Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Love. Love. Looooove this color. I'm a brunette and have been wanting to go lighter for a long time, so I bought the Revlon Dark Auburn for a little change and then I found a coupon for more Revlon so I decided to do the Medium Auburn. This is the exact color that I wanted and looks really good with my skin. I'm African American and light-skinned and was afraid it would wash me out, but it looks great. And for 3 bucks, I'm stocking up on this color and more.

I tried Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn and it's TERRIFIC. The colour looks natural and it covers gray well. It leaves my hair just as nice and conditioned as L'Oreal does but costs WAY less. At $2.97 at Walmart, it's a steal.
My hair grows fast so I have to touch-up often, every 3 weeks or so. That could be why I don't really notice any fadeout of colour.
The only reason that I stated that I won't buy this product again is because I've gone to a lighter red colour of Revlon Colorsilk now. Same great product but light auburn.

I read good reviews here on MUA about Colorsilk and a few on Naturallycurly.com and decided to try this shade out. I became tired of mixing up my own custom colors from Sally and just wanted a dummy proof auburn shade that looked natural. I know everyone raves about Robert Craig, but I want something that I can find that is five minutes away at my favorite place: Walgreens. I am one of those gals that will suddenly see her roots and wants those rascally rabbits gone in a hurry. I have been looking for something that covered up my grays which my previous hair color did not. It turned out to be a super nice shade of auburn and we all know how tricky reds can be. I didn't have as much hair in the shower either from the rinsing process and no major stains on the skin. It did turn my shower mat pink though! LOL I didn't see any gray hairs peeking through either.

My one and only complaint is the conditioner that is in the box. It works really well and gives good slip BUT the smell is noxious and I am a perfume slut by nature. The fragrance just didn't agree with me. I rinsed and rinsed too and ended up putting another conditioner on my head because the stink was giving me a migraine. Other than that I will repurchase again and just use another kind of conditioner in my arsenal. It is extremely economical.

on 11/19/2007 9:34:00 AM

I'm so happy I found this! Even my Aveda Stylist compliments my hair color...of course he would rather I let him do it, but he understands that I splurge on a great cut with him because I can afford to by doing my own color.

Anyway, I use the suggestions in Carekate's n/p...I apply an oil in my hair for 20 minutes before applying the color. (I use Hollywood Beauty's Carrot Oil which can be found at any drugstore in the African American haircare section for about $4.) While ColorSilk doesn't fade as much as other home colors I've used (including the Wella at Sally's,) using the oil helps the color stay true until it's time for a touch-up.

Another thing I've tried is the red/gold base corrector at Sally's. I use about 20 drops in the Colorsilk when I want to go a little less red and a little darker. It's really pretty and I receive a ton of compliments!

For around $3 a box, this stuff is a steal -- I need 2 boxes for my hair since I've grown it past my shoulders, so this is a huge savings.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

As far as I'm concerned, this is my HG hair dye. The color is very rich and beautiful while still looking natural (everyone who has met me after I started using this thinks I'm a natural red), and the conditioner leaves my hair very soft and shiny. The only time I strayed was to try Herbal Essences in a similar shade - it was way too orange and faded fast. For a third of the price, this product is way, way better.

The gloves are kinda crappy, but I'll take cheap gloves over bad dye any day!

Popular Hair Color Products