Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 11/29/2016 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using this for my hair as a leave-on product for more than 10 years now. I apply this on damp hair, and that tames my curly hair beautifully.

Also great as a makeup remover, easily removes waterproof mascara and liquid eyeliner.

Great all-around product! HG <3

on 10/21/2016 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Coconut oil has been a game changer for my hair. Brief background - my hair is very curly, very fine but lots of hair, long, dry and damaged from bleach/dye. I use coconut oil for 'sealing' my hair after using my hair jelly (a lighter version of hair gel...). It locks the moisture in and leaves my hair really soft and smooth. I've used it in the past as a deep treatment but prefer using it with my current method. I'm fairly generous with how much I apply as I have a lot of hair and it's curly. I apply when my hair is about 80% damp on top of my hair jelly and leave to air-dry. Never leaves my hair feeling weighed down and it's always left really shiny. As mentioned I've used a lot of bleach and dye over the last couple of years, and I feel like coconut oil has stopped it from falling out! Despite how much I mess with my hair it's in pretty good condition and I put it mainly down to this and avoiding SLS, silicones etc...

Coconut also works well as a body moisturizer but I always avoid my chest/neck/face as it breaks me out there. But for arms, legs and everywhere else it's great. Gets rid of KP (the funny lump bumps you get on the top of your arms), and is nice after shaving also.

To Read all 919 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have damaged hair from frequent coloring and perming. This stuff makes my hair look and feel decent. Plus, I love the smell of coconuts! Using this oil as a pre poo treatment left my hair stringy, but if I apply it after shampooing, it makes my hair silky and shiny. Now I can just air dry my hair and it'll look okay.

Love this stuff on my hair and on my lips and on my body but I think it breaks out my face. Still the best thing ever for mosturizing hair and body though!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Didn't agree with my skin, tried using it as a moisturizer at night an left me with fine heats (buttons) on my face. Worked great for my heels tho when they've dried and cracked up. Rub a small amount on there and a pair of socks and say goodbye to dry hard cracked up heels.

on 8/31/2016 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't going to write a review because the women here gave such wonderful tips and recipes. I used a lot of them! However, I wanted to join and give me little tip that is for the woman who takes meticulous care of herself and is looking for an extra bump in the beauty/health protocol.

Here it is:

Coconut oil in a 1 oz dropper filled most of the way followed by about 10 drops of tea tree oil. I've never seriously measured but this seems to be good for me. Tea tree oil can burn and injure your skin if used in concentrated form. Apply to your genitals after showing. Seriously, it sounds crazy but both of these have antiseptic qualities as well as moisturizing capabilities. I used this every day for many months and after the first two weeks of consistent use the quality of my skin down there changed.

It was softer, more supple, and seriously even easier to shave because it probably softened the hair as well. I also felt cleaner and even had a more pleasant, fresh scent because of the tea tree oil and the antiseptic qualities that can kill fungus and bacteria. I'm almost embarrassed to share this information but I told all my girlfriends and got rave reviews from those who tried this.

The best part? The clean feeling keeps me confident all day. Confident in my ability to take care of myself and confident to engage in intimate acts with my loved one without feeling like I need to take a shower first. That, my friends, is priceless.

An absolute must. Especially in the summer.
Tips? Get a dropper thats 2 ounces first so you can play with how much tea tree oil to use. Test on the inside of your thigh for allergic reactions.

on 8/4/2016 2:28:00 AM

I live for this stuff! I use very heavy make up for work and this is the only thing that removes it easily without making me break out in a rash. Waterproof mascara, liquid lipstick, you name it, it removes it. It's greasy though so I usually use another cleanser to get rid of the excess.

Also amazing for nails and cuticles. Not sure about the hype on hair, doesn't seem to work for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use Carrington Farms Pure Cold Pressed 100% Organic Extra Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil.

I use it for everything.

- Cooking.

