Urban Decay Eyeshadow (All)

Urban Decay Eyeshadow (All)
Dark Purple and Lime Green

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 11/28/2016 9:21:00 PM

The only eyeshadow I like to use now. They are the best. The singles packaging is amazing so spills and very sturdy. The colors I have used are all gorgeous and the sparkles ones are sophisticated not tacky. The best eyeshadowa period!

on 10/11/2016 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

These are great eyeshadows & worth a reasonable investment by anyone. Singles are $20 or $21 each, as are the eyeliners & mascara. Colors are buildable, so don't expect a big color payout with one swish through the shadow. Too big a swipe will cause the dust to fall under eyes & upper cheeks. This is really just a learning curve, since a LOT of women have a palette in their cases since layering brings out depth, remaining blendable. Great lasting power, particularly when using the SHIMMER eyeshadow primer (any) as opposed to the regular--the shimmer variety has a workday's worth of virtually unbudgeable color.

The best investment in eyeshadow right now is a Naked or Naked 2 matte palette, which run $29. I have Naked 2 matte b/c the colors of Naked matte are primarily light instead of midtone, and I like a little natural drama. The darker colors hold up fine as eyeliner and make it the only eyeshadow you need for a trip.

Other perks are colors & finishes. Several colors feature iridescent shifts, which can bring out your eyes without being too much. It took me a while to forgo eyeliner for a long time while using these colors, but when I did, I loved how the colors were interesting & understated with just brown mascara. Then there's the opposite end of the UD spectrum, where twinkling glitters don't fall out of place easily, iridescents shift blue to gold or green, & shimmers that don't look like you're trying too hard. I was titillated when I found out some of colors in the Moonstone series doesn't look crepy or too juvenile on 40+, hooded eyes.

Remember, layers! Use mattes to tone down too much shimmer/shine. Don't stir up a lot of color with your brush without a plan for fall out as this makes palettes dirty fast & won't give you any more color than you can truly blend in. Naked Matte 1 & 2 are steals at $29.00 and can be used everyday and as an on-the-go compact. Singles are expensive, and there is an empty, 4-shadow palette to customize your colors, but there's no incentive since the palette is another $10. It should be free with the purchase of four at a minimum, like Buxom offers with 6 of your choice for $40, and those are as true & buildable. The palettes are the best deal but choose wisely since these all contain no more than 1/2 a palette's worth of everyday, neutral colors & always too few mattes.

on 7/3/2015 11:14:00 AM

I love the Urban Decay eyeshadow singles. I've been buying them throughout the years. They really do last a long time. The colors are pigmented and beautiful. They have a good shade range. The shimmer shadows do have a tiny bit of fallout for me. I've been having less fallout since I've been using an eyeshadow primer. So it could be user error with the fallout. Overall I will continue to buy the eyeshadow singles.

on 2/16/2015 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have reviewed the Naked palettes separately, so I'll just review some singles here. I own "Sin", which is a very pale shimmery light pinky shade that I like to use on my lid or as a highlight. I also own "Mushroom", which is a shimmery dark taupe with primarily gray tones that I like to use mostly in the crease. The formula is very smooth, buttery, soft, and the pigment is awesome. The one thing I dislike is how soft it is. Well, it's a love/hate thing. I love how easy the softness it makes it to blend, but the problem is that is also causes lots of crumbling. This leads to product waste and some fallout. But these are just minuscule problems in what is a lovely shadow. The shade selection is awesome, the formula is good, and it's readily available. I definitely recommend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just majorly splurged today at Sephora and bought 5 Urban Decay eyeshadows. I found out last night after doing some reading that they're a cruelty-free brand, so I wanted to see what they had. After testing out a few colors in the store I ended up walking away with 5... yeah.

I bought Snakebite (warm dark choclatey brown), Desperation (dark blue-gray), Chase (warm sand), YDK (between a cool bronze and rose gold), and ABC Gum (matte peach).

The color payoff for all is unbelievable. The formulas are smoother than Mac's shadows by a long shot. Most of the colors have a lot of shimmer, but somehow they don't look cheap and "silvery" like most shimmers/frosts do. It's just a sparklier version of the color, if that makes sense. They also lasted on me throughout the day without a primer, but I did notice that the darker colors smudged every so slightly, but I think this is because I used a lot at once instead of layering it on like you're supposed to. It's really finely milled powder so it's easy to overdo it if you don't have a light hand.

