Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

I recently switched to Argan oil and Jojoba oil. Because Coconut oil doesn't work for me, personally. Hair: Looks greasy, even if I use a tiny bit. Plus the effect doesn't last long, my hair feels dry and greasy in the end. It's hard to wash it off, even when I use my shampoo or conditioner twice. It doesn't make a good difference with my hair. Face: Might be ok for fine lines under my eyes but otherwise, it clogs my pores and I get acne/pimples. It feels like a greasy film which can't penetrate my skin. I tried it with and without water but it doesn't make a difference. Result is always the same. It's only good for removing makeup but then I have to use a cleaner or micellar water to remove the oily residue. Body: Same with face (except I don't get pimples). I like to apply it before I shave so my skin won't get irritated. Food: Eating pure coconut oil is... not my thing, thanks. A colleague at work told me it helps her and she noticed it makes her feel better. I tried to eat it before breakfast for five days (table spoon full) but I had to stop because I did not like it. So, as a shave oil and for its good benefits for eating it gets the 2 lips. But otherwise, it's not useful for me. I found that Argan oil and Jojoba oil are the best oils for me. And thank God I switched to these. Or else I would still say that oils are just a useless beauty trend.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Love this , I do saturate my hair with this overnight, wash it next day and it makes a difference really

I have used this as a facial and body moisturizer and I like it. Very light and smells good. My only problem is that I find that coconut oil doesn't absorb well into my skin and so I am left feeling a bit greasy.

on 7/11/2017 12:36:00 PM

I buy my coconut oil from Costco. you get a lot for what you are paying for. I use coconut oil for everything like hair masks, on legs after shaving (couple hours after), an under eye and eyelash oil, and so on. I do not recommend putting pure coconut oil on your face, in small amounts it may be okay but it is known for breaking people out.

I always struggled with CO in the shower. Do I melt it in the shower? Melt it prior showering? Greasy jar? Messy hands? etc. I thought there must be a better way and eureka the idea came to me in the shower of all places.

I brought two plastic silicone pop ice cube trays from Kmart at $1.50. Placed the jar in hot water, so all the CO melts but if it's hot enough it will melt on its own. Place the ice cube trays on a metal baking sheet. Carefully pour the oil into the ice cube trays. Place in a freeze or fridge for an hour. After an hour pop the ice cubes out and store in the jar in the fridge. I use two CO ice cubes on my skin after showering. You can even portion CO this way for cooking.

on 2/14/2017 3:28:00 PM

I started using this before I use my lush cleanser, and it makes a HUGE difference! My skin is much clearer because I'm actually taking off my makeup before using a scrub. I've used non-organic oil makeup removers, and they work a little better at taking everything off, but I love that this is natural and more moisturizing than other oils I have tried.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Use it all the time for a variety of things. Love it.

on 1/31/2017 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I am writing a review for extra virgin coconut oil in general because I have tried multiple brands. I have always had clear, though oily, skin. I wanted to be "all natural" and ditch my store bought skin care routine for one holy grail product, and of course, I picked coconut oil, what else right? It works okay in my hair. I honestly don't see that much of a difference in dryness or shine or anything. so then i started oil cleansing with it. I broke out in the most horrific cystic acne I've ever seen. It took me 2 months to get my skin clear again. I am so paranoid of that reaction again that I won't use any products containing coconut oil, it's not worth my skin.

Some oils that do work well for me are grapeseed, sunflower, safflower, castor, and sweet almond. If you are thinking about adding oils into your routine or switching completely please do some research. I have learned that my skin can tolerate and actually enjoy oils that are HIGH in linoleic acids, and very LOW in oleic acids. Coconut oil is very high in oleic acid.

As sensitive as I was to straight up coconut oil, there are many coconut derivatives that my skin loves. For example Bare Minerals complexion rescue. One of the first ingredients is coconut alkanes. I wore this tinted moisturizer for months with no adverse reactions.

on 11/29/2016 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using this for my hair as a leave-on product for more than 10 years now. I apply this on damp hair, and that tames my curly hair beautifully.

Also great as a makeup remover, easily removes waterproof mascara and liquid eyeliner.

Great all-around product! HG <3

on 1/31/2017 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Clogged pores or acne marks?
Use coconut oil to remove your makeup!!! That's what i did. My clogged pores were from my past poor makeup removal ways and it never really stopped because I never found the right product to cleanse my makeup away.

I went with OCM (with the castor oil, sunflower oil etc) and it was good for awhile, then it started making my face breakout because it got too dry. Hence i switched to some drugstore's waterbased remover. Same thing, it did look like it cleaned everything on the cotton pads but my face tells me otherwise.

I have tried quite a few number of facial oils - rosehip, sunflower, hemp, tamanu, castor. To be honest i was SUPER skeptical and paranoid about using Extra virgin coconut oil, because it has a comedogenic rating of 4! Holy crap.
However, on the first week of using that just as my makeup remover, my skin started seeing light.

Throw at me any lighting, any place, i will confidently take a selfie there. Why? Because those disgusting bumps are finally gone!!!!!! God bless. My skin is starting to clear up and the hyperpigmentation are slowly fading. Patience is key (:

Here's how I do it pretty much everyday (I use make up like 5-6days a week):
- Rub small amt of EXTRA VIRGIN coconut oil on face full of makeup for a good few minutes (I usually rub 3-5 minutes). Rub in circle motions
- Grab a clean face towel and soak in warm/slightly hot water to warm up the towel first. Then dip in again and squeeze excess. Put towel on face to open pores first. Then dip in water again, squeeze excess then start wiping the oil away gentle. DONT rub.
- Once done, cleanse with another face soap (I do this because Im scared of having coconut oil on my face after showering) and Im using a soap that has only natural ingredients such as tamanu oil, coconut oil etc. No other stuff. then rinse with cold water to close pores.

- I tone my face with rose water and am currently using Evian's facial mist to moisturize my face every now and then.

I realised my skin don't really do well if i moisturize with oils or any other creams/serums with tons of ingredients. And since coconut oil kinda moisturized my skin already so yeah, i can skip the moisturizer part.

Fyi my skin is on the dry/combi side. And I avoid milk/junk food too, cause i break out if i consume stuff with them (e.g. mccafe, coffeebean, icecream etc).
And now my skin is clear. Im taking Vitamin A, B&C, D, E and K supplements daily as well, as these vitamins will boost your body's repair systems = repair skin! Especially D, E and K!!

So far so good, even my mum's impressed with how improved my skin is now.
I use calamine lotion to spot treat pimples as well!

I use Nutiva's brand of coconut oil, bought it on iherb. You can use code FWN818 for $5 off!

Popular Lotions / Creams