Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 2/14/2017 3:28:00 PM

I started using this before I use my lush cleanser, and it makes a HUGE difference! My skin is much clearer because I'm actually taking off my makeup before using a scrub. I've used non-organic oil makeup removers, and they work a little better at taking everything off, but I love that this is natural and more moisturizing than other oils I have tried.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Use it all the time for a variety of things. Love it.

on 1/31/2017 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I am writing a review for extra virgin coconut oil in general because I have tried multiple brands. I have always had clear, though oily, skin. I wanted to be "all natural" and ditch my store bought skin care routine for one holy grail product, and of course, I picked coconut oil, what else right? It works okay in my hair. I honestly don't see that much of a difference in dryness or shine or anything. so then i started oil cleansing with it. I broke out in the most horrific cystic acne I've ever seen. It took me 2 months to get my skin clear again. I am so paranoid of that reaction again that I won't use any products containing coconut oil, it's not worth my skin.

Some oils that do work well for me are grapeseed, sunflower, safflower, castor, and sweet almond. If you are thinking about adding oils into your routine or switching completely please do some research. I have learned that my skin can tolerate and actually enjoy oils that are HIGH in linoleic acids, and very LOW in oleic acids. Coconut oil is very high in oleic acid.

As sensitive as I was to straight up coconut oil, there are many coconut derivatives that my skin loves. For example Bare Minerals complexion rescue. One of the first ingredients is coconut alkanes. I wore this tinted moisturizer for months with no adverse reactions.

on 1/31/2017 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Clogged pores or acne marks?
Use coconut oil to remove your makeup!!! That's what i did. My clogged pores were from my past poor makeup removal ways and it never really stopped because I never found the right product to cleanse my makeup away.

I went with OCM (with the castor oil, sunflower oil etc) and it was good for awhile, then it started making my face breakout because it got too dry. Hence i switched to some drugstore's waterbased remover. Same thing, it did look like it cleaned everything on the cotton pads but my face tells me otherwise.

I have tried quite a few number of facial oils - rosehip, sunflower, hemp, tamanu, castor. To be honest i was SUPER skeptical and paranoid about using Extra virgin coconut oil, because it has a comedogenic rating of 4! Holy crap.
However, on the first week of using that just as my makeup remover, my skin started seeing light.

Throw at me any lighting, any place, i will confidently take a selfie there. Why? Because those disgusting bumps are finally gone!!!!!! God bless. My skin is starting to clear up and the hyperpigmentation are slowly fading. Patience is key (:

Here's how I do it pretty much everyday (I use make up like 5-6days a week):
- Rub small amt of EXTRA VIRGIN coconut oil on face full of makeup for a good few minutes (I usually rub 3-5 minutes). Rub in circle motions
- Grab a clean face towel and soak in warm/slightly hot water to warm up the towel first. Then dip in again and squeeze excess. Put towel on face to open pores first. Then dip in water again, squeeze excess then start wiping the oil away gentle. DONT rub.
- Once done, cleanse with another face soap (I do this because Im scared of having coconut oil on my face after showering) and Im using a soap that has only natural ingredients such as tamanu oil, coconut oil etc. No other stuff. then rinse with cold water to close pores.

- I tone my face with rose water and am currently using Evian's facial mist to moisturize my face every now and then.

I realised my skin don't really do well if i moisturize with oils or any other creams/serums with tons of ingredients. And since coconut oil kinda moisturized my skin already so yeah, i can skip the moisturizer part.

Fyi my skin is on the dry/combi side. And I avoid milk/junk food too, cause i break out if i consume stuff with them (e.g. mccafe, coffeebean, icecream etc).
And now my skin is clear. Im taking Vitamin A, B&C, D, E and K supplements daily as well, as these vitamins will boost your body's repair systems = repair skin! Especially D, E and K!!

So far so good, even my mum's impressed with how improved my skin is now.
I use calamine lotion to spot treat pimples as well!

I use Nutiva's brand of coconut oil, bought it on iherb. You can use code FWN818 for $5 off!

on 11/29/2016 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using this for my hair as a leave-on product for more than 10 years now. I apply this on damp hair, and that tames my curly hair beautifully.

Also great as a makeup remover, easily removes waterproof mascara and liquid eyeliner.

Great all-around product! HG <3

on 10/21/2016 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Coconut oil has been a game changer for my hair. Brief background - my hair is very curly, very fine but lots of hair, long, dry and damaged from bleach/dye. I use coconut oil for 'sealing' my hair after using my hair jelly (a lighter version of hair gel...). It locks the moisture in and leaves my hair really soft and smooth. I've used it in the past as a deep treatment but prefer using it with my current method. I'm fairly generous with how much I apply as I have a lot of hair and it's curly. I apply when my hair is about 80% damp on top of my hair jelly and leave to air-dry. Never leaves my hair feeling weighed down and it's always left really shiny. As mentioned I've used a lot of bleach and dye over the last couple of years, and I feel like coconut oil has stopped it from falling out! Despite how much I mess with my hair it's in pretty good condition and I put it mainly down to this and avoiding SLS, silicones etc...

Coconut also works well as a body moisturizer but I always avoid my chest/neck/face as it breaks me out there. But for arms, legs and everywhere else it's great. Gets rid of KP (the funny lump bumps you get on the top of your arms), and is nice after shaving also.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have damaged hair from frequent coloring and perming. This stuff makes my hair look and feel decent. Plus, I love the smell of coconuts! Using this oil as a pre poo treatment left my hair stringy, but if I apply it after shampooing, it makes my hair silky and shiny. Now I can just air dry my hair and it'll look okay.

Love this stuff on my hair and on my lips and on my body but I think it breaks out my face. Still the best thing ever for mosturizing hair and body though!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Didn't agree with my skin, tried using it as a moisturizer at night an left me with fine heats (buttons) on my face. Worked great for my heels tho when they've dried and cracked up. Rub a small amount on there and a pair of socks and say goodbye to dry hard cracked up heels.

on 8/31/2016 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't going to write a review because the women here gave such wonderful tips and recipes. I used a lot of them! However, I wanted to join and give me little tip that is for the woman who takes meticulous care of herself and is looking for an extra bump in the beauty/health protocol.

Here it is:

Coconut oil in a 1 oz dropper filled most of the way followed by about 10 drops of tea tree oil. I've never seriously measured but this seems to be good for me. Tea tree oil can burn and injure your skin if used in concentrated form. Apply to your genitals after showing. Seriously, it sounds crazy but both of these have antiseptic qualities as well as moisturizing capabilities. I used this every day for many months and after the first two weeks of consistent use the quality of my skin down there changed.

It was softer, more supple, and seriously even easier to shave because it probably softened the hair as well. I also felt cleaner and even had a more pleasant, fresh scent because of the tea tree oil and the antiseptic qualities that can kill fungus and bacteria. I'm almost embarrassed to share this information but I told all my girlfriends and got rave reviews from those who tried this.

The best part? The clean feeling keeps me confident all day. Confident in my ability to take care of myself and confident to engage in intimate acts with my loved one without feeling like I need to take a shower first. That, my friends, is priceless.

An absolute must. Especially in the summer.
Tips? Get a dropper thats 2 ounces first so you can play with how much tea tree oil to use. Test on the inside of your thigh for allergic reactions.