Tarte Lights Camera Lashes

Tarte Lights Camera Lashes
Lights Camera LashesLights Camera LashesLights Camera LashesLights Camera Lashes

3.8

Ingredients: Aqua, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, cyclopentasiloxane, hydrogenated stearyl olive esters, stearic acid, cera carnauba, triethanolamine, alcohol, candelilla cera, acacia senegal gum, panthenol, VP/VA copolymer, polyvinyl alcohol, aminomethylpropanediol, chlorphenesin, iron oxides (CI 77499).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I got a sample of this with an order from Tarte and put it aside for a few months... Finally tried it this week and I can honestly say after several days of wearing it that I really like it!
The applicator brush is narrower than the standard spoolie brush so it’s easier to get into the outer corners of my eyes and the lower lashes, which makes my eyes look larger on top of lengthening. It doesn’t thicken as much as I’d like, the effect is more of a whispy long lash. I haven’t been getting any flaking or transferring. I woukd like to try this again and may buy a full size one, the price isn’t the beat but it’s not bad either.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I really like this mascara. I have never really noticed the importance of pigment in mascara before this mascara. It's so black that, when applied from the bottom of the lash--makes the eyes look liquid-y and gorgeous. It is totally buildable and the formula does not dry. Definitely adds volume and makes eyes look gorgeous! I gave it four stars, however, because it doesn't add a crazy amount of length (which I like).

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

The first impression of this mascara is that it is a typical black clumpy thickening mascara. After subsequent uses, and getting used to the applicator, i realized my lashes held up all day and it looks pretty on my eyes. However i find it hard to separate my lashes sometimes and it clumps at certain points of my eyes which irks me slightly. It is a very pretty mascara but not what i would look out for and not the look i prefer best.

My HOLY GRAIL mascara!!

So pretty. Can be worn lightly for a natural look with zero clumping or spider lashes, or layered for a heavier look. I like the curling agents and the staying power was pretty impressive, even against my oilfield eye area.

on 1/8/2018 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This might be my new HG mascara, finally! I've been on the hunt for a new mascara for about a year, since my old HG (BADgal Lash from Benefit) mysteriously stopped working for me.

I have sensitive eyes, medium blonde lashes that grow straight out and some that point down, they're average to short in length, not very thick (but also not super sparse), and getting them to curl (and stay curled) should be an Olympic event.

When I first tried this mascara, I thought, "Meh. It's better than nothing, I guess." It was thick and a bit wetter than I expect from such a thick formula, it didn't hold my curl and it separated my lashes more than I like without adding much extra volume. But, I know sometimes you just have to give a mascara a few tries before you make a final judgment, and I didn't have anything else that was working for me, so I kept using it. Within a week or maybe ten days, I declared it my new HG, tentatively. Within a month, I was sure this would be a mascara I would repurchase, indefinitely.

It's a nice black that isn't too shiny or too matte, and after it dried out a little, it did a great job adding some extra volume. This isn't going to give super falsies-like lashes, but it's more than enough for day time. I use two coats, but one coat gives a look like enhanced natural lashes, so if you have thick or naturally curled lashes and just want something to emphasize them without looking like obvious makeup, I think this would work great with just one coat. I never have any events that would make me go for super dramatic lashes, but I like it to be obvious that I have lashes, if you know what I mean. On me, it lasts all day with no smudging or flaking, and doesn't make my eyes hurt or itch. (Although the more tired I get, the more aware I become of the fact that I'm wearing makeup. But that isn't just this mascara, it's all my makeup.)

I've had mascaras that had a similar formula, as far as the thickness goes, and I was worried this was going to clump and flake like those have done. But, thankfully, my fears were unfounded. Even at the end of its life (I really need to replace it because I've had it about 3.5 months and it's very dry now), the only time I get flaking is if I wait too long to go in with the second coat. But even that is very minimal, just a few that are easily swept away. It hasn't smudged, except once when I cried, and it's held up in humidity and rain better than some waterproof formulas I've used.

