Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Love this stuff on my hair and on my lips and on my body but I think it breaks out my face. Still the best thing ever for mosturizing hair and body though!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Didn't agree with my skin, tried using it as a moisturizer at night an left me with fine heats (buttons) on my face. Worked great for my heels tho when they've dried and cracked up. Rub a small amount on there and a pair of socks and say goodbye to dry hard cracked up heels.

To Read all 917 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/31/2016 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't going to write a review because the women here gave such wonderful tips and recipes. I used a lot of them! However, I wanted to join and give me little tip that is for the woman who takes meticulous care of herself and is looking for an extra bump in the beauty/health protocol.

Here it is:

Coconut oil in a 1 oz dropper filled most of the way followed by about 10 drops of tea tree oil. I've never seriously measured but this seems to be good for me. Tea tree oil can burn and injure your skin if used in concentrated form. Apply to your genitals after showing. Seriously, it sounds crazy but both of these have antiseptic qualities as well as moisturizing capabilities. I used this every day for many months and after the first two weeks of consistent use the quality of my skin down there changed.

It was softer, more supple, and seriously even easier to shave because it probably softened the hair as well. I also felt cleaner and even had a more pleasant, fresh scent because of the tea tree oil and the antiseptic qualities that can kill fungus and bacteria. I'm almost embarrassed to share this information but I told all my girlfriends and got rave reviews from those who tried this.

The best part? The clean feeling keeps me confident all day. Confident in my ability to take care of myself and confident to engage in intimate acts with my loved one without feeling like I need to take a shower first. That, my friends, is priceless.

An absolute must. Especially in the summer.
Tips? Get a dropper thats 2 ounces first so you can play with how much tea tree oil to use. Test on the inside of your thigh for allergic reactions.

on 8/4/2016 2:28:00 AM

I live for this stuff! I use very heavy make up for work and this is the only thing that removes it easily without making me break out in a rash. Waterproof mascara, liquid lipstick, you name it, it removes it. It's greasy though so I usually use another cleanser to get rid of the excess.

Also amazing for nails and cuticles. Not sure about the hype on hair, doesn't seem to work for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use Carrington Farms Pure Cold Pressed 100% Organic Extra Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil.

I use it for everything.

- Cooking.

- Oil pulling... it was hard for me to get into this at first. Until I started keeping my coconut oil in the fridge. It's much easier when the oil starts off as a solid. The heat from your body melts it down in your mouth & you're able to swish it around. My teeth (which are very sensitive and don't do well with chemical teeth whiteners) are whiter, cleaner, & healthier overall. Plus the taste of coconut oil isn't nearly as offensive as that of other types of oils you can use, in my opinion.

- Moisturizing, most of the time underneath my eyes but sometimes all over my face before bed if I'm feeling especially dry. It's never broken me out but I've heard some people say it makes them break out, so I'd recommend trying some on a small portion of your face & seeing how your skin reacts to make sure it doesn't clog pores, etc.

- Hair/scalp treatment. It fixes up a flaky scalp wonderfully. When I put coconut oil in my hair I start by massaging it into the scalp, then I run it down through the ends. I allow it to soak in for about 30 minutes & then go about my normal showering/hair washing routine. I find doing this to be so balancing & restorative.

- This stuff is the best makeup remover ever, too. Especially for eye makeup.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am writing my review for Spring Valley Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 12oz, sold for $11 at my local Walmart. I have included a collage of the product cover, visual contents, and expiration date that states "Do not buy, from Walmart, no seal under lid." This product is labeled for internal use, "One tablespoon daily...in place of other oils, including butter...use in cooking and baking..." Exp 03/19 If it's safe internally, it must be fine externally, right?

When I purchased this product, IT HAD A SHRINK WRAPPED SEAL, but had no seal under the lid. I didn't think anything of it because I had never used coconut oil before. I applied it by hand to my roots because I have dandruff. Then I applied it to my ends because my hair is very long and the ends are driest. I did not microwave the product at all.

About 15-20 minutes after application, I started experiencing massive headaches. I'm not prone to headaches, but I thought maybe I was just a little dehydrated because it's summer or maybe I was hungry or tired...The last thing I suspected was external use of an organic product. 40 minutes after application, I couldn't stand to hold my head up any longer with the headache, so I shampooed it out. My nasal passages immediately expanded and the pressure in my head started to subside. The product was causing sinus pressure because of its fumes on my head! I've used some extremely tough bleaches and dyes on my head in the past and they didn't give me the headaches and sinus pressure that this coconut oil did. I've drank coconut milk straight from a coconut, so I'm not allergic to raw coconut.

I didn't think anything about the label saying, "Refrigerate after opening" because I had just opened my product. When I read that, I thought it was probably for texture purposes, like how margerine is. Well, I guess the product had spoiled on the shelf and I had applied a freshly-opened $11 jar of rotten coconut to my head for 40 minutes before I became so sick that I had to wash it out.

I wrote Walmart customer service with my lot number and bar code. They will most likely keep selling their spoiled coconut in stores and shipping it from their website in jars that leak oil all over the place. Ingesting too much coconut causes flu-like symptoms (Dhiarrea, nausea, headaches, fevers...), so the odds are slim that a consumer will blame the product before their own body for adverse effects. This stuff is EVIL! I can't believe I paid $11 for spoiled coconut.

