Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo

3.5

Not tested on animals

9/19/18 ORIGINAL: Aqua (Water, Eau), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MIPA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Hedychium Coronarium (White Ginger) Flower/Leaf/ Stem Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Algae Extract, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Glycol Stearate, PEG-14M, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my go to for clarifying my hair. To begin, I want to mention that I have Asian hair that is generally straight, medium in coarseness that is highly resistant to curling and fine, but lots of it. I have used the Biolage clarifying and also Redken’s cleansing cream. Redken’s is wonderful if you use a lot of product because it really does a great job clarifying. I minimally use hair styling products because my hair doesn’t like anything but to be straight, so Redken was effective BUT dried out my hair to a point of greasiness. When I use the Awapuhi, it gives it that delicate balance of a clarified clean feel but just enough moisture to my scalp that it does not make it greasy. When I air dry my hair, it feels silky, not weighed down, and is full of bounce. I switch back and forth between this and the Paul Mitchell Tea tree special because I hate the feeling of oiliness in my hair but still get that clean feel. The combination with the Paul Mitchell shampoos and Sebastian Penetraitt conditioner have been the best combination for me. When I get my hair trimmed, my stylist always compliments me on the health of my hair and I don’t get a lot of split ends. For reference, I have tried brands from Biolage, AG, Joico, Alterna, Pureology, Matrix, Redken, TiGi S factor, and most of the drugstore shampoo brands. I may stray at times but will always come back to this combination, which I have used for more than 5 years!

on 11/24/2017 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought the 3.4 oz. size in Ulta to try it - great to have that option. Have only used it a few times so far but this might be my new shampoo HG. I definitely plan to purchase full size when this runs out. My hair is color treated, fine, thinning a little in back, and slightly wavy and hard to manage. Most shampoos are either too drying, leaving me with frizzy ends, or too moisturizing, leaving my fine hair limp and without body. This one hits the just right sweet spot - my hair looks full, is easy to style, and feels soft but not limp. And I love the smell.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I tried this many years ago and wasn't very impressed, I didn't feel it was worth paying for it in the only little town salon that carried and overpriced it, and main order wasn't an option (it was a really long time ago, the early 90's.) This summer I decided to give it another try because I like anything that can be used for more than one use, and this creamy wash can be used for both shampoo and body wash. It isn't moisturizing enough for my hair or body to skip any kind of conditioner or moisturizer, but it certainly isn't drying either. I have been paring it with "the conditioner" (which is multiple use too) and finding the duo working quite nice. My husband loves it and as we both have been paring down the number of different products we buy and use, we now enjoy having it in the shower as our only body & hair wash.

on 12/29/2016 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Smells like baby powder. Cleans well, easy to rinse out. Most of Pauls shampoos are very low to no lather but this has a good lather to it. I try many shampoos but always fall back to paul mitchell products. I can not say one bad thing about his shampoos

on 12/11/2016 4:52:00 PM

This review is for the original Awapuhi shampoo as pictured (not the Wild Ginger awapuhi in the black bottle, which is sulfate free & I hated). This shampoo does have sulfates, and it's formulated properly to be cleansing and lightly conditioning at the same time, but it doesn't leave year hair feeling over conditioned. The lather is silky, doesn't tangle my fine wavy hair in the shower, and it has a lovely light tropical floral scent. This shampoo and the moisture mist have been around forever, I hope they never change. This shampoo works well on my hair type, not sure how it would be for thicker/ dryer hair types. It's pricey, but I have found Sally's GVP version is also good and costs about half. Love this shampoo.

on 7/23/2016 11:45:00 PM

Smells great and makes my scalp feel really clean. No complaints.

This is a great shampoo. I have not used it in many years as it is expensive but sometimes I can get it in gift sets. It smells good and makes my hair shiny and clean.

on 4/15/2016 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this shampoo! I think I have finally found my go to shampoo after searching for years. It makes my thin, fine hair very clean but still soft. I used to use aveda rosemary mint but found that it seemed to dry out my hair.

on 12/7/2015 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have been using this shampoo on and off since I was 15, back when I used to borrow my Mom's shampoo. I have tried many, many other shampoos over the years and I always come back to this one. I love the smell and the way it lathers. I would say this is the perfect shampoo for normal hair. It leaves my hair clean but does not strip the moisture out.

on 10/4/2015 5:29:00 AM

I love the awapuhi ginger smell I pair this with the detangler and wash hair daily I have black color treated hair this keeps it clean and smelling the only sad part is I have just found these I have been using cap for years never again though we'll worth the money and it doubles as a body wash that my hubby loves