Conair Ionic Speed Styler 199 yellow fan

No Image

2.5

on 2/12/2008 12:04:00 AM

The worst appliance I have ever purchased, paired with some disappointing customer service. I don't really have high standards when it comes to hairdryers, given that I expect they will have a limited lifespan. I prefer something light and easy to use, with a good deal of power. This dryer has two slide controls, one for heat (as in warm, medium, hot) and one for speed/power (as in low, medium, high). Most dryers I have used in the past have button controls, but I appreciate that three settings requires a slide control. That said, I certainly have never used a slide control this difficult to move. One needs both hands to turn the dryer off, on, or to change the setting. Contrary to what I would expect, as the dryer heats up, the controls are even harder to use. I ended up having to use a screwdriver to force the dryer off.

I thought this must be a faulty appliance, and when I contacted Conair customer service, I got a dismissive reply that amounted to a) I could return the item to where I purchased it, (which I can't do because I waited until my last dryer broke to use this one) or b) I could ship it to them and wait for a reply. Hmmm...no thanks. I don't intend to go to extra expense to simply wait while the dryer rots in the warehouse of forgotten gadgets.

on 8/15/2005 1:52:00 PM

Got this at Target, and sticking with this one after returning a VS Variable Ion dryer and a Revlon red metallic dryer. Originally I was looking for something lightweight and compact, but I came to realize that noise level was important too. This dryer sounds good, is lightweight, and comes with a concentrator attachment. It has a ceramic plate at the end that is supposed to help the air warm more evenly. The yellow fan/window is a gimmick but the airflow through this dryer does seem nice and strong. The dryer is not particularly compact (wish it had a folding handle) but the barrel is less wide than most and it is lighter overall than many. There is no control button for the ions, but that never seemed like a useful feature to me anyway. This dryer feels good in my hand and although it doesn't say on the box that it is quiet, it is so much better than the ones that I ended up returning!

Popular Hair Styling Tools