Wet 'n' Wild 522A Dark Wine

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Firstly, let me say I love the formula of these Silk Finish lipsticks! I have them in several shades and absolutely adore most of what I have in terms of colors. For the price point, they don't all have to be phenomenal shades on me anyway. In terms of this shade, I bought a new tube because fall is coming. This is the most lovely deep berry-wine shade for when the weather turns cooler. We all know that a classic wine lip is always on the runways for autumn, and this one is at a can't-be-beaten price point! It stays put really well and leaves a bit of a stain on the lips. I find that it easily survives a meal with plenty of color left. It's not as though I have to excuse myself to touch up my lipstick. That can be hard to find with many more expensive lipstick formulas in my experience. And let's face it. Price point doesn't matter if the lipstick makes you look and feel great. I've had horrible experiences with certain high-end lipsticks, for example, that cost a small fortune compared to this lip product. If you love it, I say rock it and forget about the cost or brand! I'm no longer a lipstick snob thanks to this formula. That's how good these lippies are!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is one of the good formulas in the silk finish line. It's creamy, smooth, and well pigmented. The finish is a creme shine.

Unfortunately, the color and I don't get on too well. This is the darkest lipstick I own - and it does weird things to my complexion. It's a deep reddish burgundy, but I'm naturally pale (yellow/olive) and this makes me look a bit sickly.

If I blot this down to a stain (it does stain VERY well), then it is much more wearable - the berry tones really come out then. I don't tend to wear lipstick as a stain though, so I don't intend to repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Bought this at the dollar store on whim. It's not at darkly scary on as you would think. It ends up being a berry that tones toward burgundy. It goes on very smoothly and doesn't feather all over the place. It's also non-greasy which I enjoy. It's almost a matte finish. It's a true cream with no annoying shimmer or glitter. Will repurchase in the future.

on 10/26/2015 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like this lipstick. The color is beautiful - my perfect autumn berry. Good creamy formula too. The packaging is what you'd expect from a 99 cent lipstick. Cheap and flimsy. Product gets everywhere on the tube. But I love the color! A very good 99 cent find.

This is for 522A. It is a dark berry / wine color. Incredible color payoff! I sheer it down with a lip balm to make it more of a stain. Lovely color year round, day or night...full strength for drama to sheered down for a pretty stain. Nice creamy formula. The packaging isn't fancy or anything (obviously...it's 99 cents), but the little catch that keeps the lid on seems pretty secure and that's the best I could ask for! Overall, really good formula for a wonderful price!

on 9/21/2012 5:57:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Berry shade that reads "red" on me without being true red. I feel like this is a nice fall color because of the berry/almost plum tones. It works well with the usual retro look I try to pair with darker lip colors, and can go from fairly vampy to a pretty sheer flush depending on how much I apply or blot and whether I layer a clear gloss over. Layered with a shimmery nude gloss, it make a really pretty mauvy pink too.

It lasts well enough to make me happy, especially as it fades pretty and not weird -- sort of in shades true to the tube color and not going hot pink or anything.

The version I have is numbered 522A not 522 but it is called "Dark Wine." I bought this a few weeks ago when Wet n Wild was BOGOF.

The other reviewers seemed to love this lipstick but not me. It's actually quite dark and intense on me - it is a vampy, burgundy, wine colored lipstick and it really looks too bold for me, especially because I have light skin (for reference, I have neutral to warm undertones, MAC NC 25ish, Cover Girl in Buff Beige). it's a cream lipstick but a little on the dry side.

It definitely is a more grown up color but I just can't pull it off because it really clashes against my pale skin.

on 10/24/2007 7:09:00 PM

I absolutely adore this colour. I can't use most reds because it's too orange or clownlike on me but this is a wonderful wine colour that's not too vampy or extreme for the day time. Creme formula, no shimmer or glimmer or glitter which is great. A nice classic colour that can work for those who doesn't like a tomato red but want a red lipstick. The fornula isn't overly moisturizing but I like the "matte" finish. I've been looking for this shade for a while, I'm surprised I found one by WnW for a buck. P.S. this makes a beautiful berry shade stain as well! well worth the dollar spent.

on 3/4/2007 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

522A is Dark Wine. don't let the dark color fool you. it goes on more of a neutral berry that is very slightly burgundy. if you like WnW blush Mellow Wine 833D, this pairs off that blush nicely. the two are very sophisticated colors that aren't too bold for everyday wear.

on 8/21/2005 4:48:00 AM

This is a dark-hot pink/burgundy lipstick that looks great on. The texture is very nice too. Of all the expensive lipsticks I have tried, this is actually one of the few pink lipsticks that I can wear. Usually I prefer reds or browns. For some reason this lipstick looks dramatic and feminine and sophisticated, not cheap and fuschia like a lot of pink lipsticks look on me.