Nailtiques Formula 2 PLUS Nail Protein

Filtered by age: 36-43
Nailtiques Formula 2 PLUS Nail Protein
Formula 2 PLUS Nail ProteinFormula 2 PLUS Nail ProteinFormula 2 PLUS Nail ProteinFormula 2 PLUS Nail ProteinFormula 2 PLUS Nail Protein

4.3

Ethyl Acetate , Butyl Acetate , Nitrocellulose , Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin , Isopropyl Alcohol , Acrylates Copolymer , Epoxidized Soybean Oil , Wheat Amino Acids , Calcium Pantothenate , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Gelatin , Benzophenone-1 , Etocrylene , Violet 2 (CI 60725) , Dimethicone

on 4/7/2015 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My index finger on my right hand has always had a tendency to peel, despite the fact that I take biotin every day. But over a month ago I had 3 nails peeling on my right hand...and when they grew out the littlest bit, the top of the nail would just peel off again before the nail even grew beyond the nail bed! I was getting soooo frustrated!

I came to this site looking for something that might help, and came across this product. I ordered it from Amazon for $9 after shipping, which is about the same price as an OPI polish. I've used it for 2 weeks, and I LOVE it!!!! It may not be a miracle product (my nails don't seem to be growing any faster) but it has certainly allowed my nails the strength to grow without breaking! The directions say that if you feel a burning you should stop using it or use it less often, but I don't feel any sensation at all. It looks and feels just like a strong base coat. (I've been putting the polish on every night before bed, layering it on top of the layer(s) from the night before...then took it off after a week and started again....and I took it off today to start another week.)

The top 3 pictures are my nails before the first use (you can see they are colored yellow from a strong brown polish I had used.) The bottom 2 pictures are from 2 weeks later (today.) If you look closely, you can see the peeling on my index and middle fingers of my right hand. Again, not a miracle nail grower...but imo a miracle nail strengthener!

Edit: May 1...I've been putting this product on my nails just about every day, and not taking it off unless it started peeling (which was about every week) then starting over. No nail-breaks all month until two days ago when I peeled off the polish, but decided not to re-polish until I went to bed...only to discover that one of my nails had broken in between times! It doesn't seem that this polish actually strengthens YOUR nails per se, but it definitely strengthens them while the polish is on them (which is still great imo!) In fact, I hit my pinkie nail on a printer at work the other day, and it bent backward 2mm into the nail bed and still didn't break! (But I had to cut it way down because my nail bed hurt every time my nail hit something.) My index fingernail was very long until yesterday when I hit it on the side of something...and it broke a piece off sideways so I just had to file the nail to be skinnier...but the rest of the nail was still very strong, and I didn't even have to re-polish it. I don't know about using this product with colored nail polish because I've just been using it alone every day, but I actually feel even sorrier for my previous self whose nails were always breaking, because now they're so easy to keep up! I was right to be so frustrated before :)

Edit: June 19. So I've decided this stuff actually DOES strengthen your nails when you've used it long enough because my nails are VERY strong without anything on them! But it took 2 months or so. Now I can put a layer of this on, put the polish on that I want, and put another layer of the this stuff over it as a top coat. (It really does help to let the color dry a minute or two, then dip your hand in ice cold water to dry the color completely...otherwise my polish was too pliable and would literally "move and tear" an hour or two later because of not drying all the way through.) Here are some quick pics I took at around the 2 month mark, just to show the nail growth in that time period.

Update: January 2016. I still LOVE this stuff!!!! Although I was going through it rather quickly since I use it as a base and top coat, even on my toes. So I finally took a chance on the cheaper Formula 2 version (not the plus) about 3 weeks ago. It's not as "gooey"...a little thinner...but it seems to work just as well at keeping my nails strong and keeping my polish looking nice. But honestly, my nails are now stronger with nothing on them at all so the real proof will be in a few months when the nails that have been treated with the plus version have grown out. I'll update again in a few months, but for now if your nails are doing well on the plus version, I do recommend trying the non-plus for less money.

I have noticed, as a side note, that when my nails DO break (more than a chip off the end), they tend to break down in my nail bed. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but ouch! It's only happened maybe 3 times and it might be my fault (trying to open a bathroom drawer from the side so it hit my thumb nail instead of using the drawer knob) but they do at least grow out faster now. And it's actually very difficult to cut my thumb nails now with a nail clipper because they're so thick and strong. YEAH!!!!!

For years I wore acrylic overlays on my nails because they were so weak. Of course, when I removed it my nails were wrecked. I started using Nailtiques 2+ to recover from the acrylic and my nails actually started to strengthen and grow - shocker! I have continued to use it off and on ever since and it's a holy grail product for me. According to the Nailtiques system, I should really step down to Formula 2 or 1, but as long as 2+ works, I'm going to stick with it.

