Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

I used this once, was really disappointed, forgot about it, and used it again a year later and was really disappointed again. The color on the box is just about my ideal coppery auburn, but my results came out nothing like it. It looked very desaturated, with dull yellowish/orangeish brassy tones, nothing like the rich copper/auburn brown it advertises. Like others have mentioned, it did leave my hair feeling very dry and brittle initially, but I'm CG and have some pretty heavy-hitting conditioners, so it wasn't a very lasting issue.

Beware of the included gloves as well, they're very cheaply made and both times I took them off to discover they leaked.

The one positive thing I can say for this dye is it did lift my med/dark brown hair, so I was able to use a semi-permanent to deposit about the color I was looking for after - but the color itself was a big letdown.

on 3/13/2014 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i absolutely love this hair color, it has exactly the red tone and radiance i was looking for and looks very natural, i've been using it for two years and has no damaged my hair. The only con is that fades so fast, i need to shampoo daily because i have oily hair and live in a hot weather city in summer (around 104 F) after two weeks it looks a blending od brown-red-blonde and it's Ok but it's not what i want so i have to re-coloring.

on 8/23/2012 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Firstly, I don't think the colour on the box picture is very natural. BUT the colour your hair will turn DOES look natural! And it is a beautiful, glossy medium red, exactly like it says.

I've been dying my hair blonde and so when I went red it was more of a strawberry blonde. But this makes my hair a definite red-red. Not orange, not purple. But still natural. I also have a cool, very pale skin tone and yet this red doesn't make me look sallow at all - rather it highlights my pale skin which makes me happy!

It's great. The conditioner did make my hair feel quite thick, but after the first wash the feeling was gone. I didn't wash my hair for 3 days after dying, get some dry shampoo and spray-on leave-in conditioner and the dye will settle.

I used to use this brand of hair dye when I dyed my hair. It works extremely well if you use a great shampoo/conditioner/deep conditioner. Though, unlike the brown/black one, which gives you the exact color it says it will.. This one gives you weird brown/blonde color, not a medium auburn color. It still came out very nice, though. i'd buy it again if I were to dye my hair that color.

on 10/22/2009 11:40:00 PM

I just got this at Walgreens for 2.99! You can't beat that. I was looking for a nice subtle red color for cheap, which is why I came to MUA to research. Turns out, this is an AMAZING natural red. It turned out beautifully! Red is hard to maintain as is - however at $2.99/box, I could re-dye every month without any complaining. This has no horrible fumes, which is important because I am pregnant. The conditioner it comes with smells amazing! This is so much better than the Loreal I have purchased in the past, and the same quality as a $80 salon visit. Highly recommend!

on 9/22/2009 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't mean to rain on the parade here (since most people love this color) but I used it and was disappointed. First of all, it IS more "ruby" than I'd like (as another user described). Secondly... it faded dramatically after a couple of washes. Now I'm left with a light reddish brown color. It's a lot less vibrant than it was in the beginning, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Since I had blonde hair beforehand, that might account for the lightness and the fading... I'm not sure.

At any rate, I recommend Clairol Nice & Easy and L'Oreal Preference for long-lasting reds.

so this is my HG haircolor. I was timid to dye my hair this color but I gave it a go. my hair is naturally a medium ash brown. this did a good job of lifting my hair color and adding a natural red warm tone. the results matched the shade on the box! next time im going to try the light auburn color silk (I bought 2 bc they were on sale 2 for $5!) awesome.

i dont recommend dying your hair red at home if you have dyed your hair black or darker than your natural shade at any point, it WILL NOT LIFT and your roots or where ever you have virgin hair will lift and you'll have red and black hair. the only way this worked for me was bc i did it on virgin hair. i guarantee. so just a warning and definately go to a professional in that case.

for maintenance I shampoo with l'oreal professional colorist in orange marigold. really helps maintain my color longer and achieve that coppery red color. OR a sulfate free shampoo such as TIGI superstar.

*for reference im nw20 skin with freckles and ever since i dyed my hair this color people are always telling me i have the best complexion. i really think its the haircolor thats enhancing my complexion.

also, when it comes to red dye it will always wash out sooner than other colors but for such a cheap price i dont mind rebuying.

Popular Hair Color Products