Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/8/2017 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had high hopes for this color since it has so many good reviews but on my hair it didn't work, the mix in the bowl was purple, that was the first red flag, on my roots it barely made a dent and gave me the dreaded purple-burgundy red color, on my length it came out red-copper-orangy weird color with primary red highlights, very fake looking, all I can think when I see it is "clown wig", very fake looking, texture is soft and shiny but on me this color is horrible.

I used this once, was really disappointed, forgot about it, and used it again a year later and was really disappointed again. The color on the box is just about my ideal coppery auburn, but my results came out nothing like it. It looked very desaturated, with dull yellowish/orangeish brassy tones, nothing like the rich copper/auburn brown it advertises. Like others have mentioned, it did leave my hair feeling very dry and brittle initially, but I'm CG and have some pretty heavy-hitting conditioners, so it wasn't a very lasting issue.

Beware of the included gloves as well, they're very cheaply made and both times I took them off to discover they leaked.

The one positive thing I can say for this dye is it did lift my med/dark brown hair, so I was able to use a semi-permanent to deposit about the color I was looking for after - but the color itself was a big letdown.

on 6/8/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been dying my hair red for the past 2 years, everything from burgundy to ginger. I was using L'Oreal Excellence, then Preference, then Feria a few times, then Garnier. I couldn't find my usual Garnier shade at Walgreens so picked this up. I'm surprisingly impressed with this dye, especially for the price. Since it's ammonia free, the smell of the dye isn't too offensive. Not too impressed with the conditioner, but for the price I can overlook that. It turned out almost exactly like on the box on my naturally light brown hair. It's a true medium warm auburn which complements my skin tone really nicely. I've had bad experiences with cooler toned reds that washed me out. If I don't feel like experimenting with another color, I'll definitely repurchase.

on 5/6/2014 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This $3.00 dollar box of hair color makes my naturally light brown hair the perfect medium red shade. I'd gone completely natural for a while and was worried about coloring it myself, but it came out perfect. It's a real shade of red: not too bright or with any purple undertones. It didn't leave my hair dry or damaged either. And everyone thinks it's my natural color! I'll definately be sticking with this product.

on 9/13/2011 11:05:00 AM

I was really skeptical of using a box dye for red hair as it seems like red and blonde are the two riskiest colors when it comes to self-dyeing (more of a chance that it'll look fake, etc.) I had previously had my hair colored auburn in a salon, so I was just looking to touch up my roots and brighten it up as it had faded quite a bit. Despite my fears of having orange- or purple-hued hair, I bought this *solely* based on Makeupalley reviews and prayed for the best. It came out wonderfully. This is actually the color that I wanted it to be when i got it done in the salon, but it didn't come out quite this bright before. On me, it is not quite as bright as the color on the box, but it's still definitely a vibrant reddish auburn and it looks extremely realistic, even in natural light. I applied this for 20 minutes on the roots (my hair is naturally a dirty blonde) and an extra 7 on the length of my hair, and the color came out very uniformly throughout. I have self-colored my hair before using Natural Instincts (not red), and I feel like this formula is slightly dryer than that one, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it did make it slightly more difficult to distribute through my bra strap-length hair. This cost $3.34 at my Target... a complete steal. I will absolutely be repurchasing.

on 2/12/2010 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My honey blonde hair has "matured" into a dark blonde with very red to copper undertones. The problem for me was that the undertones did not fully reveal themselves until after a hair disaster. On the surface, the strands looked medium ash blonde. After the blonde dye was applied, my hair came out carrot orange. So five years ago, after my last and worst hair color/hairdresser disaster, I took matters back onto my own hands and started to color my hair again. I went through various products and Natural Instincts (NI) proved to be the most successful and natural.

The shades for auburn in NI are somewhat limited (though I love the Hot Cocoa) and so I decided, after careful study and even hair board discussion, to use the Medium Auburn. The results are fantastic, nearly identical to the gal on the box! What more can you ask? The price at $3.99 a box is about half of NI but that's because there is about 2/3 the amount of product. It's not a complaint, just a statement of fact. I used 2 boxes of this hair color which was still a tiny fraction of the cost of any hair salon job, and I ended up with shiny, soft, medium auburn hair with coppery highlights. The "goop" is thicker than the NI "goop" which for me was a plus. There was less mess and virtually no odor.

I left the dye on my hair (just below chin length bob with bangs, and I have a lot of hair) for 30 minutes. The only grays I've got (knock on wood) are a few silver strands in the sideburns so I can't attest to the product's ability to cover gray (once the hair comes in gray, it's bye-bye auburn and hello ash blonde), but the shade from this product is extremely natural-looking. The conditioner with it is strongly fragranced but I always use the supplied conditioner because I think that it somehow helps to process and lock in the color.

I'll wash my hair next week and will update if the color fades significantly. The nicest thing about this product is that it dyed my hair evenly; Natural Instincts tended to grab the ends of the hair more. Any gal trying to color her own hair and intending to do it every 8 weeks (my present timeframe) ought to try this product. My husband commented that the color is a lot like the l'Oreal Copper Penny which I used a time or two in the 90's. Maybe an older copper penny, but I love it.

on 10/22/2009 11:40:00 PM

I just got this at Walgreens for 2.99! You can't beat that. I was looking for a nice subtle red color for cheap, which is why I came to MUA to research. Turns out, this is an AMAZING natural red. It turned out beautifully! Red is hard to maintain as is - however at $2.99/box, I could re-dye every month without any complaining. This has no horrible fumes, which is important because I am pregnant. The conditioner it comes with smells amazing! This is so much better than the Loreal I have purchased in the past, and the same quality as a $80 salon visit. Highly recommend!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love this color! I find that it only fades a little (which is good compared to most reds). Smells tolerable. Doesn't damage my hair. I get compliments on a daily basis on the color of my hair and people can't believe that I'm not a natural redhead and don't pay a fortune for my color. It's cheap enough I can afford to touch up every couple weeks.

on 9/22/2009 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't mean to rain on the parade here (since most people love this color) but I used it and was disappointed. First of all, it IS more "ruby" than I'd like (as another user described). Secondly... it faded dramatically after a couple of washes. Now I'm left with a light reddish brown color. It's a lot less vibrant than it was in the beginning, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Since I had blonde hair beforehand, that might account for the lightness and the fading... I'm not sure.

At any rate, I recommend Clairol Nice & Easy and L'Oreal Preference for long-lasting reds.

on 11/19/2007 9:34:00 AM

I'm so happy I found this! Even my Aveda Stylist compliments my hair color...of course he would rather I let him do it, but he understands that I splurge on a great cut with him because I can afford to by doing my own color.

Anyway, I use the suggestions in Carekate's n/p...I apply an oil in my hair for 20 minutes before applying the color. (I use Hollywood Beauty's Carrot Oil which can be found at any drugstore in the African American haircare section for about $4.) While ColorSilk doesn't fade as much as other home colors I've used (including the Wella at Sally's,) using the oil helps the color stay true until it's time for a touch-up.

Another thing I've tried is the red/gold base corrector at Sally's. I use about 20 drops in the Colorsilk when I want to go a little less red and a little darker. It's really pretty and I receive a ton of compliments!

For around $3 a box, this stuff is a steal -- I need 2 boxes for my hair since I've grown it past my shoulders, so this is a huge savings.

Popular Hair Color Products