Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Well, first off, I really didn't expect a lot from this product, as it was cheap but had quite a lot of good reviews, and I am low on funds. What I didn't expect was the nasty shock I was in for. This dye comes out in a gel form when you mix it in the applicator bottle, and it goes on quite nicely on my hair. The colour came out quite well, a brown-ish red, which is exactly what I have been looking for. The omen of my now ensuing nightmare began when I was washing out the dye for the first time. The cone-free lovers would get this, it felt like the first time you washed your hair with cone-free shampoo, except in my case my hair felt so dry I can't even comb my fingers through the tangles that has formed in my hair in fear of breakage. I felt relieved when I applied the conditioner it came with, )the gardinia scent is quite nice too) my hair felt soft again, and my usual styling went well afterwards. Except the feeling of extreme dryness came back at the next shampoo, if I had no stock of hair dye conditioners I would be very tempted to pull them out. it's such a tangled mess without them. I have no idea what I have to do after a run out of the stock of the conditioners. My hair has never felt this dry, even with the Liese bubble dyes that at least makes your hair feel nice WITHOUT having to put in the conditioners it came with. So, the only pros of this product is the ease of applying evenly, the result colour, and the false hope of manageable hair. Now I will probably have to hire some large guns to combat the condition my hair has gotten in, and waste more money on it. Lesson learned, you get what you pay for! Will call out to Asian girls out there who is considering this dye, DON'T DO IT!

I'll come back with an update of how I fixed it, if I find a way out of this mess without cutting it all off!

Update 2/6/15

Went back to silicone conditioners for two weeks, my hair got incredibly dry and brittle at the ends because of my constant straightening and actual dehydration from all the silicone products. Switched back to heavyduty LUSH shampoo and condtioner (Rehab/Retread) on top of HWH pre-wash treatment at every shampoo, the condition of my hair has gotten a lot better. The colour has faded to chocolate brown in the 6 weeks since. Definitely won't repurchase.

on 3/13/2014 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i absolutely love this hair color, it has exactly the red tone and radiance i was looking for and looks very natural, i've been using it for two years and has no damaged my hair. The only con is that fades so fast, i need to shampoo daily because i have oily hair and live in a hot weather city in summer (around 104 F) after two weeks it looks a blending od brown-red-blonde and it's Ok but it's not what i want so i have to re-coloring.

on 9/13/2011 11:05:00 AM

I was really skeptical of using a box dye for red hair as it seems like red and blonde are the two riskiest colors when it comes to self-dyeing (more of a chance that it'll look fake, etc.) I had previously had my hair colored auburn in a salon, so I was just looking to touch up my roots and brighten it up as it had faded quite a bit. Despite my fears of having orange- or purple-hued hair, I bought this *solely* based on Makeupalley reviews and prayed for the best. It came out wonderfully. This is actually the color that I wanted it to be when i got it done in the salon, but it didn't come out quite this bright before. On me, it is not quite as bright as the color on the box, but it's still definitely a vibrant reddish auburn and it looks extremely realistic, even in natural light. I applied this for 20 minutes on the roots (my hair is naturally a dirty blonde) and an extra 7 on the length of my hair, and the color came out very uniformly throughout. I have self-colored my hair before using Natural Instincts (not red), and I feel like this formula is slightly dryer than that one, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it did make it slightly more difficult to distribute through my bra strap-length hair. This cost $3.34 at my Target... a complete steal. I will absolutely be repurchasing.

on 12/12/2010 1:40:00 PM

I was looking for a medium to dark auburn as I have been coloring my hair for years. There are a lot of reds that turn purple or pink or just plain ugly. this product is not one of those. The color came out almost identical to the box... Maybe a little more ruby than the almost orange tint of the box but in a pretty way. The gloves were on the cheap side and the bottle was also a little cheap. It was not see
Through and you had to cut the tip. Neither of these affected the function of the product. There was the normal chemical smell while using the color but somehow when you put the conditioner on it magically got ridmofmit. It smelled pretty good. Even my fiancÚ thought so and he hates the smell of hair color. I can't believe I waited so long to try this out just because it was the cheapest product in the store. I even got amcomplimentnfrom a stranger on day one outside a gas station which means it passes the sunlight test at looking natural. Hurray three dollar hair color!

on 9/22/2009 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't mean to rain on the parade here (since most people love this color) but I used it and was disappointed. First of all, it IS more "ruby" than I'd like (as another user described). Secondly... it faded dramatically after a couple of washes. Now I'm left with a light reddish brown color. It's a lot less vibrant than it was in the beginning, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Since I had blonde hair beforehand, that might account for the lightness and the fading... I'm not sure.

At any rate, I recommend Clairol Nice & Easy and L'Oreal Preference for long-lasting reds.

This is a really beautiful color. It has a bit more of a ruby red cast to it than I want, but it's still beautiful!!! I am more fond of L'Oreal's Excellence Creme in Light Auburn which has more brown and copper, but this is a very close second. My husband absolutely loved the richness and depth of the red of this product. I wish I liked this one as much because the price of this product is unbeatable. It's available at my local walmart for $2.95 a box. I go back and forth -- I will use this again!!!!

on 9/1/2005 4:41:00 AM

I have been searching for just the right shade of red auburn for quite awhile. This is it! It is very flattering on me. I'm a warm LLL and have brown eyes. I really love this color. First I went darker red, but that really washed me out. Now my skin looks so much peachier and the green flecks in my eyes really stand out. So far my hair seems to be responding well to the coloring. I love the conditioner that comes with Colorsilk. I wish they sold it by the bottle. And you definitely can't beat the price - especially for long-haired women like me. I have to use 2 boxes...but that's all of $5 with this brand.

Popular Hair Color Products