The results on my hair were a lot like if I had applied butter or baby oil to my hair. It took about 4 shampoos to get it all out and I don't see any difference at all. Im more impressed that using Matrix that many times didn't make my scalp flake off in one big chunk.

on 6/7/2016 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

One of the best allrounder products. I use it as a mouthwash for brightening the teeth, hair mask or make-up remover. I never used it as a moisturizer, since I'm very clog prone, but massaging the oil directly on my face in the evening as a cleansing oil and washing it off afterwards never gave me any problems. Whenever I use the oil for my scalp and hair (I leave it in for about 20 minutes, then wash it off), I get so many compliments on how healthy and shiny my hair is. Basically, there are tons of recipes how to mix and match coconut oil for beauty purposes and even if you're a lazy type of a person or generally less a DIY person, who doesn't enjoy mixing stuff together, you can only use the coconut oil by itself, you will love it and its results.

on 6/6/2016 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I use Coconut Oil for just about everything.

Over the last few years I've had problems with my Thyroid which caused my skin to go from combination/oily to dry. Applying small amounts of CO on damp skin and massaging it in at night has been the best thing for it. I always wake up with supple and plump skin. All the time. I also make sure to massage this into my lashes when I apply it and have noticed they have gotten longer and I don't lose as many these days.

My hair is natural, very thick, coarse and curly. I always use CO over my leave in conditioner and it allows my hair to retain moisture longer than just using a leave in alone.

This is also the only body moisturizer I use. I apply it straight after a shower to damp skin. I only use this at night because it can take awhile for it to absorb and I don't have the time in the morning to wait for it. But no other lotion or body butter has made me this soft and supple.

***Not really sure what category to put this under as it's so multitasking!***

Ok so here's a list of what I use coconut oil for:

• Shaving oil - just rub some onto your legs/underarms while in the shower and shave away. No need to moisturise after.
• Hair mask - can be used on its own or mixed with castor oil for a deep hair mask.
• Hair balm - rub a tiny amount into ends of hair to tame those flyaway bits.
• Cuticle oil.
• Eye makeup remover - I like to remove eye makeup while in the shower (I prefer showers at night). I've heard it can be very comedogenic so have to make sure it's all removed from my face.
• Body scrub - mix together sugar, coconut oil and jojoba oil to make a really basic body scrub. There's plenty of other recipes to be found online, just look around.
• Homemade toothpaste - mix together baking soda, coconut oil and some peppermint essential oil. Again, plenty of recipes online. And yes I do like to have fun making my own homemade beauty products, my inner hippy demands it :)
• Cleaning makeup sponges (like the Beauty Blender). Melt some oil in you hand and let the sponge soak it up. Then squeeze the sponge under hot water and watch as the oil draws out all the gunk. Repeat until sponge is clean.
• Oh and finally, try not to forget that coconut oil is good for cooking with too.

Make sure you buy coconut oil that is ORGANIC, EXTRA VIRGIN, RAW/UNREFINED and COLD PRESSED.
Food grade oils are NOT to be used for cosmetic/beauty purposes!

The brand I use is called Biona (UK based company). I buy a big tub of it from my local health food shop that lasts me for months.

For obvious hygiene reasons, separate out into different containers for different purposes. I once had some go off but the other containers were fine.

on 3/30/2016 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love coconut oil for when I'm feeling lazy or cheap with my beauty routine (which seems like most of the time these days, hmmm). It's easy to buy a big jar -- I use the Living Foods one like in the photo up top -- and split it in half. The jar goes in the fridge for cooking and the rest of it goes into another watertight container for the bathroom. If I'm feeling fancy sometimes I'll whip it up with a mixer so that it's fluffy and smooth; but let's face it, if I felt fancy all that often I'd probably not be using my giant jar of coconut oil as an all-purpose skin and haircare product. ;)

I've used it on and off for years to take off my makeup and as a facial moisturizer if I've got nothing else. I don't find it intensely hydrating for my dry, dehydrated, clog-prone skin, but it doesn't break me out either. I don't notice a difference in how my skin feels after I've used it but it keeps the flakes at bay long enough for me to put on makeup.

On my hair, I VASTLY prefer Vatika coconut oil, but the only place I can find it is at the Indian grocery a few miles away from my house. If I'm in a crunch and don't feel like fighting traffic I'll use the regular pure jarred kind. It's excellent at soothing my dry scalp, but I haven't figured out how to keep it from making my hair greasy when used on the scalp. Pre-poo, post-poo, leave-in, with ACV as a rinse: every method I can think of still leaves a film on my hair, flattening it at the roots and frizzing out the ends. My hair is extremely thick and coarse and unless I'm using it as a dandruff remedy I usually just slap some on the ends of my hair once it's dry and call it a day. It does a nice job at disguising my split ends. I find the smell and texture of the Vatika brand much nicer in hair, but it's not pure coconut oil.

I've used it to shave my legs with in the past, and that's pretty nice. I recently have begun slathering it on the backs of my legs after a shower after hearing a friend rave about how coconut oil cured her KP, but after two weeks I haven't seen any results in that department. It sinks in immediately though, which is great. I generally can only bring myself to use oil on my legs since lotion feels so sticky and gross to me, and coconut oil is a nice, affordable option. Again, it's not the most moisturizing thing I've ever used and it doesn't really make my skin super-soft, but it keeps me from having alligator legs so no complaints here.