4.2

package quality

price range

Reviews

5 years ago

I was trying to figure out how to describe this one on my skin and really scratching my head over it, as it is VERY unique, VERY chypre, and yes, a bit dated (but oh, in such a good way!!). Yes, it is mossy, dusty, and smells EXACTLY like the inside of a Fifties Vixen's traincase. It opens with a dusty peach and lemon and my skin immediately grabs a hint of the cloves and jasmine and cardamom like a spicy sexy face powder---a classy lady getting ready to go out to the theater with her beau. This is a perfume of a time gone by, one that I love revisiting every time I spray this one. I don't feel musty or fusty when I wear it, I feel like Lauren Bacall has let me play in her makeup while she's getting ready in the morning. The drydown on me is a hint of amber and musk, still with the green dry powdery chypre-ness of it throughout....I have the edt and it lasts 5-6 hours with 2 sprays, but I like to be more liberal and just spritz all over. This is not a room-clearing scent, it wears close to the body and I find it very lovely, sexy, and delightful. Am already looking at repurchasing a larger bottle! (crosspost)

About reviewer (705 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesGray

9 years ago

Oh my goodness. After an initial deeply awkward series of top notes that smell like your general dusty-old-ambery-florabl, my vintage PDT explodes into a to-die-for clove/carnation/cardamomy fragrance that has something in common with Guerlain's oh-so edible Guet-Apens. It's spicy, vaguely gourmand, but where a Guerlain becomes sweet, this becomes ambery and Oriental, a far-away exotic scent that is still somehow feminine and reserved.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Curly, Coarse

EyesHazel

2.0

9 years ago

I received a vintage bottle of the pdt (same as edp) in a swap. I thought, going by the notes listed on Fragrantica, that it would be love at first spray. Unfortunately for me, it was a disaster with my chemistry. I agree with another reviewer that there is a strong "perm" note here, in addition to a burnt rubber note that lingers for the first couple of hours. This I cannot abide, seeing I have over a hundred bottles of goodies that get on well with my chemistry from first spritz. If it would jump straight to the base notes, I think I could find it a place in my wardrobe... since it reminds me a little of vintage Youth Dew at *late* drydown. I disagree about the Madame Jolie comparison. MJ's a huge love of mine and I find very little in common with it here... maybe the newer bottles are much different in characteristics than my vintage bottle. I'd like to try a more recent sample to compare, myself.

About reviewer (71 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

10 years ago

I had the pleasure of trying the vintage fragrance from an aunt of mine. A bottle she kept boxed for many years and barely used--lucky me. I am not much of a Balenciaga fan when it comes to their fragrances but out of all of them I liked this one the best. They don't make fragrances like they use to. You can tell this is a high quality fragrance, beautiful, elegant and classy comes to mind when wearing this. I am not much for musk scents but this is so unique. I took two sprays and after 14 hour day, hints of it were still wafting.

About reviewer (302 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Other

3.0
from

11 years ago

RIS, and wanted to love it---after the first few minutes I smelled something VERY heavy and loud and musty-old, --then something like a perm (for your hair) so I nixed it as anything for me. Then, half hour or so later, I sniffed again and it was beautiful, very close to the skin, and just lovely lady like floral on me. So, I took it off my swap list and will see if I can manage to get past the open and middle notes and enjoy the base notes.

About reviewer (68 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairRed, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

11 years ago

I've found myself thinking of Quadrille and Prelude in a pair, and loving them both mightily. Le Dix is not like her sisters. Doing a compare/contrast, they're both based on a rich, dry, peru balsam-touched amber, which means it's more the cherry amber than the rootbeer (oppoponax) amber. There's a distinguishable vanilla here that hints at future gourmand vanilla ambers more than anything else of their time. It also reaches back -- I'm reminded of Patou's Normandie in that rich, resinous quality. IInitially, there's a moment of wondering if it may have turned as the amber has that dense bottom note-heavy amber feel you can get with turned frags. The amber will feel a touch dry for our time, but compared to the norms in it's day, it compares as really sweeter, more cherry-gourmand than others. Where Quadrille and Prelude split is really interesting. Quadrille incorporates pimento, cinnamon, and has a higher musk component. It has the feel of a relative of Opium (Quadrille came first) with a hint of that rich spice line. However in Quadrille, it is very much a light dusting, not a rich heart. Quadrille opens with a very dry, mannered, rich amber, Then there's a moment of panic as you wonder if you just put on WAY too much. But wait for it, because in about 10 to 15 minutes, Quadrille suddenly dials it WAY down to mellow and becomes a rich, soft, subtley musky, kind of dirty, spicy amber. In drydown Prelude picks up leather notes. Quadrille does not. It's very much a rich, dry skin scent, subtle and faceted. Also, Quadrille incorporates spice and "dirty" musk more than floral, while Prelude incorporates floral infused with spice. Overall, you cannot test Quadrille in the vial, or in the first 5 minutes. And you probably shouldn't wear it publically your first time without skin testing it over time. You need to allow time for dry down and sink in, and you also need to see how loud it starts versus where it dials down to to make sure you don't overspray. This is an absolute treasure of beauty and I could scream that it's discontinued. There are still bottles around, but that won't last. EDIT: To be fair, over time I've noticed that on my skin, Quadrille goes to a kind of next-day "dirty" skin musk, rather like Patou's Moment Supreme. It can be a little bitter, and overall, has not been working for me. If this doesn't happen to you, or dirty skin musk doesn't bother you, Quadrille is gorgeous. For me, I think of it in a pair with Prelude and I've found I'll always choose Prelude instead as it works better with my skin.

About reviewer (542 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

from

12 years ago

This is a complex and very grownup scent. The one element I notice after the drydown is a very slight muskiness. I looked up a description of the scent and there is indeed musk in the basenotes. Those who find musky scents unappealing might therefore wish to approach this scent with caution, but I have simply fallen in love with it!

About reviewer (34 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

13 years ago

And so it began-- I ventured into the vintage pure parfum category and now I am afraid I may never look back. They simply do not make them like this anymore. This is so well blended, so perfect, and so well synchronized --to honor the dance it's named after. This is Feminine and a little spicy in the opening. This is a chypre and leather scent with hints of violets. Like another reviewer said, if you LOVE Jolie Madame -and I certainly do LOVE it-- try this! There is less leather here and more spice (clove)--it's also a little sweeter and smoother than the Jolie (peach).

About reviewer (200 reviews)

Age

SkinCombination, Other

HairOther

13 years ago

Lovely. I bought a vintage parfum strength and gave it a test drive today. Smooth and so well blended. Very grown up ... there is a softness like suede, but a spiciness as well. I see the similarities to other Balenciagas... Cristobal is a favorite. The scent seemed to have a LOT of sillage for the first hour, and then stayed close to the skin after that. Still noticable, but like a special secret that only the wearer knows.

About reviewer (117 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairOther, Wavy, Other

13 years ago

My HG fragrance. I've loved it for years, and I also feel elegant and sophisticated when I wear it.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinOily