Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use Carrington Farms Pure Cold Pressed 100% Organic Extra Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil.

I use it for everything.

- Cooking.

- Oil pulling... it was hard for me to get into this at first. Until I started keeping my coconut oil in the fridge. It's much easier when the oil starts off as a solid. The heat from your body melts it down in your mouth & you're able to swish it around. My teeth (which are very sensitive and don't do well with chemical teeth whiteners) are whiter, cleaner, & healthier overall. Plus the taste of coconut oil isn't nearly as offensive as that of other types of oils you can use, in my opinion.

- Moisturizing, most of the time underneath my eyes but sometimes all over my face before bed if I'm feeling especially dry. It's never broken me out but I've heard some people say it makes them break out, so I'd recommend trying some on a small portion of your face & seeing how your skin reacts to make sure it doesn't clog pores, etc.

- Hair/scalp treatment. It fixes up a flaky scalp wonderfully. When I put coconut oil in my hair I start by massaging it into the scalp, then I run it down through the ends. I allow it to soak in for about 30 minutes & then go about my normal showering/hair washing routine. I find doing this to be so balancing & restorative.

- This stuff is the best makeup remover ever, too. Especially for eye makeup.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I am writing my review for Spring Valley Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 12oz, sold for $11 at my local Walmart. I have included a collage of the product cover, visual contents, and expiration date that states "Do not buy, from Walmart, no seal under lid." This product is labeled for internal use, "One tablespoon daily...in place of other oils, including butter...use in cooking and baking..." Exp 03/19 If it's safe internally, it must be fine externally, right?

When I purchased this product, IT HAD A SHRINK WRAPPED SEAL, but had no seal under the lid. I didn't think anything of it because I had never used coconut oil before. I applied it by hand to my roots because I have dandruff. Then I applied it to my ends because my hair is very long and the ends are driest. I did not microwave the product at all.

About 15-20 minutes after application, I started experiencing massive headaches. I'm not prone to headaches, but I thought maybe I was just a little dehydrated because it's summer or maybe I was hungry or tired...The last thing I suspected was external use of an organic product. 40 minutes after application, I couldn't stand to hold my head up any longer with the headache, so I shampooed it out. My nasal passages immediately expanded and the pressure in my head started to subside. The product was causing sinus pressure because of its fumes on my head! I've used some extremely tough bleaches and dyes on my head in the past and they didn't give me the headaches and sinus pressure that this coconut oil did. I've drank coconut milk straight from a coconut, so I'm not allergic to raw coconut.

I didn't think anything about the label saying, "Refrigerate after opening" because I had just opened my product. When I read that, I thought it was probably for texture purposes, like how margerine is. Well, I guess the product had spoiled on the shelf and I had applied a freshly-opened $11 jar of rotten coconut to my head for 40 minutes before I became so sick that I had to wash it out.

I wrote Walmart customer service with my lot number and bar code. They will most likely keep selling their spoiled coconut in stores and shipping it from their website in jars that leak oil all over the place. Ingesting too much coconut causes flu-like symptoms (Dhiarrea, nausea, headaches, fevers...), so the odds are slim that a consumer will blame the product before their own body for adverse effects. This stuff is EVIL! I can't believe I paid $11 for spoiled coconut.

The results on my hair were a lot like if I had applied butter or baby oil to my hair. It took about 4 shampoos to get it all out and I don't see any difference at all. Im more impressed that using Matrix that many times didn't make my scalp flake off in one big chunk.

To Read all 914 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/7/2016 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

One of the best allrounder products. I use it as a mouthwash for brightening the teeth, hair mask or make-up remover. I never used it as a moisturizer, since I'm very clog prone, but massaging the oil directly on my face in the evening as a cleansing oil and washing it off afterwards never gave me any problems. Whenever I use the oil for my scalp and hair (I leave it in for about 20 minutes, then wash it off), I get so many compliments on how healthy and shiny my hair is. Basically, there are tons of recipes how to mix and match coconut oil for beauty purposes and even if you're a lazy type of a person or generally less a DIY person, who doesn't enjoy mixing stuff together, you can only use the coconut oil by itself, you will love it and its results.

on 6/6/2016 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I use Coconut Oil for just about everything.

Over the last few years I've had problems with my Thyroid which caused my skin to go from combination/oily to dry. Applying small amounts of CO on damp skin and massaging it in at night has been the best thing for it. I always wake up with supple and plump skin. All the time. I also make sure to massage this into my lashes when I apply it and have noticed they have gotten longer and I don't lose as many these days.

My hair is natural, very thick, coarse and curly. I always use CO over my leave in conditioner and it allows my hair to retain moisture longer than just using a leave in alone.

This is also the only body moisturizer I use. I apply it straight after a shower to damp skin. I only use this at night because it can take awhile for it to absorb and I don't have the time in the morning to wait for it. But no other lotion or body butter has made me this soft and supple.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

***Not really sure what category to put this under as it's so multitasking!***

Ok so here's a list of what I use coconut oil for:

• Shaving oil - just rub some onto your legs/underarms while in the shower and shave away. No need to moisturise after.
• Hair mask - can be used on its own or mixed with castor oil for a deep hair mask.
• Hair balm - rub a tiny amount into ends of hair to tame those flyaway bits.
• Cuticle oil.
• Eye makeup remover - I like to remove eye makeup while in the shower (I prefer showers at night). I've heard it can be very comedogenic so have to make sure it's all removed from my face.
• Body scrub - mix together sugar, coconut oil and jojoba oil to make a really basic body scrub. There's plenty of other recipes to be found online, just look around.
• Homemade toothpaste - mix together baking soda, coconut oil and some peppermint essential oil. Again, plenty of recipes online. And yes I do like to have fun making my own homemade beauty products, my inner hippy demands it :)
• Cleaning makeup sponges (like the Beauty Blender). Melt some oil in you hand and let the sponge soak it up. Then squeeze the sponge under hot water and watch as the oil draws out all the gunk. Repeat until sponge is clean.
• Oh and finally, try not to forget that coconut oil is good for cooking with too.