The only downside is that the formula does dry out rather quickly - usually before half the bottle is gone. I researched and purchased Nailtiques Formula Fix which is their thinner to return it to a usable state so I can use the whole bottle. Regular polish thinner works also, but their Formula Fix is protein based so it doesn't dilute the protein levels so it's a much better solution and worth the investment in the long run.

on 1/6/2013 2:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

After going through about 5 bottles of Nailtiques Formula 2 over a couple years using on and off, I have finally surrendered to the fact that it makes my nails worse! I have thin, bendy nails that peel a lot in cold weather. I kept wanting it to do its trick, but my nails became even MORE brittle and soft! I'd put it on religiously every day for a week and it would PEEL off so fast! I'd remove it, then start again, and WOW! 5 bottles later I finally gave up!!!
Also, the polish gets thick very quickly, and the top separates from the brush part - on EVERY bottle I bought!
Every time I took a break from it, my nails would get better! Will keep looking for a good nail strengthener!

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I've only been using this for one week plus and seem to work. My nails are stronger and harder. I used to have soft, peeling nails that crack before they grow out from the nail bed. This is the only nail treatment that does that!! Hope it'll keep working for me.

on 5/31/2012 10:04:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

This nail protein is a miracle worker. I have soft nails prone to breakage and the Nailtiques improves the strength of my nails with only one coat. The only downside is that it tends to peel pretty easily, which isn't a huge deal if you put a fresh coat on every day. Even when I get super lazy and don't add additional coats every day, my nails still improve. I like the way it makes my nails look, too. Not too glossy, but not matte. I've been using this stuff for years and have tried similar, less expensive products that are nowhere near as effective, so I now stay loyal to Nailtiques. Some drugstores carry a 2-pack of Formula 2 Plus, so I pick this up when I see it.

on 5/2/2012 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Finally, something that actually works.

My nails constantly peel and break, despite taking the right vitamins, using gloves to wash dishes, etc. Usually, I get at least one nail that breaks every few days, even using some super expensive pink gel stuff I got from Sephora that everybody seems to swear by.

I started using this as both a base and top coat (sometimes applying the Nails, Inc. Kensington top coat on top of that in case I'm in a hurry to get out the door) and it really, really, really works. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't had a single nail break on me. My nails are getting long without breaking for the first time in ages.

I only wish this came in a full sized bottle...

on 3/6/2009 3:06:00 PM

After 40 some-odd years, I finally have nails that I must actually trim on occasion. My nails have ALWAYS been thin, bendy, and peely (thats a word, right?). It wasn't worth me trying to paint my nails since the second water hit them, my nails would bend and the polish would peel off. Now, polish lasts forever and I give the BEST back scratches!! I always used this with polish, even though the directions said not to, so I had no issues with peeling and this did not seem to diminish its effectiveness.

After I finished the bottle of 2Plus, I "graduated" to the Formula I Maintenance. I was worried that this would not sufficient, but they continue to be exceptionally hard, not brittle. They are so impressive now that when I hit my nail against something, I am not worried if I broke the nail, but if my nail broke whatever it was I hit. Worth every... single.... shiney.....penny!

on 6/15/2008 6:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

No doubt, this did help my nails get longer... but it peels horribly. I typically do my nails at night, before bed, and by the time I'm on the train, this stuff is peeling off. I tried coating over it with OPI polish and topcoat, and it still comes right off. Moving on to Nail Tek by recommendation of a friendly manicurist. This is just too expensive for what it is.

on 3/20/2008 12:14:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Miracle in a tiny bottle. I knocked it down for the price, which is approx $10 USD for a 1/4 oz/7.4 ml bottle. That's quite a bit of money, but it lasts much longer than I expected. I definitely don't feel that all expensive products are a good value and worth the money, but this one is.

Before I used this product, my nails were peeling and breaking often. I'd just stopped biting my nails after years and years, so they were in bad shape. I tried lots of treatments, but the peeling and breaking persisted. Since using this product, both have stopped. I've had only one break and it was the one day I took a "break" and had no polish on. They day before, I reached into a box to pull something out and thought had a hard time extracting it. I thought, "Oh no, I'm going to break a nail. That wasn't very smart!" But I pulled my hand out with all my nails intact. The next day I removed the polish and dug into the same box with another hand. I broke a nail - the only time since I started using the product and it was the one day I wasn't wearing it.

The instructions say to put on a new coat every day, so after about 3 weeks, I bought a second bottle and took one to the office to put on when I forget. The information with the bottle says to expect the protein to turn the formula goopy and advises cleaning the bottle rim with special formula thinner after each use. I'm way too lazy and forgetful for that and haven't done it once. I am careful about not dripping the formula on the rim and closing the bottle tightly. After 2 months, my first bottle isn't goopy and there's about half left.

If I only use one coat, it WILL peel. I always make sure to put on a new coat every day and just add a coat a day for a week, then remove it and start over. If the polish starts to peel, I just add the new coat right over the old one. (Another reason having one bottle at home and one at the office has helped.) As long as I do that, peeling isn't much of an issue.

If tomorrow morning I lost both bottles, I would be at the store buying two new ones tomorrow evening. That's how much I love it.

Popular Treatments