Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser

Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser

3.8

Water, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Ppg-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide, Polysorbate 20, Peg-16 Soy Sterol, Citric Acid, Feverfew Extract, Soybean Protein, Sodium Cocoyl Amino Acids, Sarcosine, Potassium Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Coco Pg-Dimonium Chloride, Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Tetrasodium Edta, Methylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I originally purchased this after my normally bulletproof skin had a bad reaction to makeup removing wipes purchased at TJ Maxx. Ugh.

Anyway, I recently revisited it because I’ve still got it so why not.

I’m so impressed with this cleanser. Calming and gentle aside (and I can’t truly speak to those attributes) this foam really gets my face clean. After washing with this I go over with a cotton pad and Bioderma Micellar water. The pad comes virtually clean, other than possibly some mascara. And I wear A LOT of makeup.

So...yeah. This is good.

My skin used to be a lot more oily, but over time its normalized and this is there perfect. I have very reactive skin, and this is gentle enough to fight off acne without stripping away the skin's natural oils. Most drugstore washes are overkill for me, since they're meant for those with very oily and acne-prone. I only have acne once a month, so this is perfect. Love the foaming cooling sensation. Great product for my skincare regimen (feels great after my occasional exfoliation sessions). Highly recommended for anyone with normal skin who has occasional breakouts and doesn't want anything too harsh.

on 4/13/2017 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This fits into its own category for me.
Usually gentle cleansers have a lotion texture and don't rinse off easily, leaving a bit of a film on the skin.
Stronger cleansers are very clean rinsing, but can be drying.
This cleanser is gentle, but truly rinses clean leaving no film on the skin, but not stripping every bit of oil off and leaving skin tight.
The foamy texture is easy to work with, and I will continue to buy.

On the hunt for a new face wash, I stumbled across this one. I like it so far. It rinses clean, the pump isn't messy, and it doesn't break me out. You don't get a lot in the bottle, which is annoying, but I would repurchase...

on 4/13/2017 7:11:00 PM

I was hoping my first review on here would be a positive one for a product that worked for my skin, but sadly that was not to be. I did, however, feel like I should write a review of the Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser to hopefully warn away others. I was using a different cleanser, the Avene Cleansing Foam, which wasn't making me break out terribly, but which was slightly drying. I was hoping the Aveeno would be better, but nope! It was not only drying, but it caused breakouts including a big, fat red subsurface one on my chin that isn't going to be pretty when it comes to a head. I know it wasn't the moisturizer I've been using because I've used it for awhile and got some breakouts with it, but nothing major. I should have stuck with the Avene. So unfortunately I am another cautionary tale for the Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cleansing foam. I would strongly advise steering clear if you are in any way break out prone.

The price ($13.99 in Canada) and packaging are decent, but those hardly matter if the main product causes bad breakouts. I was swayed by the mostly positive reviews, but wanted to add my negative review to hopefully deter others from making the same mistake I did that I now deeply regret.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have really sensitive and picky skin and it's so clog prone, to boot. I've probably tried every cleanser out there, I was at my wit's end, truly. Then I got this, expecting zero. And what a lovely surprise! It gets my face clean but without that tight and dry gross feeling and no residue. Also, no irritation or breakouts from this either. I've repurchased over and over and will continue to do so.

on 4/7/2017 3:58:00 PM

My dermatologist recommended Aveeno Ultra Calming Cleanser in late 2015. I have been trying to work my way through the bottle for over a year now and haven't managed to get through it. It leaves my skin feeling tight and is too drying to use with any regularity. I do like the pump applicator and the fact that there isn't a strong fragrance. But at this point my limited experience with the Aveeno brand — most recently to include their BB cream, reviewed separately — is that they are overrated. For a foamy consistency I will say that this product lasts a surprisingly long while; however, I can't say I will repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

After trying different types of makeup removing wipes and regular fash wash, this is the only thing I've found that will remove all my makeup (particularly the waterproof stuff) COMPLETELY. The fact that there's a removable plastic cap to put over the pump just makes it better since it's easier to travel with, without having to worry about spills all over the inside of a bag.

on 10/29/2016 11:20:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I will first talk about the pluses of this for me. I like the pump, one pump of this is sufficient and convenient and easy. The price is obviously also appealing. However, the minuses for me with this make this a no-go. I had closed comedones while using this. Oh were they painful. This also has a strong floral(?) scent to this. I just do not want something so heavvily scented on my skin, let alone a cleanser. I did not think Aveeno would be scented, but it sure is. Not sure if it is meant to be floral scent or what, but it is definitely scented. Also left my skin feeling a little dry and tight, another aspect I was not expecting from something named 'ultra-calming'. Ended up using this as a hand soap and even eventually ended up throwing this away because the scent was so weird and un-appealing. I guess I just expected this to be truly fragrance-free or at the very least have a very minimal barely detectable scent to this, and the scent of this is quite potent for me. Plus being this made my face break out into painful closed comedones, this was a fail product for me.

This is a lovely face wash for when you want a gentle, easy, non irritating cleanse without stripping your skin. It rinses off easily because it's a foam and it's so gentle that I can use it to remove my eye makeup with zero irritation around the eyelids. And it fully removes all traces of the makeup. Although if you are wearing heavier makeup like waterproof mascara or liquid liner I would of course recommend a makeup wipe beforehand, as with any other face wash. Bottom line, I like that it's incredibly gentle and non-stripping but does a very good job of cleaning skin and erasing makeup. It's not the deepest cleaning face wash (obviously) so you may need something more aggressive if you have acne or very oily skin. Still, for what it is and what it claims to do it succeeds entirely and I have no complaints. I would definitely repurchase.