Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Glycereth-26 (glycerin- and glycol-based water-binding agent), Dimethiconol (silicone slip agent), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil (non-volatile plant oils), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidants), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Niacinamide (vitamin B3/cell-communicating ingredient), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (emollients), Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (stabilizer), Laureth-4, Laureth-23 (emulsifiers), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, and Sorbic Acid (all preservatives).

on 6/23/2016 8:50:00 AM

When you have sensitive and/or redness-prone skin, toners are always somewhat tricky. I'm also one of those people that must use a toner after cleansing, as I feel that toning really makes the skin ready for serum/moisturizer. This is The Toner for me - no irriation, calms redness and leaves my skin so fresh and "bouncy".

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I'll continue to purchase it....but I can't tell a difference. My combo/dehydrated skin was ACTING UP. I can't really see an improvement, but I'm afraid to stop using it. I can't help but think that maybe this product has stopped new breakouts...while I'm still dealing with current breakouts.

To Read all 80 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I never use toners. They always had a negative effect on my skin. However, I heard a lot of great things about this one and got really curious. So I ordered it. BEST DECISION EVER. It's supposedly for normal - dry skin, but I have very oily skin with acne + acne scars. Oh I have a lot of redness too and it works really well. This just really helps my skin calm down, which is great because toners usually make my skin flare up. The bottle lasted me nearly five months. I use it once a day only, before bed. I must say, I looooove the mily texture and I looooove the fact that my skin doesn't feel tight after applying it. If you are looking for a toner, TRY THIS ONE! Unfortunately, it's out of stock right now :( So I'm going to try a toner from another line for now and most likely will review it as well!

on 2/9/2016 1:39:00 PM

So this toner isnt really for any skin type that I know of..
I didnt find it moistuzing for dry skin,it just kind of dried to nothing...
Now IM breakout prone and this toner did break me out :/
Its a weird toner and I dont understand the tone of silicone that Paula puts literally everywhere -.-

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this product! I have acne prone skin so in the morning after I cleanse (normally with micellar water) I use this as a moisturizer. I pour a tiny bit into my palm, rub it between my hands and then apply a layer or two to my face. It's not it's intended use but if your skin isn't too dry this might work for you too! It doesn't break me out and it lasts a long time this way so I feel like I won't have to repurchase for a while.

on 12/13/2015 9:24:00 PM

I love this stuff. I'm 33 with normal to dry sensitive very acne prone skin. This would be, as they say, a holy grail. It's just beautiful. Like milky water, I just splash some on every day and it really does feel like it calms my skin. Though I have dryish skin, most lotions and creams make me break out and this toner seems to be enough moisturizer for me while never causing breakouts and actually seeming to help prevent them. I use Paula's Choice Clear Regular Strength Anti Redness BHA 2% and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 30 during the day and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream (which contains retinol) at night after this and I feel moisturized enough and not irritated.

on 12/4/2015 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is really great for my sensitive, dehydrated skin.
Due to the harsh cold weather my skin was itching like crazy. It was extremely unpleasant to wash my face in the morning and night.
I was always a bit hesitant about adding another step in my routine. For roughly ten years it consisted of a cleanser and maybe an spf our heavy thick cream. Depending on the season.
But in the last year I developed exzema and rosacea so I needed to take better care of my skin.
I had some samples of this laying around and I ordered a big bottle of this Unfortunately pricey stuff. But it calms my redness down and relieves the itching.

I am near the bottom of my second bottle, and already have a third bottle waiting to go.
In regards to the standard perception of toners, I wouldn't even call this one.

I refuse to miss this step in my skin care, it feels so nice on my face - and I notice a difference when I wake up the next morning if I didn't use it (not a good difference).

My skin is dry and dehydrated. I use this night and often in the morning. It's a great step before I use my BHA.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This toner is brilliant. I'm afraid to admit that I often skip using a toner due to never finding one that I really like. Most that I have used in the past have been for the sake of it and when it's used up I'm not in any hurry to replace it. This however is completely different because it actually feels as though there's a purpose to using it. It's extremely gentle on my skin and I feel as though it is an important step in my skin care routine now so I believe I will be repurchasing this as it is an excellent product :)

on 7/15/2015 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Most companies can't figure out how to make good toners that don't contain alcohol, fragrance, or dye. I can't use most of them. And to add insult to injury, some companies say things in their sales material like "a tingle lets you know it's working," which is advertising speak for, "We put a bunch of alcohol in this product and it's irritating your skin right now." When I was a teenager, I thought toners were supposed to do that. They're not. :)

Paula's Choice is a company that consistently makes excellent, non-irritating toners that benefit the skin. This is one of the best things about the PC skin care line. Even the toners for oily skin don't have alcohol. Brilliant.

When I had a horrible reaction (contact dermatitis) to a Biore cleanser, I went through all my other products trying to find things my inflamed red skin could tolerate. I could not find a single toner from a drugstore brand that didn't burn. I could use Kate Somerville's Clarifying Toner, but wow, it's expensive.

This toner is great for sensitive skin and/or dry skin. If my skin gets dry from a medication (such as Retin-A Micro) and I get a flaky area, I know that applying this with a cotton pad will help. It's less moisturizing than a lotion, but that's nice for skin types who are trying to avoid heavy, greasy creams but still need moisture. It really does help calm my skin.

Best suited for normal to dry and/or sensitive skin. (It's not designed to control oil - she has some great toners that are especially for oily skin. Please try those if you have oily skin.) Appropriate to try if you have rosacea or another inflammatory condition.

Sample packets are available for a low cost on the website, so you can try before you buy.