Avalon Organics Botanicals Rosemary Shampoo

Avalon Organics Botanicals Rosemary Shampoo

3.8

Not tested on animals

Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice(1), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Laurylglucosides Hydroxypropylsulfonate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract(1), Dioscorea Villosa (Wild Yam) Root Extract(1), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract(1), Styrax Benzoin Resin Extract, Cedrus Atlantica Bark Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Copaifera Officinalis (Balsam Copaiba) Resin, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Seed Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil(1), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Pogostemon Cablin (Patchouli) Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil(1), Arginine, Bisabolol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Citrate, Sodium PCA, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Alcohol(1), Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool.

on 11/3/2016 2:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I picked this up because I've been experiencing a drier than normal scalp due to the drastic change in weather this season. My hairdresser suggested I try something with rosemary to soothe the itching so I picked this up. It's my bad that I didn't check the label, but this has sulfates in it which are really not good for my curly 3a hair. While it does mildly help with my dry scalp, it totally ruins my curls and makes it look like a poofy mess. Not the kind of volume I'm looking for.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

LOVE THIS SHAMPOO!!! I picked it up on a hunt just looking for another shampoo. The all natural ingredients and volume it claims lured me to get it. Now let me tell you only use a little bit of this stuff because it's powerful and will zap your hair of moisture! I only use a little bit and it gets my hair squeaky clean! I was discouraged from my last all natural shampoo as it never got my hair clean. Also, this stuff is a frikin god send miracle. My boyfriend has terrible dandruff where I brush it and there were tons of gross big white flakes, I thought it was cuz he used stupid old spice 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner. Anyways, I also got him to try this shampoo, after only ONE use I never seemed to find any dandruff on his scalp!! Wow.

I have mild dandruff myself after a couple days or so, with this shampoo it's completely gone! Never thought a shampoo would do that (yes I have tried antidandruff shampoo too).

I only took off one lippie because it did nothing volume wise, but then again I don't expect any shampoo to do that as it's just designed to clean your hair and rinse out.

To Read all 53 Reviews, Login or Join

UPDATE:
I've changed my hair routine (very common for me) and now I'm able to use this shampoo with no problem. I read online that the reason some soaps and shampoo won't lather is due to the oil in the scalp. I have very oily hair so I double washed my hair with a generic dandruff shampoo and followed it up with the Avalon Organics shampoo and now am pleased to say that I am more in control of my scalp than I have ever been. Please note, I do not double wash every day (definitely not recommended) but I have been having scalp issues since youth so I adjust my regime depending on whether my scalp is oily, dandruff-y, dry or itchy. It's very temperamental, you see.

Original Review:
I'm always on the lookout for a good -fate free shampoo and picked this one up at a discount for it's smell and description which screams all-natural with essential oils, aloe... etc. And also, because I trust MakeupAlley to (almost) never do me wrong.

Almost.

Unfortunately, I shower with hard water, so my review will be very VERY biased because it's very difficult to find shampoo that will lather. This was no exception. I thoroughly enjoy this shampoo, but can't deny that having to run my fingers through hair so squeaky it's-like-nails-on-a-chalkboard scares me because I'm afraid one day I'll just pull all of my hair off. I'm not going to leave a bad rating because it will affect the overall score of the product, but it's a shame that it won't work out for me. No re-buy here.

Pick this up if you enjoy essential oils, all-natural ingredients and don't have unnecessarily hard water to contend with.

on 6/6/2015 1:43:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This shampoo is the best! I used to to use it a lot when I was a kid, but when I became a teen I decided to use other brands like Pantene and dove. Looking back I do regret it, because I decided to switch back to this one after I ran out of my shampoo. I literally used a drop of this shampoo because it is pricey and I hate wasting it, and it's literally all I needed to create a good lather! I could feel it cleaning my scalp without stripping any oils, and it worked really well with my thick, curly hair. My hair can dry really easily and can also get weighed down, so shampoos can be a challenge. But this product worked so well and it even improved my dandruff! As for volume, my hair already has a lot of volume so I wouldn't be able to say that it did add a lot, but bottom line is that it didn't dry it out or weight it down which is what I wanted. The scent is a bit strong and herby when washing but after a while it smells nice. Definitely recommend.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really like this shampoo. It claims its a "volumizing" shampoo, and I didn't find it added any volume, but that's not why I bought it in the first place. I bought it for the strong rosemary smell and the excellent ingredients.

