Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Love this , I do saturate my hair with this overnight, wash it next day and it makes a difference really

I have used this as a facial and body moisturizer and I like it. Very light and smells good. My only problem is that I find that coconut oil doesn't absorb well into my skin and so I am left feeling a bit greasy.

on 2/14/2017 3:28:00 PM

I started using this before I use my lush cleanser, and it makes a HUGE difference! My skin is much clearer because I'm actually taking off my makeup before using a scrub. I've used non-organic oil makeup removers, and they work a little better at taking everything off, but I love that this is natural and more moisturizing than other oils I have tried.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Use it all the time for a variety of things. Love it.

on 7/11/2017 12:36:00 PM

I buy my coconut oil from Costco. you get a lot for what you are paying for. I use coconut oil for everything like hair masks, on legs after shaving (couple hours after), an under eye and eyelash oil, and so on. I do not recommend putting pure coconut oil on your face, in small amounts it may be okay but it is known for breaking people out.

I always struggled with CO in the shower. Do I melt it in the shower? Melt it prior showering? Greasy jar? Messy hands? etc. I thought there must be a better way and eureka the idea came to me in the shower of all places.

I brought two plastic silicone pop ice cube trays from Kmart at $1.50. Placed the jar in hot water, so all the CO melts but if it's hot enough it will melt on its own. Place the ice cube trays on a metal baking sheet. Carefully pour the oil into the ice cube trays. Place in a freeze or fridge for an hour. After an hour pop the ice cubes out and store in the jar in the fridge. I use two CO ice cubes on my skin after showering. You can even portion CO this way for cooking.

on 11/29/2016 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using this for my hair as a leave-on product for more than 10 years now. I apply this on damp hair, and that tames my curly hair beautifully.

Also great as a makeup remover, easily removes waterproof mascara and liquid eyeliner.

Great all-around product! HG <3

on 10/21/2016 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Coconut oil has been a game changer for my hair. Brief background - my hair is very curly, very fine but lots of hair, long, dry and damaged from bleach/dye. I use coconut oil for 'sealing' my hair after using my hair jelly (a lighter version of hair gel...). It locks the moisture in and leaves my hair really soft and smooth. I've used it in the past as a deep treatment but prefer using it with my current method. I'm fairly generous with how much I apply as I have a lot of hair and it's curly. I apply when my hair is about 80% damp on top of my hair jelly and leave to air-dry. Never leaves my hair feeling weighed down and it's always left really shiny. As mentioned I've used a lot of bleach and dye over the last couple of years, and I feel like coconut oil has stopped it from falling out! Despite how much I mess with my hair it's in pretty good condition and I put it mainly down to this and avoiding SLS, silicones etc...

Coconut also works well as a body moisturizer but I always avoid my chest/neck/face as it breaks me out there. But for arms, legs and everywhere else it's great. Gets rid of KP (the funny lump bumps you get on the top of your arms), and is nice after shaving also.

on 1/31/2017 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Clogged pores or acne marks?
Use coconut oil to remove your makeup!!! That's what i did. My clogged pores were from my past poor makeup removal ways and it never really stopped because I never found the right product to cleanse my makeup away.

I went with OCM (with the castor oil, sunflower oil etc) and it was good for awhile, then it started making my face breakout because it got too dry. Hence i switched to some drugstore's waterbased remover. Same thing, it did look like it cleaned everything on the cotton pads but my face tells me otherwise.

I have tried quite a few number of facial oils - rosehip, sunflower, hemp, tamanu, castor. To be honest i was SUPER skeptical and paranoid about using Extra virgin coconut oil, because it has a comedogenic rating of 4! Holy crap.
However, on the first week of using that just as my makeup remover, my skin started seeing light.

Throw at me any lighting, any place, i will confidently take a selfie there. Why? Because those disgusting bumps are finally gone!!!!!! God bless. My skin is starting to clear up and the hyperpigmentation are slowly fading. Patience is key (:

Here's how I do it pretty much everyday (I use make up like 5-6days a week):
- Rub small amt of EXTRA VIRGIN coconut oil on face full of makeup for a good few minutes (I usually rub 3-5 minutes). Rub in circle motions
- Grab a clean face towel and soak in warm/slightly hot water to warm up the towel first. Then dip in again and squeeze excess. Put towel on face to open pores first. Then dip in water again, squeeze excess then start wiping the oil away gentle. DONT rub.
- Once done, cleanse with another face soap (I do this because Im scared of having coconut oil on my face after showering) and Im using a soap that has only natural ingredients such as tamanu oil, coconut oil etc. No other stuff. then rinse with cold water to close pores.

- I tone my face with rose water and am currently using Evian's facial mist to moisturize my face every now and then.

I realised my skin don't really do well if i moisturize with oils or any other creams/serums with tons of ingredients. And since coconut oil kinda moisturized my skin already so yeah, i can skip the moisturizer part.

Fyi my skin is on the dry/combi side. And I avoid milk/junk food too, cause i break out if i consume stuff with them (e.g. mccafe, coffeebean, icecream etc).
And now my skin is clear. Im taking Vitamin A, B&C, D, E and K supplements daily as well, as these vitamins will boost your body's repair systems = repair skin! Especially D, E and K!!

So far so good, even my mum's impressed with how improved my skin is now.
I use calamine lotion to spot treat pimples as well!

I use Nutiva's brand of coconut oil, bought it on iherb. You can use code FWN818 for $5 off!

on 1/31/2017 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I am writing a review for extra virgin coconut oil in general because I have tried multiple brands. I have always had clear, though oily, skin. I wanted to be "all natural" and ditch my store bought skin care routine for one holy grail product, and of course, I picked coconut oil, what else right? It works okay in my hair. I honestly don't see that much of a difference in dryness or shine or anything. so then i started oil cleansing with it. I broke out in the most horrific cystic acne I've ever seen. It took me 2 months to get my skin clear again. I am so paranoid of that reaction again that I won't use any products containing coconut oil, it's not worth my skin.

Some oils that do work well for me are grapeseed, sunflower, safflower, castor, and sweet almond. If you are thinking about adding oils into your routine or switching completely please do some research. I have learned that my skin can tolerate and actually enjoy oils that are HIGH in linoleic acids, and very LOW in oleic acids. Coconut oil is very high in oleic acid.

As sensitive as I was to straight up coconut oil, there are many coconut derivatives that my skin loves. For example Bare Minerals complexion rescue. One of the first ingredients is coconut alkanes. I wore this tinted moisturizer for months with no adverse reactions.

Popular Lotions / Creams