Make sure you buy coconut oil that is ORGANIC, EXTRA VIRGIN, RAW/UNREFINED and COLD PRESSED.
Food grade oils are NOT to be used for cosmetic/beauty purposes!

The brand I use is called Biona (UK based company). I buy a big tub of it from my local health food shop that lasts me for months.

For obvious hygiene reasons, separate out into different containers for different purposes. I once had some go off but the other containers were fine.

on 3/30/2016 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love coconut oil for when I'm feeling lazy or cheap with my beauty routine (which seems like most of the time these days, hmmm). It's easy to buy a big jar -- I use the Living Foods one like in the photo up top -- and split it in half. The jar goes in the fridge for cooking and the rest of it goes into another watertight container for the bathroom. If I'm feeling fancy sometimes I'll whip it up with a mixer so that it's fluffy and smooth; but let's face it, if I felt fancy all that often I'd probably not be using my giant jar of coconut oil as an all-purpose skin and haircare product. ;)

I've used it on and off for years to take off my makeup and as a facial moisturizer if I've got nothing else. I don't find it intensely hydrating for my dry, dehydrated, clog-prone skin, but it doesn't break me out either. I don't notice a difference in how my skin feels after I've used it but it keeps the flakes at bay long enough for me to put on makeup.

On my hair, I VASTLY prefer Vatika coconut oil, but the only place I can find it is at the Indian grocery a few miles away from my house. If I'm in a crunch and don't feel like fighting traffic I'll use the regular pure jarred kind. It's excellent at soothing my dry scalp, but I haven't figured out how to keep it from making my hair greasy when used on the scalp. Pre-poo, post-poo, leave-in, with ACV as a rinse: every method I can think of still leaves a film on my hair, flattening it at the roots and frizzing out the ends. My hair is extremely thick and coarse and unless I'm using it as a dandruff remedy I usually just slap some on the ends of my hair once it's dry and call it a day. It does a nice job at disguising my split ends. I find the smell and texture of the Vatika brand much nicer in hair, but it's not pure coconut oil.

I've used it to shave my legs with in the past, and that's pretty nice. I recently have begun slathering it on the backs of my legs after a shower after hearing a friend rave about how coconut oil cured her KP, but after two weeks I haven't seen any results in that department. It sinks in immediately though, which is great. I generally can only bring myself to use oil on my legs since lotion feels so sticky and gross to me, and coconut oil is a nice, affordable option. Again, it's not the most moisturizing thing I've ever used and it doesn't really make my skin super-soft, but it keeps me from having alligator legs so no complaints here.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I USE CARRINGTON FARMS BRAND,THAT IS THE BEST I USED NUTIVA THIS IS BETTER,I EAT ITBUT I USE IT PLAIN AS A MOISTURIZER,MY SKIN LOOKS YOUNGER,SOFT LIKE BABY SKIN,THE SMELL IS GREAT,USE A SALUX CLOTH TO WASH,PUT THIS ON AFTER YOUR SKIN WILL BE SOFTER THAN EVER,AND HAVE AN AWESOME YOUTHFUL GLOW.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I've read a few comments about Chicken skin. That may be a sign of either gluten allergy or vitamin D deficiency.
Maybe check to see if you have either.
😏
Also I love coconut oil. My skin got very inflamed and damaged from products bought at the drug store. It made my wrinkles worse! But daily coconut oil
Helped clear it. Thumbs up and I'll be buying it ( only organic unrefined and virgin)
again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My HG product!

I start using coconut oil 4 years ago.

I use it on my hair overnight, next morning when I wash it, my hair is really nourished, but not like - oily nourished, more like - no weight down nourished. Also, I don`t get same results with every brand of coconut oil, in Croatia is popular Encian- I did not like that brand at all, also I did not like oil that is sell in DM. I love, I mean love love love - NATURE WAY EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL, I buy this oil on iherb - give insane result. You do not need much, one spoon is enough for long hair. I usually put little, than brush my hair to distribute evenly and than continue to put rest, when using that way, you saving it. Also, I put silk shower cap.

One important note is that I always prior BLEACHING MY ROOTS put coconut oil overnight. I go in salon like that, my hairstylist is amazed by results I get - no damage hair ( dying roots every 30 days), she started to recommend other customers to use it. I used to have flaky scalp and redness from bleach - but no more.

Also, I use coconut oil to remove my make up, as face cream, and recent discovery - put on my legs before shaving them - on wet skin, I was like - OMG - shaver just glides on my skin, and leaves it smooth, I did not have to use lotion after.

If you have not already, you should give it a try!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

My absolute favorite makeup remover and hair mask. I love using this to remove all of the makeup on my face, as well as my eye makeup. I wet my face and then massage the oil into my skin. Nothing melts the foundation, powder, mascara, eyeliner etc off faster. This leaves my face SO soft, doesn't clog my pores, and leaves my eyelashes so conditioned. I remove the residue with a fresh tissue and then cleanse my face as usual. Seriously, THE BEST. I like using this on my hair also, leaving it on my hair for hours at a time and then shampooing/conditioning as normal. Coconut oil has so many uses. I would recommend this to anyone.