It's sulfate and silicone free and has a lot of potentially invigorating oils in it. There are oils such as lavender, rosemary, and some citrus oils in it which I think could really get the circulation going on your scalp, which could aid in hair growth (just my theory).

I thought this shampoo would be a little drying but it is the opposite! Instead of having water as the first ingredient, they put aloe juice in it instead! And because of that my scalp feels really nice and not too dry, and my hair is extra soft after using this. I think this could work well for not only dry hair-ed people like myself, but for people with oily hair too as it cleanses nicely if you shampoo your hair twice (which I do on an oily day.)

I use this shampoo on days my hair needs an extra clean, as I only wash it once every 4 days or so, or on the days I want my scalp to get some extra care too. I would recommend this to someone looking for some potential hair growth, a nice gentle cleanser, and something to soften there hair.

on 11/29/2014 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Love, love, love this shampoo! Years ago I used the Aveda rosemary mint shampoo and really liked it. I recently saw this on sale and thought I'd give it a try to see how it compares.
It's not the same thing but it's wonderful. It doesn't lather up as quickly as some shampoos do but once you work it in the lather is very thick. The scent is very pleasant and it rinses out easily. Some reviewers have said it is drying but that's what I actually like about it. I only wash my hair about 3 times a week and I have a very oily scalp. I have found myself using less dry shampoo between washes since I've been using this shampoo. It definitely helps control the oil on my scalp. I haven't used the matching conditioner as I prefer to use a hair mask as my conditioner since I don't wash my hair everyday and It's long so the ends can get dry. I will definitely re-purchase this shampoo!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Like the lather, love the smell and leaves my blond coloured hair soft, shiny with just the right amount of volume. Only drawback is that it makes my scalp really flaky. They fall on my clothes without me touching my head. Don't think it's the Moroccan hair oil I add after or the Matrix putty that does that. Can only figure it's the shampoo. Even bent my head down one night to fluff my short hair to try to remove all the flakes. I could not believe the dandruff-like flakes that came down. Too bad because I love the shampoo. It's organic, which is a plus. I'd try another organic shampoo because of that. That's the reason for my 4 lippey rating. Packaging is not important to me, it's what inside that really counts. (like men, ha, ha).

Edit: 3rd try this morning. I rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed. After I thought I was done, I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. No flakes, no itching. I'll see tomorrow after a no-wash day. Good thing I'm not paying for water!

Edit: Have not reused after my 3rd try as my scalp became pitcher and pitcher by the end of the second day. Rinsed my hair as I told myself it was not normal for my scalp to itch that much. It's an itch that feels like a very slow burn. Had not thrown out the bottle yet.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

HG! Relieved all the itching and flaking caused by dandruff. There's a subtle herbal scent that did not cause any irritation and fades away quickly, too. IME, it was non drying, I sometimes don't even use any conditioner, and my hair is still soft.

At first I found the scent a bit over powering but I love how this lathers compared to other SLS, paraben, etc free shampoos. I mainly use it on my scalp and find it invigorating. Though one con is I find I must use lots of the product to get the wash I desire. The mint conditioner compliments this well. I can easily go two days no washing and don't find it drying as some have mentioned. My hair is fine, thin but lots of hair and I like the shine it leaves.

on 8/19/2013 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I only used this shampoo one time and saw a big difference in my hair! It had body, shine and looked so much fuller. I will definitely continue to use this Rosemary Shampoo, and I especially like that it is sulfate free.