REVLON Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/8/2017 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had high hopes for this color since it has so many good reviews but on my hair it didn't work, the mix in the bowl was purple, that was the first red flag, on my roots it barely made a dent and gave me the dreaded purple-burgundy red color, on my length it came out red-copper-orangy weird color with primary red highlights, very fake looking, all I can think when I see is "clown wig", very fake looking, texture is soft and shiny but on me this color is horrible.

on 6/8/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been dying my hair red for the past 2 years, everything from burgundy to ginger. I was using L'Oreal Excellence, then Preference, then Feria a few times, then Garnier. I couldn't find my usual Garnier shade at Walgreens so picked this up. I'm surprisingly impressed with this dye, especially for the price. Since it's ammonia free, the smell of the dye isn't too offensive. Not too impressed with the conditioner, but for the price I can overlook that. It turned out almost exactly like on the box on my naturally light brown hair. It's a true medium warm auburn which complements my skin tone really nicely. I've had bad experiences with cooler toned reds that washed me out. If I don't feel like experimenting with another color, I'll definitely repurchase.

on 5/6/2014 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This $3.00 dollar box of hair color makes my naturally light brown hair the perfect medium red shade. I'd gone completely natural for a while and was worried about coloring it myself, but it came out perfect. It's a real shade of red: not too bright or with any purple undertones. It didn't leave my hair dry or damaged either. And everyone thinks it's my natural color! I'll definately be sticking with this product.

on 7/4/2012 2:28:00 PM

I dyed my hair this color coming from an already natural auburn that was just a bit lighter because I just wanted a minor change. It has come out looking really fake though and now I really miss my natural hair color. Maybe this color works great for other people with a different hair color, but in my case it was a total fail. Guess that was a mistake :(

on 12/18/2011 9:57:00 PM

I spent many hundreds of dollars to keep my hair red.... after trying this out I am hooked. My hair doesn't like to stay red so I color once a month. Its $3.00 so its not a big deal. This is my HG hair color. I just bought tressa watercolors color depositing shampoo in crimson splash so hopefully that can make this last. Either way I will always come back to this dye. The conditioner it comes with is amazing it makes my hair feel wonderful.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Revlon Colorsilk was my fourth try at box-dyed red. Red is the only color I've ever dyed my hair; I'm naturally a dirty blonde with reddish undertones. I must say I was more than a little scared to try a hair dye that costs less than $3--I bought two boxes for my mid-back-length hair, which I normally have to do--but I was pleasantly surprised.

This color is just about perfect.

I can't tell you how many people were in disbelief when I told them this wasn't my natural hair color. I was asked, "Which one of your parents was a redhead?" and even told, "You must be Irish." Not kidding. It's a perfectly balanced, natural-looking shade of red. Believe it or not, I dyed it over two months ago and it is STILL going strong, if a bit faded (although my hair seems to love red dye and clings to it easily). As long as you don't wash your hair often (I personally opt for twice a week) and use a color-safe shampoo, this will LAST like you won't believe.I'm dyeing it again tonight to cover the roots, although I've chosen a different brand simply because I want a darker auburn for Fall. I know I'll be coming back to Colorsilk for the Spring. This shade is a winner: beautiful, natural, and an unbelievably good deal.

on 9/13/2011 11:05:00 AM

I was really skeptical of using a box dye for red hair as it seems like red and blonde are the two riskiest colors when it comes to self-dyeing (more of a chance that it'll look fake, etc.) I had previously had my hair colored auburn in a salon, so I was just looking to touch up my roots and brighten it up as it had faded quite a bit. Despite my fears of having orange- or purple-hued hair, I bought this *solely* based on Makeupalley reviews and prayed for the best. It came out wonderfully. This is actually the color that I wanted it to be when i got it done in the salon, but it didn't come out quite this bright before. On me, it is not quite as bright as the color on the box, but it's still definitely a vibrant reddish auburn and it looks extremely realistic, even in natural light. I applied this for 20 minutes on the roots (my hair is naturally a dirty blonde) and an extra 7 on the length of my hair, and the color came out very uniformly throughout. I have self-colored my hair before using Natural Instincts (not red), and I feel like this formula is slightly dryer than that one, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it did make it slightly more difficult to distribute through my bra strap-length hair. This cost $3.34 at my Target... a complete steal. I will absolutely be repurchasing.

on 6/11/2011 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After reading a lot of reviews on hair color, I decided to give this one a try. My reason for trying this one were the color results mentioned in several reviews. I hate nothing more than so-called auburns that turn burgundy or, even worse, purple. My color turned out very even and natural, but lighter than anticipated, lighter than pictured on the box. I have naturally light ash brown hair and expected a darker result.

What I liked:
My hair did turn a lovely auburn, in the orangy-copper direction, and not the dreaded burgundy. We will see how well this is going to last. The color gel washed out easy and fast.

What I did not like:
Is has a runny texture, once the color is mixed. The bottle is white plastic, so you cannot see how much you have left. With most colors, I am good with one bottle, and with this color it took two (but no big deal for the price). The color did not smell much, but the conditioner has a very chemical smell. Even though, my hair is dry now, it still smells very strong. My hair felt coarse and rough after washing out the color gel, but feels ok for now, after the conditioner.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. I may be going back to Perfect 10.

UPDATE: After washing my hair several times now, it still feels pretty good. The color lightened up a little more, so it looks more like Light Auburn, instead of Medium Auburn. However, I have had the same experience with other brands before. I may change my mind after all and buy this color again. Maybe I will go to Dark Auburn later in the year. One lippie up for not frying my hair after all.

on 12/12/2010 1:40:00 PM

I was looking for a medium to dark auburn as I have been coloring my hair for years. There are a lot of reds that turn purple or pink or just plain ugly. this product is not one of those. The color came out almost identical to the box... Maybe a little more ruby than the almost orange tint of the box but in a pretty way. The gloves were on the cheap side and the bottle was also a little cheap. It was not see
Through and you had to cut the tip. Neither of these affected the function of the product. There was the normal chemical smell while using the color but somehow when you put the conditioner on it magically got ridmofmit. It smelled pretty good. Even my fiancÚ thought so and he hates the smell of hair color. I can't believe I waited so long to try this out just because it was the cheapest product in the store. I even got amcomplimentnfrom a stranger on day one outside a gas station which means it passes the sunlight test at looking natural. Hurray three dollar hair color!

I tried Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn and it's TERRIFIC. The colour looks natural and it covers gray well. It leaves my hair just as nice and conditioned as L'Oreal does but costs WAY less. At $2.97 at Walmart, it's a steal.
My hair grows fast so I have to touch-up often, every 3 weeks or so. That could be why I don't really notice any fadeout of colour.
The only reason that I stated that I won't buy this product again is because I've gone to a lighter red colour of Revlon Colorsilk now. Same great product but light auburn.

Popular Hair Color Products