Hanae Mori Butterfly EDP

Hanae Mori Butterfly EDP

3.8

on 5/10/2016 12:06:00 AM

One of my all-time favorites. Nice mix of fruity (strawberry) and gourmand (almond). A lovely soft fragrance. Bottle is beautiful too!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought a sample of the EDT and honestly expected to love this fragrance, since I am a big fan of sweet gourmand scents. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. I found it to be extremely synthetic/chemical smelling and the awful kind of cloying sweet that gives you an instant headache. Maybe it just didn't work well with my body chemistry, but personally I would never recommend this perfume to someone else.

To Read all 193 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/12/2015 6:48:00 AM

This should be right up my alley, as I love powdery vanilla scents. This turned out too sugary sweet and sharp! This made this too cloying and headache inducing, made my nose crinkle up every time I smelled it. This is not soft or sexy. Some how too green.

on 3/28/2014 2:41:00 PM

Gorgeous! I originally passed this scent by because in the bottle, it reminded me too much of Mugler's Angel, which goes horribly wrong on me. I'm glad I gave it another chance and actually applied it. On me, Butterfly is a creamy, smoky vanilla, a bit powdery, with hints of sandalwood and musk. I normally combine Butterfly with another, more masculine scent, or wear it only on my pulse points, as it can be a bit overpowering. I've gotten quite a few compliments when I've been wearing this, and men especially seem to really love it.

on 3/15/2014 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Other, Medium

After tryng Hanae Mori's Butterfly EDP tester at Nordstroms fragrance counter several times, I was hooked. I loved what I thought to be a slight floral fragrance with hints of cedar and vanilla notes, perfect for winter. I followed by purchasing this perfume from Macy's with a Christmas gift card. The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was the bottle did not have the beautiful blue butterfly on the glass like the tester from Nordstrom, but only on the packaging. Then I noticed a different fragrance, not at all like the tester, but a fragrance way too sweet like cotton candy laced with heavy notes of pineapple. I could not adapt to this fragrance and finally returned it in its original packaging with purchase sticker and my receipt.

The bottle and packaging shown in the MUA photo is identical to the Hanae Mori bottle I purchased at Macy's and it is not EDP (perfume). I suspect the forumula has been altered or the one I purchased from Macy's was a EDT. Judging from a few of the comments, I now question if there may be two versions of this fragrance. I'll stick with my discontinued Voile de Jasmin by Bvgari whenever I can find it or revert to my beloved (but boring) old lady L'air du Temp with its soft, powdery and spicey notes.

on 3/4/2014 7:59:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

There is something so unique and nostalgic about this perfume. I got a sample of EDT or EDP and fell in love with it. Cannot explain what the notes are on the top of my head but it is a wonderful smell and I got many compliments. I would say this is a romantic fragrance for 25 years and older.

I ordered the full size from ebay and must have gotten a fake because something did not smell right so I gave it away. I found a sample tonight and fell in love all over with it.

on 7/5/2013 10:36:00 PM

What a surprisingly amazing fragrance! Considering I know nothing about the brand, and I think the bottle is pretty boring to look at, I never thought about trying out this scent. I recently ended up with a sample from Sephora, and I'm so glad I tested this out! This is a gorgeous, unique fragrance that is fruity, floral, and woodsy all at once. When you first spray this, you get a burst of fruity fragrance -- think blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries. But this is not your typical juvenile fruity perfume. The fruity scents start blending with the floral scents (I smell jasmine and peony the most), which creates a sweet but mature scent. Finally, the woodsy base notes come through after a few hours (I smell sandalwood and almond), making the fragrance warm, cozy, and sweet. I think this would make a great fall/winter perfume, because it makes me think of crawling into warm, snuggly sheets when it is cold and snowing outside.
This perfume is not too heavy, but I can see it being overpowering if too much is applied. I think a spray on each wrist and one spray on the neck is perfect. The scent lasts about 8 hours on me before I feel a need to reapply, fading noticeably after about 6 hours, which I think is decent lasting power. This scent is so beautiful and one of a kind. I'm so happy I discovered this perfume, and next time I have some extra money I will definitely be picking up a full-sized bottle.

on 7/2/2013 3:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Ok, it's time to revisit this review. I don't know if my chemistry or nose changed or if it's the air here (moved to west coast) but this is now a snuggly sugary woodsy scent as long as I don't over spray. It still smells nice if I over spray but is a little sharp and headache inducing. Still, I would not repurchase but I'm glad I tried it again.
Original review - I really wanted to like this but on me it smells like a sharp fabric softener sheet. I can't pick out any particular note. It just smells like a sharp soapy fabric softener sheet and after a while it just overwhelms me. The bottle is pretty but I regret purchasing it.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: I still enjoy this, but it can be headache-inducing. It's so dang sweet, it cloys sometimes. I think I'm torn between loving and hating this one!

This is sweet, but I love it, which is surprising as I'm usually more into heavy musks. It's light and pleasant, very nice for the colder months. It's very easy to over-apply I find, as it has strong sillage. I think of french vanilla ice cream and fluffy pink cotton candy when I smell this, and it just misses the teenage vibe with the sandalwood notes. Quietly classy and easy to wear.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

One of the absolute best vanillas I've found. It's quite strong, just a couple spritzes is enough. The main notes to my nose are pure vanilla and a bit of powder. It's very smooth and rounded, the powder isn't identifiable as "baby powder" - it just adds a different edge to the vanilla. It's a very warm, cozy scent and my boyfriend loves it on me. I think I will buy a backup because vanilla scents are my favorite and this is one of the best I've come across, at a very affordable price. Definitely recommend this to vanilla and gourmand lovers.

Popular Fragrances