don't think it should be downgraded even if it was inspired, at least in part, by fragrances that preceded it, from Fracas to Sand and Sable.

I also think this would have a higher MUA lippie rating if it came out of a perfume house that people considered more modern niche like Montale (intense Tiare gets a 3.9 here); Killian coconut tuberose beyond love (4.2 here); SL fleurs de oranger ( orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose 3.6); or Ormonde Jayne frangipani (granted that is very citrus and not a powerhouse white flower). Dab very sparingly even out of a mini.

Fans of piguet Fracas or FM Carnal flower or Killian or Montale scents or SL datura noire (coconut tuberose) or, Sand and Sable (3.6 here) should at least consider trying this. It definitely has merit. Bottles of new dead stock that look like the photo above can be found for very reasonable prices on line.

Note: I realized that I am giving this 4 lippies when I gave Samsara only 3 (and arguably Samsara is more my type of fragrance, out of the two at least). The reason is I feel that people really don't give Mahora a chance because they come to Guerlain with a certain expectation of a grande dame, and are shocked to get a commercialized femme fatale whose brashness is almost a parody of itself. I also feel that Samsara, in comparison to other Sandalwoods, is a bit middle of the road and safe department store niche -ish. But, perhaps the real reason is that I root for the underdog.

on 12/1/2010 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

OMG, this is sand and sable from my teen years!! I can't believe it, it smells exact. I liked it after I sprayed it on but the drydown just smells cheap. Yuck.

on 10/20/2013 10:41:00 AM

In 2000, I attended a NYC party to introduce Mahora. Each attendee got a bottle of the EDP. The EDP was always different (and better) than the EDT. I have heard the EDT of Mahora was reissued in 2006 as a much more expensive Guerlain fragrance, Mayotte, which came in the glass Bee bottle. Here are the notes for Mayotte, then for Mahora, as per Fragrantica. Mayotte: Top notes neroli and frangipani; middle notes tuberose, indian jasmine and ylang-ylang; base notes sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver. Mahora: The fragrance features orange blossom, almond blossom, and green accords in the top, ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose and jasmine in the heart, and sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver in the base. At this 2000 Mahora launch, Jean-Paul Guerlain was there, as Mahora was his creation. He introduced attendees to the woman who was his inspiration for this sexy, dark tuberose--his girlfriend. A chic, tall, slim, silver-tressed woman in her early Sixties appeared at his side (and to much applause, as I recall). JPG totally won me over that night, not just with his personal charm and stunning new fragrance, but for the way he demonstrated his love for a beautiful age-appropriate woman.

on 8/23/2010 9:15:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

If you're looking for an amazing oriental with a big O, try Mahora...
It is sooo changeable, you might think that this is a totaly different perfume than the one you've put on in the morning...
it takes hours to develope a sensuous scent of tuberose and almonds, a scent I have not senced anywhere else....
heavy,heavy 70ties composition, thougt the perfume is quite ''young''...
if you like tuberose, but hate Fracas,Panthere and other Tuberose giants, this might work for you...
i love it and admire it!

on 5/14/2015 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I like Mahora a lot, actually. It's a creamy, woody, white and yellow floral, very elegant to my nose but more classic than modern. I especially love the addition of almond blossom which provides an interesting twist. The green opening wasn't my favourite but other than that it's lush! Performs nicely as well.

on 4/3/2010 4:47:00 AM

I received Mahora in the mail today and anxiously awaited my transport to a beautiful tropical island. After the first spray I noted coconut and an indistinct fruity smell that quickly evaporated. Then it turned to tuberose and maybe gardenia, definitely shouting white flowers. I was hoping for something more, more complex middle notes or a drydown with depth but on my skin it just didn't happen. It was linear all the way. Though it is pleasant enough I could find other fragrances like Sand and Sable that aren't as expensive and smell as good or better on my skin. I'll try again tomorrow to see if it becomes more nuanced. At least on my dry skin it isn't overpowering. Maybe as the weather warms up it will bloom on me?

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This came out very spicy with carnation notes on my skin. It stayed spicy as tuberose poked its head through. The spiciness continued to evolve to a carnation/nutmeg and then it fell flat, like the life was sucked out of it, and it just died on my skin. Also became a headache-inducer as it died its slow carnation death.

on 4/3/2010 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a love-it or hate-it kinda deal. Mahora is a big white floral--BIG tuberose! It's similar to Fracas, but with tropical supporting notes. I think it's gorgeous after about the first half hour. My husband also likes this and unlike Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia (another big white floral) he does not get a headache from this one. I personally prefer it to Fracas; its creaminess is more sensual and snuggly. As far as the comparison to Blonde, Blonde is rather vulgar and lacks the creaminess of Mahora, Fracas and EL Tuberose Gardenia. Like most tuberose fragrances, Mahora is not for the meek! Draws or rather demands compliments. Go gently with the spray bottle, or dab it on. As far as the packaging, I think the bottle's as nice/nicer than many other mainstream Guerlains. Mayotte comes in the prettier Les Parisiennes bee bottle, but with a price over $200.

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

"Sand and Sable" ring a bell? Mahora (2000) must be a COMPLETE rip-off of Sand & Sable by Coty (1983). It was a staple at drugstores in the 80s, my friend in elementary school wore this regularly. Yes, I did like that fragrance then, but this IS definitely a bit overwhelming. Mahora smells so much like Sand & Sable, that I can't hardly even begin to characterize it or dissect the notes. I'm not getting a strong tuberose yet, it is so overwhelmed by these WHITE FLORALS YELLING IN MY FACE!!! ;)
Since I have no idea what frangipani smells like, I won't say that this is what I'm smelling, but I honestly don't even detect the tuberose. I was expecting heavy, tropical, but all I got was a high-end version of Sand & Sable. Not huge fan. Maybe the dry-down will be better, if so, I will update in about 12 hours or so... I'm willing to wait!

UPDATE: It has that ridiculous, relentless sillage like nectary Amarige. I don't get any incense, unfortunately, a break from this too-sweet, fakey floral nectar would be nice. What with the migraine that was "Sa Majeste" yesterday, I had to wash off Mahora when I felt that coming on again... yes, I love perfumes. Yes, I get migraines from them if they're too loud and obnoxious. And yes.... I did have to wash it off... I just couldn't 'mahore it up' anymore... (bad joke)
*Whispers* Mahora... you're gonna have to be a little more quiet in here... if you want to hang out... waaaaayyyy more quiet.... [please, not another migraine...]
Luckily, some tuberose hydrasol just came in the mail from Dabney rose, which I promptly sprayed all over my face. Ahhh, a real tuberose-- to the rescue!!

Popular Fragrances