MAC Fluidline Eye-Liner Gel in Blitz and Glitz

MAC Fluidline Eye-Liner Gel in Blitz and Glitz

4.4

Ahhhmazing!! As a blonde with hazel/green eyes and light/medium skin tone, (currently more medium since its summer) black eyeliner tends to look way to harsh on me. I'm tired of wearing black/brown, which on another note is so hard to find one that isn't straight up brown.. and greys, purples and greens are great and all, but I really wanted an eyeliner that was almost but not quite black. Enter blitz and glitz! At first glance I wasn't to sure about the tiny bits of glitter/sparkle in it, but decided to try it anyway, and, wow, it's freaking amazing! It's the perfect off black, with the most subtle olive/gold shimmer **& not glittery at all, thank god!** The formula and staying power is fantastic (obviously, it's MAC!) and I am so glad I decided to purchase it because it's officially my absolutely favorite <33

A good tip: storing this (as well as all cream/gel) products will prevent them from drying out!

I'm a bit sad that I was disappointed with this eyeliner, seeing as it's so hyped up on here. I was ready to be just as excited too. Don't get me wrong - it's really pretty and versatile, and MAC's Fluidline gel liners are basically my favorite formula of all eyeliners I've ever tried, but I just wanted to write a review for others out there who may be unsure of whether or not they wanna buy this, and so I'm able to help them out.

So, from what I gathered online in terms of pictures of swatches, Blitz & Glitz is a soft black shot through with dense, but very tiny particles of gold shimmer. It almost gave it a deep bronzed olive kind of color, which I was very excited for. It is true that if you smudge the liner, it reveals more of the gold sheen, which is very pretty, however it's strange how it totally disappears on the eyes even though it shows when you swatch it on your hands.

I sort of disagree with describing this as a soft black. It's almost more charcoal. It's not quite grey, but it's absolutely nowhere close to how dark Blacktrack is. Think of the L'Oreal Silkissime in Charcoal and it's kind of like that, but with tiny hints of the gold instead of silver.

I wouldn't repurchase this simply because I know I'll hardly get any use out of this pot anyway. I imagine it'd be gorgeous laid underneath a shimmery eyeshadow and smoked out, but on it's own it is somewhat boring. If you're looking for a softer alternative to black that still has impact, I'd recommend going with something like Bobbi Brown's Caviar Ink instead. I hope this helps anyone who may have been confused.

To Read all 280 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/18/2015 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I usually only write reviews about products I either love or hate. This falls into the former category. I love love love it. I have never had much luck with liquid liners but bought this in an online splurge in France (for some reason mac is cheaper there than in Australia). I have been using it every day for about four months and can report the following:

Ease of use:
I had to get used to it, and coughed up about $30 for the mac brow brush. I was somewhat iffy about this advice from the mac guy in the Melbourne myer store but he assured me that it would make application easier for gel liner newbies and achieving the cat's eye look. He said to apply the product to both sides of the brush and he was quite right. I found the easiest way to apply was just starting on the upper lash line, building for extra blitz and glitz, then using the contour if the brush to create the flicked up look at the corners, literally just put the angle of the brush and blend a bit. I have found this approach to be less prone to disasters and quite consistent results rather than trying an all in one gest movement.

Wear and tear : to be honest, this product is unbelievable. i apply it at 6am, go to work, the gym at lunch, get home sometimes at 10:30pm and it doesn't budge! It also doesn't smudge onto the brow line like most eyeliners do. If you go at it and start rubbing at your eyes, of course it will come off, but if you're like me and avoid the eyes during the day, it will be your trusty friend until you remove it at night.

Removal: i use a clarins eye makeup remover, and it wipes right off. Not what i was expecting considering its staying power.

Storage : i store it upside-down, not that i have a problem with it drying out, but because i read another users comments and thought it couldn't hurt.

Other than that, make sure you get a good brush as an investment and clean it at least every couple of uses due to product build up. Im 4 months into my first pot and haven't really used all that much.

I recommend this product and will buy again and again. 😊

Edit 18 December 2015

I have been using this for almost a year. Still going strong, lasting until you take it off. I still have about 1 third of the pot left and use it every day.

