Garnier Belle Color Permanent Haircolor

1.7

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

This is for mahogany brown #45. I had high hopes for this colour as I've used the dark brown before and had great results. My mom uses the blonde shades often and her hair always turns out great with no yellow or brassiness. To be fair my hair was coloured a medium golden brown (different brand) previously but I hated the gold tones so I wanted to add a little red back in. I applied this easily enough. The colour in the bottle looked greige at first and then turned to dark purple. On my head it looked pylon orange at the scalp but darkened up everywhere else. I left it on a little longer as I have resistant white hairs. I found it to rinse out easily (the key here is to add water and lather lather lather before you rinse). The conditioner sucks. I used it but had to use a richer one on my ends because my hair felt pretty straw like. Once I blowdried it to see the colour I wasn't impressed. Not much red to be had folks. There is a slight tinge but I wanted something a little more darker and intense. I knew I should have went with the Natural Instincts Cherry Creme. My hair feels like crap too. Yuck. It's been over a week and my hair isn't feeling any better. I think I'm going to do a vitamin C/shampoo treatment to lift this colour up a bit and go back to Natural Instincts, which I always like. No idea why I ever look at any other colour. Also, the bottom couple inches of my hair did not take the reddish tone at all and is still gold. Booooo!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Not nearly enough conditioner ... the result was that dying my hair darker (i.e. no lifting agents) actually fried my hair! Bullcrap.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was in Rexall and saw that this was on sale for $5 CA so I got two in a mahogany brown. My hair is naturally dark and I didn't expect much but I thought I'd give it a shot for being on sale. I'm aiming for a lighter, summery hair style.

My hair is quite thick, so two boxes did the trick. I waited the allotted time and took a shower.

All this did was lighten my roots and I look pretty silly (I think so at least). NEVER buying this product again, no matter how much it's on sale for.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I choose "light golden blonde" and used it on virgin black hair. It resulted in an orange-brown colour on finer hairs and barely left an impression on coarser hairs. I won't fault the dye for that but rather my varied hair texture. I'm mainly docking off points for the smell and longevity of colour. The ammonia smell was very strong and lingered on for about a week. The colour faded notably by the second week. At $5CAD a box, it was not a huge loss, but will not repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This stuff is always on sale. I saw it on sale for $3 once. I know why. This color is almost too gentle to be called a permanent. Garnier really effed up on this one. The conditioner is only in a packet?! The conditioner is actually pretty nice but you can only use it once (I feel bad for long thick-haired people cuz it might not be enough.) Shades are kind of fake-looking especially the ash brown and dark red shades, even though they say it's natural. Their golden blonde shades turn out looking yellow and their ash blondes turn out grayish green. This stuff is pretty blah. Boring. Nothing special. Not even decent enough to earn 3 lippies.

on 1/19/2009 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was tired of highlights and wanted to cover them up so I bought this in light golden brown. The smell was about as bad as any other brand, but the conditioner smelled yummy (peach/fruit). Anyway the colour itself was okay but I found this brand very blah and just meh. It often goes on sale quite cheap at SDM one or two day sales (got this for $4.99) but not worth it (no shine, just blah, boring looking colour). I ended up using spiced tea (a pretty auburn colour) from Natural instincts to cover it up and give it some oomph.