- Oil pulling... it was hard for me to get into this at first. Until I started keeping my coconut oil in the fridge. It's much easier when the oil starts off as a solid. The heat from your body melts it down in your mouth & you're able to swish it around. My teeth (which are very sensitive and don't do well with chemical teeth whiteners) are whiter, cleaner, & healthier overall. Plus the taste of coconut oil isn't nearly as offensive as that of other types of oils you can use, in my opinion.

- Moisturizing, most of the time underneath my eyes but sometimes all over my face before bed if I'm feeling especially dry. It's never broken me out but I've heard some people say it makes them break out, so I'd recommend trying some on a small portion of your face & seeing how your skin reacts to make sure it doesn't clog pores, etc.

- Hair/scalp treatment. It fixes up a flaky scalp wonderfully. When I put coconut oil in my hair I start by massaging it into the scalp, then I run it down through the ends. I allow it to soak in for about 30 minutes & then go about my normal showering/hair washing routine. I find doing this to be so balancing & restorative.

- This stuff is the best makeup remover ever, too. Especially for eye makeup.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am writing my review for Spring Valley Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 12oz, sold for $11 at my local Walmart. I have included a collage of the product cover, visual contents, and expiration date that states "Do not buy, from Walmart, no seal under lid." This product is labeled for internal use, "One tablespoon daily...in place of other oils, including butter...use in cooking and baking..." Exp 03/19 If it's safe internally, it must be fine externally, right?

When I purchased this product, IT HAD A SHRINK WRAPPED SEAL, but had no seal under the lid. I didn't think anything of it because I had never used coconut oil before. I applied it by hand to my roots because I have dandruff. Then I applied it to my ends because my hair is very long and the ends are driest. I did not microwave the product at all.

About 15-20 minutes after application, I started experiencing massive headaches. I'm not prone to headaches, but I thought maybe I was just a little dehydrated because it's summer or maybe I was hungry or tired...The last thing I suspected was external use of an organic product. 40 minutes after application, I couldn't stand to hold my head up any longer with the headache, so I shampooed it out. My nasal passages immediately expanded and the pressure in my head started to subside. The product was causing sinus pressure because of its fumes on my head! I've used some extremely tough bleaches and dyes on my head in the past and they didn't give me the headaches and sinus pressure that this coconut oil did. I've drank coconut milk straight from a coconut, so I'm not allergic to raw coconut.

I didn't think anything about the label saying, "Refrigerate after opening" because I had just opened my product. When I read that, I thought it was probably for texture purposes, like how margerine is. Well, I guess the product had spoiled on the shelf and I had applied a freshly-opened $11 jar of rotten coconut to my head for 40 minutes before I became so sick that I had to wash it out.

I wrote Walmart customer service with my lot number and bar code. They will most likely keep selling their spoiled coconut in stores and shipping it from their website in jars that leak oil all over the place. Ingesting too much coconut causes flu-like symptoms (Dhiarrea, nausea, headaches, fevers...), so the odds are slim that a consumer will blame the product before their own body for adverse effects. This stuff is EVIL! I can't believe I paid $11 for spoiled coconut.

The results on my hair were a lot like if I had applied butter or baby oil to my hair. It took about 4 shampoos to get it all out and I don't see any difference at all. Im more impressed that using Matrix that many times didn't make my scalp flake off in one big chunk.

on 6/7/2016 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

One of the best allrounder products. I use it as a mouthwash for brightening the teeth, hair mask or make-up remover. I never used it as a moisturizer, since I'm very clog prone, but massaging the oil directly on my face in the evening as a cleansing oil and washing it off afterwards never gave me any problems. Whenever I use the oil for my scalp and hair (I leave it in for about 20 minutes, then wash it off), I get so many compliments on how healthy and shiny my hair is. Basically, there are tons of recipes how to mix and match coconut oil for beauty purposes and even if you're a lazy type of a person or generally less a DIY person, who doesn't enjoy mixing stuff together, you can only use the coconut oil by itself, you will love it and its results.