Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Glycereth-26 (glycerin- and glycol-based water-binding agent), Dimethiconol (silicone slip agent), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil (non-volatile plant oils), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidants), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Niacinamide (vitamin B3/cell-communicating ingredient), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (emollients), Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (stabilizer), Laureth-4, Laureth-23 (emulsifiers), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, and Sorbic Acid (all preservatives).

on 1/10/2017 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

When I first tried this toner, I thought this is it... HG... but a half an hour later my skin was as red as a tomato. I was really sad, because I loved the hydrating texture of this toner. This is the second toner I've tried from Paula's Choice, and both have been fails. So far I haven't been that impressed with the PC products I've tried. I think it's because I'm really sensitive and she uses a lot of active ingredients. For less reactive types, I think you get a lot of product for your money.

on 1/1/2017 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I tried nearly every Paula's Choice toner, and Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner has been the one I keep going back to. It is a water-weight translucent liquid with a mild, natural (but fragrance-free) scent. My skin is normal to oily with dry areas, and I have found this toner to be more "normalizing" or "balancing" than products that are specifically marketed for that purpose. It has proven to be non-irritating, and in fact, is quite soothing to any sensitive areas I might have.

For the AM: I don't use this every morning. However, when I need a little extra boost of moisture, I apply with clean hands the first step after cleansing, and before BHA. When used in this way, the toner plumps my skin without being oily or heavy, and provides a delicate amount of hydration that enhances application of subsequent products.

For the PM: I use a small amount on a very thin cotton pad to remove traces of sunscreen and makeup leftover from cleansing, and to prepare my skin for subsequent treatments. Since I alternate Renova and AHA, which can be slightly irritating at times, the soothing quality of this toner is very welcome.

I waited a long time to review this product, comparing it thoroughly to other products and finishing one bottle over a period of around 9 months. I was skeptical at first that an enriched toner would make so much difference in my skincare routine, especially since my skin used to be a complete oil slick before I learned to use milder cleansers/toners in order to avoid overproduction of oil. Words can hardly do justice to how well this product works for me, but needless to say, it will be my go-to from now on.

on 12/15/2016 12:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

To be honest, I never really understood the added benefit of a toner. It always seemed like a useless extra step to me and I prefer to limit the amount of steps in my skincare routine in order to keep it simple and fuss-free. I ordered this toner because I was curious to see if this would mean that I could use a lighter moisturizer. I've been using this product for almost three months now and I have noticed an improvement in my skin. I attribute these changes to both my cleanser (the Resist cleanser, also by PC) and this toner, as they are the only things that have changed in my skincare routine (as you can tell, the toner had no effect on the moisturizers I'm using). I suffer from quite a bit of redness in my skin and my skin is easily irritated. I have noticed that my skin looks calmer, more even and feels more hydrated and supple. I am very pleased with these results (even though they're not dramatic, of course) and will continue using this product in conjunction with the cleanser and the other PC products I was already using.

on 11/15/2016 9:26:00 AM

I'm on my third bottle, and I've been using it for maybe 11 months now. I use it both morning and evening, followed by Paula's Choice BHA 2% and some BB or CC cream.

For reference, I have mild rosacea, sensitive and very red skin on my cheeks, nose and forehead. Fighting redness and flaky skin is my number one battle. Since I started using this toner, my skin have transformed from sensitive and weak skin to a stronger, clearer and healthier skin. My skin is more even and it holds make up for a longer time with a prettier result.

I am very happy about this product, but this is the only toner I have tried which is also the reason why I am giving it four lips, because I have nothing to compare it with. Either way, I truly believe in this toner and it delivered everything and more for me. My skin is hydrated, less redd and it makes any product I put on my face stronger, like it compliments the CC or BB creams that I use and makes the result better.

I forgot the toner when I travelled for a long time, and my skin went back to its old normal with lots of redness, irritated, bad. As soon as I came home and started using it again, my skin went back to being perfect. That episode was a turning point for me, Im never gonna be without a toner.

on 6/23/2016 8:50:00 AM

When you have sensitive and/or redness-prone skin, toners are always somewhat tricky. I'm also one of those people that must use a toner after cleansing, as I feel that toning really makes the skin ready for serum/moisturizer. This is The Toner for me - no irriation, calms redness and leaves my skin so fresh and "bouncy".

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I'll continue to purchase it....but I can't tell a difference. My combo/dehydrated skin was ACTING UP. I can't really see an improvement, but I'm afraid to stop using it. I can't help but think that maybe this product has stopped new breakouts...while I'm still dealing with current breakouts.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I never use toners. They always had a negative effect on my skin. However, I heard a lot of great things about this one and got really curious. So I ordered it. BEST DECISION EVER. It's supposedly for normal - dry skin, but I have very oily skin with acne + acne scars. Oh I have a lot of redness too and it works really well. This just really helps my skin calm down, which is great because toners usually make my skin flare up. The bottle lasted me nearly five months. I use it once a day only, before bed. I must say, I looooove the mily texture and I looooove the fact that my skin doesn't feel tight after applying it. If you are looking for a toner, TRY THIS ONE! Unfortunately, it's out of stock right now :( So I'm going to try a toner from another line for now and most likely will review it as well!

on 2/9/2016 1:39:00 PM

So this toner isnt really for any skin type that I know of..
I didnt find it moistuzing for dry skin,it just kind of dried to nothing...
Now IM breakout prone and this toner did break me out :/
Its a weird toner and I dont understand the tone of silicone that Paula puts literally everywhere -.-

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this product! I have acne prone skin so in the morning after I cleanse (normally with micellar water) I use this as a moisturizer. I pour a tiny bit into my palm, rub it between my hands and then apply a layer or two to my face. It's not it's intended use but if your skin isn't too dry this might work for you too! It doesn't break me out and it lasts a long time this way so I feel like I won't have to repurchase for a while.

on 12/13/2015 9:24:00 PM

I love this stuff. I'm 33 with normal to dry sensitive very acne prone skin. This would be, as they say, a holy grail. It's just beautiful. Like milky water, I just splash some on every day and it really does feel like it calms my skin. Though I have dryish skin, most lotions and creams make me break out and this toner seems to be enough moisturizer for me while never causing breakouts and actually seeming to help prevent them. I use Paula's Choice Clear Regular Strength Anti Redness BHA 2% and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 30 during the day and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream (which contains retinol) at night after this and I feel moisturized enough and not irritated.