Tarte Lights Camera Lashes

Tarte Lights Camera Lashes
image 1image 2image 3

3.8

Ingredients: Aqua, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, cyclopentasiloxane, hydrogenated stearyl olive esters, stearic acid, cera carnauba, triethanolamine, alcohol, candelilla cera, acacia senegal gum, panthenol, VP/VA copolymer, polyvinyl alcohol, aminomethylpropanediol, chlorphenesin, iron oxides (CI 77499).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

So disappointed!

For reference, I have very long lashes, and down-turned eyes.

Application was good, and made my lashes look great. And then... after a few hours, I noticed a big black smudge under my eyes. It took makeup remover to remove this. I had to redo my concealer and undereye makeup mid-day.

Thinking maybe it was a fluke, I continued to make this product work for a few more days. Every single day - a big black smudge under my eyes. Like dark undereye circles, just a black shadow. This happened after about 3 hours of wear time.

It's very strange, because I have very dry skin - so smudging, fading, or running are typically NEVER issues I have to deal with. I have tried a LOT of mascara and this was a first for me. I guess it rubbed off onto my undereye area when I blinked?

Really disappointing, because I thought the mascara made my lashes look great. It might work if you have short lashes? I think if you have long lashes you are not going to like this product.

on 7/6/2016 4:49:00 PM

I received a sample of this mascara and maybe mine was just a dud, but it was extremely clumpy and dry. It constantly left beads of dried up mascara on my lashes and was difficult to comb through. I could even see clumps of mascara on the bristles when pulling it out of the tube. After only maybe two weeks of use, I noticed how dry and sticky the wand looked when pulling it out. The bristles were lying flat on the wand and looked plastered down by dry mascara. It also has a strong chemical smell and was somewhat difficult to wash off. Overall, a thumbs down from me. I might try this again in the future because I like tarte in general, and think my tube may have just been too old or possibly not sealed well.

Pros:
- Packagin

Cons:
- Clumpy
- Chemical smell
- Very dry
- Smudged under eyes
- Difficult to remove

To Read all 734 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The effect it gives the lashes is nice but it always ends up smudging!

The struggle is real - finding mascara that doesn't clump, smudge, or flake, while still giving natural AND fake looks... after the many I've tried, this performs very well, but there can still be improvements..

Upon opening, I was surprised by the "dryness" of the formula. I typically use Clinique or Lancome, which are far wetter in consistency - it almost felt like I had the tube for a few months already when I opened it, which weirded me out. Even so, it coated my lashes well, and definitely is more of the "natural" look with 1-2 coats (you have to work to give this sucker "falsie" status, as the formula is thicker). I was impressed by the coverage, however, as I appeared to have many more lashes than before.

The color isn't the blackest black, however, which again pushes it toward a more natural mascara. The faux snake skin wrap on the tube I found to be innocuous, and actually helps me find it in my deep makeup bag, so although it's silly (and probably costing me a dollar more), no points off for that.

Most likely due to it's drier texture, I notice hardly any smudging by the end of the day, which is a HUGE plus - raccoon eyes are my biggest problem with mascara - which is why I will keep repurchasing this until I find something better. The formula does still flake a little, although it is still less than many others I've tried.

The cost is a bit steep for this, which is unfortunate, but I haven't found anything better yet. For evenly coated lashes and minimal smudge/flakes, I will definitely repurchase - but here is hoping for the next formula to be a bit darker in color and more buildable... and cheaper. Wishful thinking?

on 6/10/2016 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have the deluxe sample size from the Lash Stash 2016 value set. While it gives me decent looking lashes, it flakes terribly on me. I have so many black specks around my eyes that I can't keep up with wiping them off. Also, I find when I take the brush in and out of the tube a lot of product gets caught on the neck of the tube and I have to wipe it clean every time I use it. I'm throwing it out and going back to my Clump Crusher.

on 5/26/2016 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This mascara is nothing special. It doesn't curl and if you're not careful it can look very clumpy. It is also not very dark for a black mascara. L'Oreal voluminous mascara is A LOT better and half the price.

on 5/23/2016 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was underwhelmed by this mascara. After hearing so many fantastic reviews about how great it is from Youtubers, I bought it. In Australia this cost me over $30 so I was expecting greatness. It's only ok. It's dry, not very black, doesn't define, doesn't lengthen, doesn't thicken. It's fine if you like a very natural lash. The packaging is ugly, not Eco friendly, and isn't able to be done up very tightly. Save your money and purchase something else. The only pro is it never smudged.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wasn't wowed by this mascara. For the price - $21, there are definitely better mascaras out there. The formula is pretty thick and "wet". It didn't make my lashes clumpy or anything, but it really didn't do a whole lot either. I got a little volume, and a little bit of length but not the kind of results that I was hoping for. I think this could be a good natural looking mascara, but like I said for the price you're better off getting something cheaper. It also had a tendency to smudge on my oily lids. I also didn't really like the packaging. I found it to be a little tacky in my opinion. The lid also doesn't seem to close super air-tight, so I have a feeling this will dry out rather quickly. The one thing I do enjoy about this mascara is the brush. I prefer natural-bristled mascara wands, and like that excess mascara doesn't build up into the wand. That's pretty much the only good thing I have to say about this product. I wouldn't repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay first things first. I have combination/oily skin. Meaning my T zone and eyelids will get oily no matter how much I set with powder. Anyways on to the good stuff.

I find this mascara very meh. It makes my lashes look good yes it adds volume and lengthens. But it smudges oh god it smudges. I only put on for like 30mins and I was still home and I already saw transfer on my lower lash line. Eek. Nothing i despise more than eyeliner/mascara transfer and smudging. So definitely do not recommend to combination-oily gals. Probably not a good idea to use out in a Super hot country like Singapore.

It retailed for like SGD$33 at Sephora which is pricey. I wouldn't have minded it if it didn't smudge or transfer!

The packaging is horrible too sorry it's just tacky. I prefer a sleek metal tube like normal mascaras.

PS for all da oily lid gals out there, go buy Bobbi Brown Smudge Proof/ No Smudge Mascara! The silver tube. It is 100% smudge proof i promise you!

on 4/28/2016 6:39:00 AM

I've been using this mascara for about a week now and I must say unfortunately I am a bit disappointed. After reading a lot of great reviews in my search for a quality vegan, cruelty-free mascara that isn't full of toxic crap I was hoping this was going to be the one. I find the formula too thick and dry and it clumps during application. I'm one week into my tube and it feels like I've been using it for three months. It adds volume and length, which is true to it's claims, however my lashes are brittle and dry with it on and if I touch them at all or try to separate them or fix the clumps after application it just flakes off all over my face. I have to dip the wand back in to get more product multiple times because the formula is so dry, either nothing is going on your lashes or it's clumping like hell. I'm not impressed considering I paid $25 for this and the Pacifica mascara I just finished was only $16 and I didn't have any of these issues with that mascara. Sadly, I do not think I will be repurchasing as it's not what I consider worth paying $25 for. The level of dryness of this formula doesn't give me much hope that the tube will last me very long either and I'm not paying $25 in a month for another one. Also, the packaging is ugly as hell. You can't even recycle the tube when it's finished because of the synthetic leather sleeve. Not environmental friendly IMO. Overall, not worth the money, which is sad because I like Tarte's other products and usually they are good quality.

UPDATE: I have continued using this tube of mascara for the past month and a bit, and I still dislike it. The formula is still thick and clumps/sticks my lashes together. The mascara flakes off my lashes all day and I have to keep checking in the mirror to remove little black specks off my cheeks. Never had that issue before with other mascaras. Not worth the $$$