Serge Lutens Fleurs D' Oranger

Serge Lutens Fleurs D' Oranger

3.6

on 3/23/2017 12:33:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I love a variety of perfumes and usually buy lots of samples, enjoying many types of scents. I finally broke down and purchased a full-sized bottle of Fleurs D'Oranger because I realized I was frequently using up the samples and ordering more samples to replace them.

This is a warm, creamy floral. It's not really a summer floral - it's far too serious for that (perhaps due to the traces of cumin?) - but evokes roundabout memories of summer when you simply cannot stand one more day of frigid temperatures and the never-ending gray skies of winter. I love the smell of this on my winter sweaters; it provides a certain warmth on those miserable days.

For summers, I prefer a more lighthearted, more airy scent. I don't think I'll be using it for summer. Houbigant's Orangers En Fleurs is probably more fitting for summery orange flowers and tuberose, but the scent of Houbigant's take on orange flowers, although lovely in its own way, doesn't seem to last very long. Too bad because it is a more fun and less serious version of orange flowers.

Fleurs D'Oranger is a very long-lasting scent. It makes a big, dramatic entrance, so you might want to go easy. As it dries down it starts to stay a little closer to the skin but it's always there.

Even on laundry days, you go to put your sweaters or sweatshirts in the laundry and you catch a whiff of a pretty floral. "What smells so good?", you ask yourself. Then you remember - it's what remains of the Fleurs D'Oranger that lingers pleasantly on clothing.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This was a total surprise to me after reading the reviews - I got just a little cumin which adds complexity and it dries down in the most incognito way. It's a great "sneaky" scent

on 12/30/2015 3:31:00 PM

This smells like a warm, sunshine-y day when you're a kid, tramping around the neighborhood, without a care in the world. When I was young, I got lost playing outside in an upstate NY city, it was July and the side street I ended up on reminded me of the Greek island my mother is from: whitewashed buildings, the sun beating down on the errant flowers blooming wherever they could, pressing their scent into the air. This perfume evokes that vibe for me very vividly.

It is just lovely. At first it has a bit of sharpness, then it mellows and warms, wrapping itself around your senses. A beautifully sweet, creamy, balanced composition. Very feminine and innocent, yet ripe with, like, the earth's bounty. I prefer this in the winter simply for the nostalgia factor (summer is for my sandalwoods).

Fleurs D' Oranger is not my normal steez but I am definitely saving up for a full bottle.

on 7/4/2016 11:11:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I first smelled this 10 years ago and was entranced. Recently bought it and was pretty much disgusted. Either my nose has changed or the formulation has changed. It's crass and synthetic. I can't give up on it so keep splashing whatever I have available over top top to try and make it okay. Nothing works. I wish I could get my money back.

on 2/3/2015 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Last year I was in search of a true orange blossom scent and ended up with the Jo Malone offering which was lovely albeit very transparent and fleeting. Fleurs d'Oranger is a even more realistc and a totally different animal. Honeyed orange blossom and tuberose make a quite potent scent, sweet and sunny. Maybe a bit much for me to wear regularly but certainly gets thumbs up.

on 10/3/2015 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

UPDATE: a single dab is potent, dramatic, dusky, rich, almost too much for springtime.

------

I have a manufacturers mini of fleurs de oranger (sometimes if you order from the SL website, they offer miniatures). It's a spicy big decadent floral - orange blossom, white jasmine, tuberose, rose with honey, cumin, nutmeg. The dry down is on the gourmand side of sweet. Agree with Wentworthroth that there is a popcorn undercurrent - I assume caramel popcorn. But, it's not nearly as objectionable here, IMO, as it is in SL jeau de Peux. It's rich, heavy, sweet; even a dab is too much. I touch the stopper to one wrist. Indolic Mothball almost peeks out, but manages not to reveal itself totally. On my skin chemistry, no hint of body odor, but I garner many compliments when I wear two fragrances that also contain problematic ingredients like cumin, namely Une Fleur de Cassie and Bigarade Concentree. If you want a more straightforward white floral from SL, I would suggest A La Nuit ( predominantly Jasmine) or Fleurs de Cellophane, a fresh green mixed white floral.

If you like this type of fragrance, well, it is a very crowded field. I am honestly not sure why this would be so well rated in comparison to Guerlain Mahora, a big voluptuous tuberose with a soft Amber sandalwood dry down ( that is not gourmand), which can be bought for a relatively reasonable price on line, but this is not the usual type of fragrance I wear.

My grandmother, who disdained historic vintage fragrances that I adore (like Mitsouko and Vintage Tabac Blonde and Knize Ten) loved scents like Caron Narcisse Noire, Joy, then later DVF Tatiana and then, L'eau de Issey. . . .she would have liked this fragrance very much.

on 1/3/2014 9:23:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse

I got my Fleurs d'Oranger by accident, but it turned out to be a happy one. I've never been one for Big White Florals, but this one is more sunny yellow than white, and has a definite Mediterranean flavour with the rich orange blossom and jasmine notes and a hint of Middle East with warm spices. I love to wear this on dark and gloomy weather, because it takes me instantly to sunshine and warm breeze.

This scent is just dripping with gorgeousness. I try not to buy fragrances until I've really thought it over but HAVE to get a full size bottle of this stuff tout suite.

I like Jo Malone Orange Blossom and Robert Piguet Fracas and never would have thought that orange blossom and tuberose could coexist so beautifully, but they DO in this one, probably because Serge Lutens is brilliant. I've also been hella depressed lately and this is picking me up out of the funk a little bit, so that's cool.

Definitely recommend trying it if you get a chance.

on 12/6/2013 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I had read many mixed reviews on this scent but I love neroli so I had to try it for myself. Scent is so personal so it was only fair. The first spritz and yes, it was very strong but the alcohol disappeared and it was so much better. It is so warm and rich that it is one of my winter scents. Its just too much for warmer months. There is quite a bit of sillage and it lasts for hours on me. I have hours of warm rich neroli with a touch gardenia. I love it.

on 6/20/2014 12:34:00 PM

I tried this on in a department store but when I found out that it was 95 euros for 50mls I decided to buy it online for only 55 euros. It smells better after a few hours but the first hour I get a wiff of body odour mixed with orange blossom. Dont get me wrong I do like the perfume but not in the first hour until it settles. It has good staying power and does smell better as the day goes on. Now I know that I can buy Serge Luten online at nearly half price I wont bother forking out for the same perfume in a store when I can get it much cheaper.
I like Serge Luten perfumes as not everyone wears them (probably due to the price!)

Popular Fragrances