Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust

Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust

4.1

Not tested on animals

Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

on 1/12/2008 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

(Please see my pictures for a full-size before and after makeover of Everyday Minerals)

I have just recently switched to EM after cautiously reading and comparing EM to BE on this website. I have very oily skin, usually have to wipe off oil 1/2 way throughout my work day and again when I get home...which means I'm easily acceptable to acne.

I tried several rounds of the samples. It took a few times to figure out the best color on me and how to apply it. Here are my tips:

1) I still felt like I had to wipe oil off 1/2 through the day until I purchased the FINISHING DUST. This made a huge difference in cutting down the greasiness. (Just make sure you moisturize well, I imagine on dry skin it would make it really dry!)

2) A GOOD BRUSH MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I bought a cheap $5 brush at Ulta to try the samples and I finally ordered the flat-top Kabuki brush from EM's website. You will not find a cheaper, more awesome brush out there. This puts it on so flawless, I look airbrushed afterwards! I have NEVER experienced any make up like it before.

3) A little bit goes a long, long way! You can always apply more, so start out using a dab. The first time I tried the foundation on (I chose the wrong color which didn't help) I looked like the Hulk. My face looked like clay-mation. lol

4) I felt like the intense foundation was a bit too intense :)... so I just stick to matte shades and the Finishing Dust.

5) Don't be afraid to mix colors. I found out by trying several rounds of samples that my best foundation color is about 1/2 and 1/2 of Sandy Medium & Medium Summer. I love the mixing jar!

That's all I can think of right now...:).

I have to start by saying that I am usually a harsh critic but I can't say enough good things about EM. I have been fighting acne for as long as I can remember. For years I have been using Tinted Oxy as my foundation and Maybeline Shine Free pressed powder. I've been using EM for over a month now and I swear I think this stuff is making my face clear up...even when I forget to wash my face before I go to bed!

I'm such a dork now, I just love to put on my make up. I look forward to it every morning. I recommend taking my hints/advice and trying this today if you have skin similar to mine. I'm almost sad that they didn't offer this when I was in high school. I would've loved to have flawless skin back then.
continued >>

on 3/31/2008 7:50:00 PM

This is my HG finishing powder! I tried the BE mineral veil before and it did almost nothing for my shine. To start, I have combination skin that gets very shiny around the T-zone. I used to have to powder my face a few times a day, but I would still be shiny within an hour. After using Finishing Dust however, my face almost never feels oily anymore, and I start to get shiny after around 4+ hours (which is pretty amazing for my skin). The powder looks light in the container, but goes on clear. It also provides a softening/airbrushed effect. My only complaint is that the powder is very fine and light, so when I apply it, a very small amount gets in my eyes. This shouldn't be a problem except that I have contacts and I have to take out my contacts and rinse them to completely remove the powder. I now close my eyes every time I use Finishing Dust and haven't had this problem as much. The occasional loose powder in the eyes though is completely worth the matte effect and shine controlling properties of this product. The fine grains also make the makeup fall through the sifter much easier than the foundations, resulting in too much build up on top of the sifter. The container does get a bit messy with use. I wish EM would make the sifter holes smaller for Finishing Dust, otherwise, I absolutely love what this product does to control my shine.

*EDIT* Now that I am nearing the bottom of this container, the powder does not spill out from the sifter quite as rapidly, and I realized that I was previously using too much. Because I am using less, I don't get loose powder in my eyes now. But I also noticed that I start to get shiny within 2 hrs now instead of 4, especially with the warm weather coming in. Nonetheless, I will stick with using finishing dust, as it provides the best results for me of any shine controlling powder I have found. Also, I have been using this for nearly 2 months now and have had no problems with breaking out. My skin has actually become clearer since switching to EM.

**EDIT again**
I tried the new EM start to finish powders, both the original and the rice one. I have found that they provide slightly better shine control than the finishing dust. It wasn't a huge difference, but I recommend trying out a sample if finishing dust isn't quite cutting it for you.

This powder is fantastic. Sometimes I don't wear any make up but I brush this over my face. I always look great in pics when I have this powder on, my skin (with a little redness in the cheeks) always looks smooth and even. Never seems to wear off and sets the rest of my make up well when I do wear more.
You can't beat the price and the ingredients are healthy. I think this is a great company.

For reference: I'm using the original, non-tinted version. For foundation, I'm currently going back and forth between EDM Matte foundation in Buff Fairly Light Neutral and Sally Hansen/Carmindy in Ecru Beige.

Price: Pretty darn cheap. It could work out to around four or five bucks a pop, if you get the 12-piece kit and stock up (though I haven't actually gotten twelve at once... eight, though, yes!).

