Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Not tested on animals

Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

I bought this product a long time ago along with a few of their powder foundations. I really had no use for it because I didn't need another finishing powder on top of powder foundation. I rediscovered this product recently and found a great way to use it. Because it's winter time right now, and my skin is on the drier side (especially on my cheeks), I am using a cream foundation (Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse). I usually set my foundation with MAC MSF Natural. But it started to look a little chalky because my skin is so dry right now. I realized that I needed a loose powder instead of a pressed powder to reduce the look of dryness and skin flakes. I saw the Finishing Dust on my counter and decided to dust a layer of it over my cream foundation. It doesn't give any more coverage, and is so finely milled that it doesn't accentuate bad skin texture or dryness. I've been wearing it everyday recently, and my mom even said that she thought my skin looked a lot healthier. Great affordable product if you use it with the right foundation.

on 9/5/2009 11:41:00 PM

I am a loyal Sheer Cover user for a year now , and I've always hated their ordering process and shipping fees. It's a rip off and the shipment is so confusing and inconsistent. After hearing the raves about this product on youtube, I decided to give it a try. I ordered samples for free and only paid $3.00 for shipping. The best part is, my package arrived in 3 business days!!

I tried the Winged Butter Original glo today with Finishing Dust and I am impressed!! I love how my skin looks and Finishing Dust made all the difference because it minimizes my pores especially on my nose. I am placing the full size order now.

UPDATE: This is making my skin too dry in the fall, I can't imagine using this in the winter.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to try this finishing powder to compare it to the other ones EM has in their line. I like the rice finishing powder, however the finishing dust doesn't seem to adhere to my skin. I only use half as much powder as I normally would, and it goes everywhere! It helps to set my makeup, but it's annoying that I would have a couple powder spots here and there and would need to brush it away.

on 12/22/2008 1:12:00 AM

this doesnt really do much for me
i sometimes forget to use it, but whether i remember or forget, i really dont notice a difference at all =/
my face still gets pretty oily by night time with or without the finishing dust & my makeup usually doesnt budge either so i really dont even know why i bother putting it on sometimes =/

wish i got a blush instead xD

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I got this as part of my set to set my foundation. Honestly, it did nothing for me. So I just kind of stopped using it.

on 6/30/2008 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This really finely milled powder did absolutely nothing about controlling the shine on my face. I had rather hoped it would keep me from getting shiney, but no. I had hoped it would make my makeup look better, but no. I had hoped it would do something, but no. I'm glad I only got a small size, since it didn't seem to have much effect at all. I'm hoping the start-to-finish powder does better for me. The is one of the few EM products I just really did not like.

on 3/31/2008 7:50:00 PM

This is my HG finishing powder! I tried the BE mineral veil before and it did almost nothing for my shine. To start, I have combination skin that gets very shiny around the T-zone. I used to have to powder my face a few times a day, but I would still be shiny within an hour. After using Finishing Dust however, my face almost never feels oily anymore, and I start to get shiny after around 4+ hours (which is pretty amazing for my skin). The powder looks light in the container, but goes on clear. It also provides a softening/airbrushed effect. My only complaint is that the powder is very fine and light, so when I apply it, a very small amount gets in my eyes. This shouldn't be a problem except that I have contacts and I have to take out my contacts and rinse them to completely remove the powder. I now close my eyes every time I use Finishing Dust and haven't had this problem as much. The occasional loose powder in the eyes though is completely worth the matte effect and shine controlling properties of this product. The fine grains also make the makeup fall through the sifter much easier than the foundations, resulting in too much build up on top of the sifter. The container does get a bit messy with use. I wish EM would make the sifter holes smaller for Finishing Dust, otherwise, I absolutely love what this product does to control my shine.

*EDIT* Now that I am nearing the bottom of this container, the powder does not spill out from the sifter quite as rapidly, and I realized that I was previously using too much. Because I am using less, I don't get loose powder in my eyes now. But I also noticed that I start to get shiny within 2 hrs now instead of 4, especially with the warm weather coming in. Nonetheless, I will stick with using finishing dust, as it provides the best results for me of any shine controlling powder I have found. Also, I have been using this for nearly 2 months now and have had no problems with breaking out. My skin has actually become clearer since switching to EM.

**EDIT again**
I tried the new EM start to finish powders, both the original and the rice one. I have found that they provide slightly better shine control than the finishing dust. It wasn't a huge difference, but I recommend trying out a sample if finishing dust isn't quite cutting it for you.

on 2/16/2008 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was surprised after reading the last couple reviews that said the Finishing Dust grains were too big. To me it is an extremely fine powder that is almost hard to work with! It took me a couple days to get used to applying it, but I think I've got it down and I absolutely love it! With the Finishing Dust and the EDM matte foundation, my oil is controlled well and it lasts longer. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for extra oil control.

on 1/14/2008 9:05:00 PM

I do not care much for this product. The granules are too big and when I apply it lightly after buffing the foundation it just sits on top and you could see every little white grain just hanging on top of my nose, as if I just stuck my head in a sack of flour. I am forced to use it though in winter because my beloved tinted silk dust started to dry out my skin a little.

on 1/12/2008 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

(Please see my pictures for a full-size before and after makeover of Everyday Minerals)

I have just recently switched to EM after cautiously reading and comparing EM to BE on this website. I have very oily skin, usually have to wipe off oil 1/2 way throughout my work day and again when I get home...which means I'm easily acceptable to acne.

I tried several rounds of the samples. It took a few times to figure out the best color on me and how to apply it. Here are my tips:

1) I still felt like I had to wipe oil off 1/2 through the day until I purchased the FINISHING DUST. This made a huge difference in cutting down the greasiness. (Just make sure you moisturize well, I imagine on dry skin it would make it really dry!)

2) A GOOD BRUSH MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I bought a cheap $5 brush at Ulta to try the samples and I finally ordered the flat-top Kabuki brush from EM's website. You will not find a cheaper, more awesome brush out there. This puts it on so flawless, I look airbrushed afterwards! I have NEVER experienced any make up like it before.

3) A little bit goes a long, long way! You can always apply more, so start out using a dab. The first time I tried the foundation on (I chose the wrong color which didn't help) I looked like the Hulk. My face looked like clay-mation. lol

4) I felt like the intense foundation was a bit too intense :)... so I just stick to matte shades and the Finishing Dust.

5) Don't be afraid to mix colors. I found out by trying several rounds of samples that my best foundation color is about 1/2 and 1/2 of Sandy Medium & Medium Summer. I love the mixing jar!

That's all I can think of right now...:).

I have to start by saying that I am usually a harsh critic but I can't say enough good things about EM. I have been fighting acne for as long as I can remember. For years I have been using Tinted Oxy as my foundation and Maybeline Shine Free pressed powder. I've been using EM for over a month now and I swear I think this stuff is making my face clear up...even when I forget to wash my face before I go to bed!

I'm such a dork now, I just love to put on my make up. I look forward to it every morning. I recommend taking my hints/advice and trying this today if you have skin similar to mine. I'm almost sad that they didn't offer this when I was in high school. I would've loved to have flawless skin back then.
continued >>