These shadows are gorgeous! The only bad thing about them is the price - $18 bucks a pop. But they are well worth the money. If you've been thinking about getting some of these shadows, go for it, you will absolutely not be disappointed!

on 8/20/2013 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is kind of gross but I have owned one of Urban Decays Eyeshadows for around 7 years(I know!!) I used it continuously for a whole year, and on and off for the next 6 and I still haven't even reached the bottom, the product literally goes on forever and ever!
The colour is very pigmented, has a nice shimmer to it, no smell, doesn't crease or spread anywhere. The packaging is quite cute too. Would definitely recommend.

Im on my 3rd Urban decay token shadow. Urban Decay in Black out is the only eyeshadow i prefer and choose to use. The quality is up there, is the only shadow that i surprisingly found to blend and first strike so beautifully. I did notice though they reformulated oil slick from pitch black to dull charcoal. But overall Urban Decays the best eyeshadow out there.

on 2/11/2013 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I bought my 1st urban decay palette about 3 years ago, and let me say, I'm obsessed. I have accumalated at least 120 shades through palettes, pigments and single shadows.

Let me say that their shadows are phenomenal. They are buttery smooth. The shades are richly pigmented. The metallics pack a punch. The mattes are soft and blendable. The duo chromes are insane. The glittery ones dismissed the need to buy glitter separately (although I find that their new glitter formulas have more fall out and are less pigmented than the previous formula).

Where I live UD is available in limited quantity so I've bought all online. The shades dont disappoint. If you think the shades look amazing online, wait till you get them in person...breathtakingly gorgeous.

My palette of choice is the orginal Naked palette. Other outstanding bright shades are flash, flipside, radium, height, junkie, loaded, unhinged, vert, fishnet to name a few.

If you haven't tried UD and are curious, just go for it. Go for an older palette that is on sale. You wouldn't be disappointed and may become a die hard UD fan like myself.

on 11/30/2012 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: Fast forward a few years and I am bumping this up a lippie. I still whole heartily agree with what I wrote below. But since then I have delved deeper into the shades, and have realized some are very buttery and nice even if they are heavy on the sheen. Some of the shades I felt too frosty, can be toned down a bit. But the other reason for bumping this up a lippie is the Naked palettes and what is in them...those shades. There are some great colors in there (Toasted, Verve, YDK, Suspect, Buck, some mattes from Naked 3) that work even though I am pushing 42 now. I also have a deep appreciation for the Naked Basics palette, especially with my wrinklier by the day eyes.

ORIGINAL: All in all, I am not really a fan of Urban Decay eyeshadows. Yes, they make great palettes. But, I prefer more neutrals, no glitter, and a satiny shimmer or matte shadow that is buttery not chalky. This is where Urban Decay fails me. I am trying to put together a quad from them so I have one perfect quad. It is such a struggle to fill it...the colors are so close to right, but then fail me. Maui Wowie, gorgeous perfect shade way too much glitter. ABC Gum or Foxy or Virgin great highlight wash shades, but none look "perfect" on my (NW20). Naked in the crease...eh. I find MAC Era or NYX Taupe to be my HG soft crease colors. Vanilla - very pretty lid color, but doesn't seem to apply even or it is just so frosty it is reflecting so much I can't tell if it is even. I just find myself struggling to find perfection among these shadows but being faced with mediocrity. If you are a young adult, love glitter and colors, I would imagine you are a huge fan. But for an almost 40 yr old mom, these just tend to look ridiculous on me.

on 11/3/2012 2:58:00 PM

Urban decay is undoubtedly one of the best eyeshadow products !! Although it costs $18, it lasts enough&pays off in the long run. I bought it in the color called Lost, which I use to either put on eyeshadow for a night out or everyday-use eyeliner. I tend to use it for eyeliner because I'm a college student who really doesn't go out that often. You can definitely build up more layers for dramatic look! With my drugstore angled brush, I can draw a simple eyeliner that blends into my skin that it looks really natural and beautiful. Not many recognize that I put it on. On top of that, it lasts the whole day with an eye primer. However, since it's pricey, I recommend you to buy only a few that you can really commit to until they last.