Packaging: More portable than my beloved Sally Hansen Loose Cornsilk powder, I can carry this around with me for touchups as needed. They recently added a swivel cover to their sifter jars, which definitely helps prevent spillage. Granted, it is a bit bulky, but I've also decanted it to an empty Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil sample jar for use when I know I'm going to be carrying a smaller bag.

Texture: Extremely finely milled, and feather-light. It's not only good as a setting powder, but also for touch-ups; it doesn't cake-up, and it's not so heavy that it rubs off my makeup (which tends to happen with a lot of powders on me, and is extremely annoying).

Look: Matte finish, but extremely fresh. It's easy for me to overdo the powder (darn that pesky combo skin), but this never actually looks as if I'm wearing powder-- just looks like great skin. Surprisingly, I actually think this works even better over top of my SH liquid than it does over EDM. Either way, though, I love the fact that it's versatile enough to work well over both liquid and mineral foundations, so that's a bonus in my book.

Will I repurchase? Yes, and have. I'm just fervently hoping that EDM never discontinues this! continued >>

on 2/16/2006 8:56:00 PM

This is Everyday Minerals (www.everydayminerals.com- fixed the typo :) equivalent of BE's famous Mineral Veil. I received this in my Everyday Minerals "Starter Kit" but on it's own you can buy this for $10 for 13g (more product than BE for 1/2 the price.) It is pure Zea Mays (Cornstarch- the same main ingredient as Mineral Veil) with no fillers, binders or preservatives (unlike Mineral Veil) which can irritate skin. In my comparison I found it to be almost the exact texture and consistency as Mineral Veil. Although Cornstarch based powders can cause bacteria to grow that causes break-outs (I have yet to experience this,) this is a great finishing powder for anyone with sensitive skin, an allergy to Talc, or who just prefers the finish (often describes as an air-brushed, soft focus finish) that a Cornstarch-based powders provide.

on 7/22/2008 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use the Sunlight Finishing Dust. I LOVE IT.

I used BE Mineral Veil before trying this product. And I really do love it and find that it works just as well or better than the Mineral Veil. The dust is very finely milled and it doesn't take much to work. One of the better benefits is that this shade of the Finishing Dust is more forgiving [so I'm told] than the regular finishing dust and it doesn't turn my face chalky or anything. Yet it is very translucent.

It is a vital part of my makeup routine and I feel it helps with oil-control. If you do not have issues with corn starch I highly recommend this product. I tried the Silk Dust and I found that it emphasized my pores, where this powder did not. It is soft and cool to the touch.

on 12/27/2007 10:29:00 AM

This is BY FAR the best finishing powder I have ever used. BE's Mineral Veil used to make me too chalky looking. EM Finishing Dust definitely makes me look airbrushed and flawless. It also prevents me from getting too shiny or oily without drying me out (and I have very dry skin). I seriously think it might be magical.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Finishing Dust is my favorite powder on the market. It looks beigy in the jar but goes on completely invisible. I was worried because I have very sensative skin and this is a Zea Mays (cornstarch) product, but I have had no problems whatsoever. Silk Dust went on white and left me shiny looking after a couple of hours, plus I could feel it on my skin. Finishing Dust makes me look airbrushed, lasts for hours, and I literally can't feel it on my face. EM jars can be a tad messy and a good quality brush is needed for even coverage, but this product is worth trying.

Con: Most mineral products are inorganic and last forever (basically)...Cornstarch is an organic product. Therefore, it needs to be replaced every 2-3 months and should not get wet (because organic things can grow mold).

on 9/5/2009 11:41:00 PM

I am a loyal Sheer Cover user for a year now , and I've always hated their ordering process and shipping fees. It's a rip off and the shipment is so confusing and inconsistent. After hearing the raves about this product on youtube, I decided to give it a try. I ordered samples for free and only paid $3.00 for shipping. The best part is, my package arrived in 3 business days!!

I tried the Winged Butter Original glo today with Finishing Dust and I am impressed!! I love how my skin looks and Finishing Dust made all the difference because it minimizes my pores especially on my nose. I am placing the full size order now.

UPDATE: This is making my skin too dry in the fall, I can't imagine using this in the winter.

on 9/2/2009 11:59:00 PM

This powder is the first mineral one that didn't make my face oily until I removed all my makeup (not that I wear alot). I didn't like the BE one, because after a while, it made my skin look really oily. If you like shiny makeup that slightly looks oily then BE powder might work for you. Today was the first I tried this for the whole day and it worked well. I think the price is okay for the quality but I don't like the container. Powder goes everywhere after each use. I will update for further review of the product..
9/16/09EDIT: still lovin' it =) ladies, if you have dehydrated combo skin like me, try this!