California North - Titanium Self-Tanner

No Image

4.3

Active Ingredient: Octinoxate 5.5 Inactive ingredients: water, dihydroxyacetone, safflower oil, cyclomethicone, sesame oil, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, potato starch modified, oxybenzone, aloe barbadensis extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, balm mist extract, cornflower extract, chamomile recutita extract, golden seal extract, lavender extract, althea officinalis extract, nettle extract, dog rose hips extract, rosemary extract, hypericum perforatum extract, sage extract, sambucus nigra extract, yarrow extract, meadowsweet ginko biloba extract, angelica archangelica extract, birch leaf extract, camellia oleifera extract, hydrocotyl extract, wild thyme extract, cucumis sativus fruit extract, arnica Montana flower extract, comfrey leaf extract, ivy extract, witch hazel extract, dimethicone, methyl gluceth-20, allantoin, glycol, titanium dioxide, glycerin, methylparaben, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

We use this at the spa I work at...When they needed someone to practice on I volunteered and was amazed at the results. Very little scent, a bit like cocoa butter. One application makes you an even brown, not a bit yellow or orange, but two applications within two days is perfect and can last up to ten days. Fading is a bit streaky, but I apply once a week and it is perfect. Product is pricey, I repurchase as I get a discount. The lack of scent alone made me leave Savage Bronze in the dust.

DESCRIPTION OF ME: Caucasian PPP (Lancome Color ID I-10 C, Teinte Idole Ivoire 2 C).

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: A lotion-based self-tanner that contains an SPF of 7.

PACKAGE: The bottle is a sturdy, flip top style, which makes dispensing fairly simple and easy to do. Most likely, this ST will be a good traveling product. One bottle holds 8 fl. Oz.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE: Thin to medium consistency lotion that is very easily spread. Absorbs fairly fast and has no color guide.

AREAS OF APPLICATION: Following my standard routine of self-tanning (showering/shaving/exfoliating), I applied this lotion all over my body, one section at a time, blending in a circular motion. After applying, I waited 10 minutes and applied a regular body lotion all over to ensure even distribution. Gloves are a must when applying this ST, or you will have orange palms!

DRYING TIME: The ST itself rapidly absorbs into the skin. 15 minutes, tops.

SMELL: By far, this is the best smelling ST Ive used yet. There isnt really a smell at all, but if youve been using STs for awhile, that in itself can be a godsend, as they can be quite smelly most of the time. I used this before bed, so I didnt have to smell it all day (in case it did stink), but I did wake up a few times during the night and smelled the familiar DHA scent. However, its not as strong w/California North as it is w/most other STs. EDIT: Jan Tana's Fast Tan actually smells better, so CNT is now my 2nd best smelling ST!

COLOR: This is where my review goes down a few lippies. Im extremely pale, so I need an ST that will give me some color, FAST! This gives a very natural and light color with one application, but its not dark enough for me to feel comfortable wearing shorts or a bathing suit. Using it two nights in a row, it was a little deeper, but Im still not blown away by the shade its turned me. This would probably be better as a tan extender for those who are already tanning w/another ST or naturally. Even though I wasnt impressed by the deepness of the color development, it must be said that the color did look flattering and was not too streaky, although I did have some uneven spots.

OVERALL: A good ST, but for the price ($24 USD + S/H) I think there are other STs out there that would be better suited for my pale skin. Ill probably start using a different ST and finish out this bottle (using it as a tan extender or daytime SPF), but Im not quite sure Ill repurchase. Again, even though Im not thrilled with the color development, this lotion was very easy to use, and I definitely recommend it to beginners or to those who just want a hint of color while getting some SPF protection.

INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredient: Octinoxate 5.5% Inactive Ingredients: water, dihydroxyacetone, safflower oil, cyclomethicone, sesame oil, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, potato starch modified, oxybenzone, aloe barbadensis extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, balm mist extract, cornflower extract, chamomile recutita extract, golden seal extract, lavender extract, althea officinalis extract, nettle extract, dog rose hips extract, rosemary extract, hypericum perforatum extract, sage extract, sambucus nigra extract, yarrow extract, meadowsweet ginko biloba extract, angelica archangelica extract, birch leaf extract, camellia oleifera extract, hydrocotyl extract, wild thyme extract, cucumis sativus fruit extract, arnica Montana flower extract, comfrey leaf extract, ivy extract, witch hazel extract, dimethicone, methyl gluceth-20, allantoin, glycol, titanium dioxide, glycerin, methylparaben, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum).

Thanks to Seclusae2 for the layout!
continued >>

This actually has no scent at all. Smells like lotion. Clearly they have changed the scent since the last reviews here. I have tried somewhere in the 60-75 range of types of self tanners and none have been worth re-buying. I would by this again however. It's not fantastic, but it's the best I have found as of yet and will discontinue my search for better cause I'm just sick and tired of the struggle to find one just right. Things I like about this one is the lotion consistency. Not too thick or runny. Zero scent which s nice for a change because I find no matter what the scent (when there is one) it's gets sickening after a very short period of time as almost any scent would having to wear it for as long as self tanners need to remain on before washing off. Dries incredibly fast leaving very minimal tackiness on the skin. Does not interfere w/ application of make up. All others I have tried I'd apply and wait a few hours and then instead of removing before foundation I'd just do my foundation over the self tanner that was dry and my foundation would look funky and w/ this there's no issues. Dries w/ in 15 max. Dries best on arms and legs. Seems to apply unevenly on my arms, but haven't a clue why. Doesn't fade evenly on arms either. Provides a half shade darker then natural skin tone w/ one application. For the results I need w/ is just a healthy glow I apply 2 layers w/ in a 2 hour period waiting for the 1st to dry. Gloves need to be worn if applying to more then a coup1e small areas as this will stain palms. I cannot find this for any less then $26 for the 8oz bottle or $47 for the 16oz pump bottle refill. If anyone knows of a cheaper price please state it cause this is damn pricey!

on 5/16/2005 12:18:00 AM

So far the best tanner I used, has good staying power, doesn't streak easily, has spf in it and it smells good (a bit like cocoa butter and play doh). I have received many complements using this tanner and it produces color pretty fast. Will definitely purchase the bigger bottle next time.

on 9/2/2004 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this self-tanner. I have been using Cal North for about 5 years now and have not strayed once. My co-workers and friends are always fooled into thinking I was out for the weekend playing in the sun, when I reality, I was at home cleaning the bathroom and watching tv with the stuff on my body. I even made sure I used this stuff the night before my wedding to look golden delish!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this self tanner!! It works so great!! I've tried many other self tanners after using this and nothing even comes close. It gives my medium complexion the perfect tan!

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

A very nice self tanner, gave me a nice and even natural looking medium to light tan for these winter months. The scent is nice, sort of tropical and fruity. I paid around $22 for the 7 oz bottle, which I thought was a bit steep -- but for a good looking sun-free tan I guess it is worth it to me. The packaging is simple with an easy to use squeeze bottle.