The storing upside-down is not a myth, i checked with MAC and it is best to store that way to keep it from drying out. I reaffirm that I will keep buying. No more pencils for me, not even Dior. Best. Liner. Ever.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is my only gel/cream type eyeliner and it gets a fair bit of use but I am not wowed by it. I liked the idea of it being a bit softer and more interesting than plain black but I can't see any of the gllitter on my eyes which is a shame. I also find that my flicks melt somewhat towards the end of the day although this is strongly influenced by weather (hot=melted liner) and what other products I've used as my mineralize concealer causes the worst smudging. Overall I think I will use it up but I am put off from buying anymore fluid lines.

on 11/1/2014 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I reach for this liner several times a week. It is easy to feather out into a very natural line; a deep color but not quite black. Easiest application method I've found is with an angled brush or bent liner brush.

Pros:
* creamy; easy to apply
* lovely deep grey color with some sparkle
* can be applied sheer or opaque
* buildable
* smudgeable
* easy to fix mistakes if attempted right away
* does not need to be set with shadow
* very generous amount of product

Cons:
* needs to be stored upside-down to stay creamy
* once set it cannot be easily fixed

on 11/15/2013 11:28:00 AM

I love this eyeliner. I have a few other fluidlines since before. Since I'm a pale blonde I was afraid of trying a black eyeliner thinking it would look harsh but this one works excellent. Fantastic quality and staying power, easy application... Everything is great. Would definitely repurchase!

on 8/24/2013 11:12:00 AM

UPDATE: Still madly in love this liner! I now wear it with a creamy golden beige neutral and my brown eyes looks SO DAMN SEXY! They look bright, yet dark and sultry (no smokey eyes needed here). That subtle touch of gold flecs is the magic. I don't ever want to wear plain black liner again. When I did go back to BB Black Ink, I realized it looked soooo heavy on my eyes (the solid black) and it transferred to my under eye area like crazy! I never had this problem with B&G.

ORIGINAL POST: This is my first fluidline...of course I am in love with the product for all the reasons everyone has said. I am an eyeliner (especially liquid) novice, this gel feels so easy to apply. I use the Sonia Kashuk bent liner brush. As for the color, it is exactly what I wanted. Not a harsh black, but a softer black with gold shimmer (that beautifully brings out the brown/gold in my brown eyes). I avoided a brown color because my lashes are so dark, sometimes I feel like it is unnoticeable. B&G gave me the best of both worlds...the golden shimmer to bring out my eye color and the black to emphasize my already dark lashes. You can apply lightly for all day and lay it on for evening. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

FYI - I never line my lower lashes with any thing other than a light shade like Rimmel Taupe (if I line them at all) due to my dark circles, so I can't speak to wear on the lower lash lin

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have used this for years as a alternative to black. It gives more definition than grey but not as harsh as black now that I am older and need something less stark. It wears well but I will say that there as been a lot of variation in the pots that I have used over the years. Sometimes they are smooth and creamy other times they have been dry and harder to apply.

Overall I would recommend this for anyone wanting a dramatic eyeliner but not as dark as regular black.

on 3/20/2013 4:23:00 AM

Blitz and Glitz was my first MAC fluidline and first gel liner. I really liked this product. Just like the rest of the fluidlines: very easy to apply, lasts long, etc.

I apply fluidline gel with the MAC 266 brush or elf angled eyeliner brush. I still slightly prefer applying with the 266, bc I think it picks up and applies the fluidline better.

The black in this is more of a brown-black than true black, so does give a slightly softer look. The little sparkles are fun and are not very obvious on your eyes, but more subtle. This product a fun alternative to try from simple black eyeliner.

MAC Fluidline is my HG gel eyeliner. I got my jar of Blitz and Glitz in 2009 and it has lasted me over three years. A year later I picked up Rich Ground. Both apply really smoothly. I've had my jar of Delphic for four an a half years. This colour doesn't stand out on my medium complexion on its own so I use mainly for my waterline with Blitz and Glitz on my lash line.

Up until recently, Fluidline has been the only eyeliner that has stayed put all day on my combination/oily skin even on hot humid summer days!

The liner layers on thin and subtle or thick and bold (depending on the look I'm going for) with an angled eyeliner brush. I can also change the look by layering eyeshadow on top of the liner as well.

The downside of this eyeliner is that is it a gel and you have to use a brush. It can be a bit time consuming for early mornings before work. For that reason, I've recently discovered Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes pencils which give me a similar look but take much less time to apply. (I'm not a morning person, lol). However, when I'm not in a rush, The look and longevity of Fluidline is totally worth the effort!

I gave Fluidline a 2 for packaging because the jars are made of glass and I've dropped and cracked one of my jars a few times. The poor jar is covered in tape :(