Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo

3.5

Not tested on animals

*original* Awapuhi shampoo (not the Wild Ginger awapuhi): Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone/Hedychium Coronarium (White Ginger), PEG 12 Dimethicone, Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone/Algae, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Anthemis Nobilis) (Chamomila), Henna Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba), Rosmarinus Officinalis, PEG-12 Dimethicone (Rosemary), Glycol Stearate, PEG 14M, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I tried this many years ago and wasn't very impressed, I didn't feel it was worth paying for it in the only little town salon that carried and overpriced it, and main order wasn't an option (it was a really long time ago, the early 90's.) This summer I decided to give it another try because I like anything that can be used for more than one use, and this creamy wash can be used for both shampoo and body wash. It isn't moisturizing enough for my hair or body to skip any kind of conditioner or moisturizer, but it certainly isn't drying either. I have been paring it with "the conditioner" (which is multiple use too) and finding the duo working quite nice. My husband loves it and as we both have been paring down the number of different products we buy and use, we now enjoy having it in the shower as our only body & hair wash.

on 12/29/2016 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Smells like baby powder. Cleans well, easy to rinse out. Most of Pauls shampoos are very low to no lather but this has a good lather to it. I try many shampoos but always fall back to paul mitchell products. I can not say one bad thing about his shampoos

on 12/11/2016 4:52:00 PM

This review is for the original Awapuhi shampoo as pictured (not the Wild Ginger awapuhi in the black bottle, which is sulfate free & I hated). This shampoo does have sulfates, and it's formulated properly to be cleansing and lightly conditioning at the same time, but it doesn't leave year hair feeling over conditioned. The lather is silky, doesn't tangle my fine wavy hair in the shower, and it has a lovely light tropical floral scent. This shampoo and the moisture mist have been around forever, I hope they never change. This shampoo works well on my hair type, not sure how it would be for thicker/ dryer hair types. It's pricey, but I have found Sally's GVP version is also good and costs about half. Love this shampoo.

on 7/23/2016 11:45:00 PM

Smells great and makes my scalp feel really clean. No complaints.

This is a great shampoo. I have not used it in many years as it is expensive but sometimes I can get it in gift sets. It smells good and makes my hair shiny and clean.

on 4/15/2016 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this shampoo! I think I have finally found my go to shampoo after searching for years. It makes my thin, fine hair very clean but still soft. I used to use aveda rosemary mint but found that it seemed to dry out my hair.

on 12/7/2015 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have been using this shampoo on and off since I was 15, back when I used to borrow my Mom's shampoo. I have tried many, many other shampoos over the years and I always come back to this one. I love the smell and the way it lathers. I would say this is the perfect shampoo for normal hair. It leaves my hair clean but does not strip the moisture out.

on 10/4/2015 5:29:00 AM

I love the awapuhi ginger smell I pair this with the detangler and wash hair daily I have black color treated hair this keeps it clean and smelling the only sad part is I have just found these I have been using cap for years never again though we'll worth the money and it doubles as a body wash that my hubby loves

on 4/9/2015 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have semi-permanent, coloured, black/blue hair and found that other shampoos for colour treated hair cause my scalp and skin to break out in bumps and hives. The other shampoos I've tried (Oribe Beautiful Colour Shampoo, Schwarzkopf) leave a film-like coating and tend to be too highly perfumed. I often feel like I need to wash my hair the next day because my hair feels greasy.

The Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo with rich sulphate-free lather, in contrast, leaves my hair gently well-cleansed, nourished and nicely scented without weighing it down at all. Sulphate-free and richly lathering = love. The conditioner is fantastic as well. I also really like that the 250 ml version comes in an inverted tube with a flip-top cap. I use this with the Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Cream Rinse 2 to 3 times a week.

on 2/10/2015 1:09:00 AM

This isn't as good as I thought, it has a scent which is fine. The bottle is black and sleek. The shampoo lathers good for being sulfate free, but I can't say I notice anything different from when I use a drugstore shampoo or conditioner, in fact drugstore is much better and moisturizing. The shampoo is shampoo, nothing extraordinary it's not worth the 20 something dollars. I have fine but a lot of hair, which is frizzy, the conditioner doesn't moisturize. It just feels as you're putting a meaningless product in your hair.

Popular Shampoos