Some mascaras really, really irritate my eyes. They make my lashes very stiff, which is painful, and they're a nightmare to remove (usually taking a few lashes with the product). This one isn't. Or it isn't like that, usually. I have had one or two instances of maybe one stiffer lash, but otherwise, no irritation from this mascara. I've found that some of my eye makeup removal methods don't work as well with this mascara (like coconut oil, for some reason), but it removes very easily with a lotion formula and micellar water. I also tried Take the Day Off, and it works a bit better than coconut oil, but I'm really not impressed with that stuff anyway.

The only big "con" I can think of for this mascara is the price. This (according to Ulta's website) is 0.24oz, vs BADgal's 0.3oz, and this is four dollars more. But, I think it's worth it. Considering how much I was paying trying to find cheaper mascaras that worked for me, I'm willing to pay more for one tube 3-4 times a year, instead of paying this much or more every month or so because I can't use the cheaper mascaras.

I'm also not crazy about the packaging, but that's not something I feel strongly about. As long as the product works, I don't really care what the packaging looks like. I think it's kind of cute and different, but it's not a selling point or "con" in my opinion.

Pros:
-Drier formula
-Thick but light-weight formula
-Doesn't irritate my eyes
-Holds lash curl
-Doesn't smudge
-Doesn't flake
-Not too difficult to remove
-Nice black color
-I'm pretty sure Tarte is vegan and cruelty free
-Long wearing

Cons:
-Pricey
-Might take a week or two for the product to dry out a little (but it isn't a messy wetter formula at the beginning, it just doesn't add as much volume as after it begins to dry a bit)
-Removal is weird sometimes (with coconut oil or TTDO, my mascara came off in sand-like granules, which is potentially irritating to the eye area if I'm not careful)

on 12/29/2017 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Mascaras always smudges on me, including my usual (TF’s better than sex mascara). But this surprisingly did not smudge, did not flake or budge even a single bit after a full day! I am super impressed by this. I got it as a deluxe sized sample in the Tarte Treasure Box Collector’s Set and I am definitely considering purchasing a full size now. This doesn’t give me a lot of volume but it gives a nice length to my lashes and it holds a curl well and it is very lightweight and comfortable to wear. For the first time in forever, I don’t have to worry about turning into a panda in the middle of the day.

on 12/7/2017 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got a free sample of this at Sephora. I was skeptical because I'm very picky about mascara. It always smudges on me for some odd reason, and my skin isn't even close to oily. Anyway, I gave this a shot and was shocked at how much I liked it. I only need one coat and it really makes my lashes look gorgeous.

on 11/29/2017 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I received a smaller size version of this with a holiday collection order from Tarte (it included a lipstick and blush mini along with this). I thought I'd prefer the lipstick and blush to this, but when I first tried the mascara, I was amazed. One swipe and my lashes looked super long. A bit more, and I had volume, length and definition. It can get a tiny bit clumpy, but it's not too bad compared to other mascaras I've tried. It doesn't take forever to dry, which I like. I get crazy-good lashes from this, and it doesn't flake or run for me. I think it's too much to pay $23 a tube of this, but with a sale or special offer, or if I get a nice raise in income, I'd definitely consider sticking with this mascara.

This is my current mascara and the only mascara I've repurchased a few times. I have short lashes and this mascara helps to give them volume and length - making my eyes look more awake. It is also the only mascara (that I've tried so far) that doesn't smudge, even with my very oily eyelids.

I received a deluxe sample of this and have worn it 3 times. It's just ok, actually kind of meh. For the price tag, I expect it to outperform drugstore mascaras, but I can list at least 5 that are better than this one. I didn't notice much volume or length added, it just darkened my lashes. It didn't clump or smear, which is the only points in it's favor. However this formula flakes after a few hours. Nothing horrible or anything, but a high end mascara that flakes is unacceptable and a deal-breaker for me. If you want to spend a chunk of change on a sub-par mascara, I won't stop you, but I'll stick to my trusty L'Oréal Voluminous and Telescopic.