Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/8/2017 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had high hopes for this color since it has so many good reviews but on my hair it didn't work, the mix in the bowl was purple, that was the first red flag, on my roots it barely made a dent and gave me the dreaded purple-burgundy red color, on my length it came out red-copper-orangy weird color with primary red highlights, very fake looking, all I can think when I see it is "clown wig", very fake looking, texture is soft and shiny but on me this color is horrible.

on 6/8/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been dying my hair red for the past 2 years, everything from burgundy to ginger. I was using L'Oreal Excellence, then Preference, then Feria a few times, then Garnier. I couldn't find my usual Garnier shade at Walgreens so picked this up. I'm surprisingly impressed with this dye, especially for the price. Since it's ammonia free, the smell of the dye isn't too offensive. Not too impressed with the conditioner, but for the price I can overlook that. It turned out almost exactly like on the box on my naturally light brown hair. It's a true medium warm auburn which complements my skin tone really nicely. I've had bad experiences with cooler toned reds that washed me out. If I don't feel like experimenting with another color, I'll definitely repurchase.

on 5/6/2014 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This $3.00 dollar box of hair color makes my naturally light brown hair the perfect medium red shade. I'd gone completely natural for a while and was worried about coloring it myself, but it came out perfect. It's a real shade of red: not too bright or with any purple undertones. It didn't leave my hair dry or damaged either. And everyone thinks it's my natural color! I'll definately be sticking with this product.

on 8/23/2012 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Firstly, I don't think the colour on the box picture is very natural. BUT the colour your hair will turn DOES look natural! And it is a beautiful, glossy medium red, exactly like it says.

I've been dying my hair blonde and so when I went red it was more of a strawberry blonde. But this makes my hair a definite red-red. Not orange, not purple. But still natural. I also have a cool, very pale skin tone and yet this red doesn't make me look sallow at all - rather it highlights my pale skin which makes me happy!

It's great. The conditioner did make my hair feel quite thick, but after the first wash the feeling was gone. I didn't wash my hair for 3 days after dying, get some dry shampoo and spray-on leave-in conditioner and the dye will settle.

on 7/4/2012 2:28:00 PM

I dyed my hair this color coming from an already natural auburn that was just a bit lighter because I just wanted a minor change. It has come out looking really fake though and now I really miss my natural hair color. Maybe this color works great for other people with a different hair color, but in my case it was a total fail. Guess that was a mistake :(

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Revlon Colorsilk was my fourth try at box-dyed red. Red is the only color I've ever dyed my hair; I'm naturally a dirty blonde with reddish undertones. I must say I was more than a little scared to try a hair dye that costs less than $3--I bought two boxes for my mid-back-length hair, which I normally have to do--but I was pleasantly surprised.

This color is just about perfect.

I can't tell you how many people were in disbelief when I told them this wasn't my natural hair color. I was asked, "Which one of your parents was a redhead?" and even told, "You must be Irish." Not kidding. It's a perfectly balanced, natural-looking shade of red. Believe it or not, I dyed it over two months ago and it is STILL going strong, if a bit faded (although my hair seems to love red dye and clings to it easily). As long as you don't wash your hair often (I personally opt for twice a week) and use a color-safe shampoo, this will LAST like you won't believe.I'm dyeing it again tonight to cover the roots, although I've chosen a different brand simply because I want a darker auburn for Fall. I know I'll be coming back to Colorsilk for the Spring. This shade is a winner: beautiful, natural, and an unbelievably good deal.

This is a beautiful red for the price. It came out fairly dark on me because my hair was a dark brown before I dyed it. It did leave my hair in pretty bad condition though. I had been using demi permanent color for awhile and forgot how tangled my hair gets with box color. It would be VERY hard to comb through for the first three weeks every time I showered.

on 6/11/2011 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After reading a lot of reviews on hair color, I decided to give this one a try. My reason for trying this one were the color results mentioned in several reviews. I hate nothing more than so-called auburns that turn burgundy or, even worse, purple. My color turned out very even and natural, but lighter than anticipated, lighter than pictured on the box. I have naturally light ash brown hair and expected a darker result.

What I liked:
My hair did turn a lovely auburn, in the orangy-copper direction, and not the dreaded burgundy. We will see how well this is going to last. The color gel washed out easy and fast.

What I did not like:
Is has a runny texture, once the color is mixed. The bottle is white plastic, so you cannot see how much you have left. With most colors, I am good with one bottle, and with this color it took two (but no big deal for the price). The color did not smell much, but the conditioner has a very chemical smell. Even though, my hair is dry now, it still smells very strong. My hair felt coarse and rough after washing out the color gel, but feels ok for now, after the conditioner.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. I may be going back to Perfect 10.

UPDATE: After washing my hair several times now, it still feels pretty good. The color lightened up a little more, so it looks more like Light Auburn, instead of Medium Auburn. However, I have had the same experience with other brands before. I may change my mind after all and buy this color again. Maybe I will go to Dark Auburn later in the year. One lippie up for not frying my hair after all.

I used to use this brand of hair dye when I dyed my hair. It works extremely well if you use a great shampoo/conditioner/deep conditioner. Though, unlike the brown/black one, which gives you the exact color it says it will.. This one gives you weird brown/blonde color, not a medium auburn color. It still came out very nice, though. i'd buy it again if I were to dye my hair that color.

on 12/12/2010 1:40:00 PM

I was looking for a medium to dark auburn as I have been coloring my hair for years. There are a lot of reds that turn purple or pink or just plain ugly. this product is not one of those. The color came out almost identical to the box... Maybe a little more ruby than the almost orange tint of the box but in a pretty way. The gloves were on the cheap side and the bottle was also a little cheap. It was not see
Through and you had to cut the tip. Neither of these affected the function of the product. There was the normal chemical smell while using the color but somehow when you put the conditioner on it magically got ridmofmit. It smelled pretty good. Even my fiancÚ thought so and he hates the smell of hair color. I can't believe I waited so long to try this out just because it was the cheapest product in the store. I even got amcomplimentnfrom a stranger on day one outside a gas station which means it passes the sunlight test at looking natural. Hurray three dollar hair color!

Popular Hair Color Products