MAC Cosmetics Skinfinish-Stereo Rose

4.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

PREMISE: *Sigh* You know, I really got to stop watching YouTube. It makes me want things that I might otherwise pass on. (Again, read my Flurry of Fun review.) The sad part is that in my "real" life, I rarely succumb to peer pressure and yet, when it comes to makeup, I can't seem to stop myself from jumping on the bandwagon. PRODUCT REVIEW: It's coral. I like coral. I don't love coral, though. So why the hell did I pay $28 for something I just "like"? It's pretty, but in some light it reminds me of mineralized version Marine Life sans the gold overspray (and oh how I loath Marine Life). When the MA put SR on my freckled cheeks, it looked nice, but nothing special. I have other blushes that I adore more than this. (And it doesn't appear to be anything that couldn't be duped with a mineralized blush and highlighter.) ANALYSIS: So why did I buy it if it's just ok? It's that whole "limited edition" factor. I had the same conversation I had with myself when I saw the Alice in Wonderland BOS at Sephora. "Everyone wants this so it must be great. It's so limited, I am gonna be kicking myself in butt if I don't get it now." All of sudden, the "okay" looking coral blush became a "must have." PROFOUND QUESTION: With that said, I don't want to return this because I am not sure what MAC does with returned products, and I would hate to see such a desired item end up in the dump. (This riddle is much like that of socks in the dryer: Does anyone know where returned MAC products go?) ACTION PLAN: I am gonna put this up for swap and see if I can get hard to find items on my wishlist. If in a few months I don't swap for this for something I adore, I will use it. Stereo Rose is not horrible, just not wonderful. BOTTOM LINE: Dear Stereo Rose, I was in lust with you earlier today. You gave me heart palputations and flushed cheeks. What more could a girl ask for? Those moments of passion have proved to be fleeting, as lust often is. Stereo Rose, my little coral butterfly, I am going to send you out into the world in the hopes that you find someone to love you the way I can't. And if in the end, you remain with me, then I guess it was meant to be....Not to ruin the poetry of this moment, but I have to make this clear: If you do stick around, Stereo Rose, don't be mad if Light Flush gets a lot more action than you do! :)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I am very disappointed with this product. This re promoted version of stereo rose is very subtle, sheer,shimmery peach/ pink, and barely shows up on my nw 35 skin color. This blush is almost a dupe of mac Porcelain Pink. I don't think this MSF looks coral whatsoever . However, surprisingly mac petticoat from this collection (in the groove)looks more coral than this MSf. I also noticed that Mac has decreased the dome size of their msfs in the collection. The dome is not as full, as if you already used your msf 4-5x when only its been used 1x. MAC, you got me again with this hype all for nothing! hahaha. I also forgot to mention, there is not a lot of veining in this product (0-2 veining lines max) and that is what changes the products color depending on how much veining you get in the stereo rose.
UPDATE: I put a pic of the new stereo rose from the in the groove collection it is the 3RD PIC. It has only been swatch 1x

So today is the 9th of July. The In The Groove collection was released on the 1st July. I wasn't too bothered about getting a Stereo Rose, and I certainly wasn't going to run around looking for one. Anyway, I went to my MAC today to pick up the Love To Love trio, and lo and behold, my MAC wasn't sold out of SR. Online was sold out, ebay was awash with people selling them for an outrageous 40. And there it was sitting and staring at me. After more than a week. So of course, I bought one (the last one as it happened). When I got it home, I tried it on my face. It was too orange, too shimmery and a bit dirty on my fair skin. I didn't see what the hype was about. I thought about keeping it and trying to make it work, or just keeping it for the sake of having it. But then I thought about all the poor souls who had been waiting two years for a Stereo Rose. So, being the good make-up samaritan that I am, I plonked it on ebay for a mere 20 ($30) and it sold within 10 minutes. So now, someone who's been waiting for this repromote for the last two years gets a Stereo Rose to love, and I've done my good deed for the day. Hooray for Oxford being such a backwards place that you can get such hyped product when you stroll in a week later!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

It looks really good in the pan but it barely came out on my nc44-45 skin. I really wanted to use it as a blush because its a pretty colour, but it barely showed up on my skin, so i loaded it up and layered it on, when it finally showed up it was really frosty (because I had to use so much) very light pink/red colour. It didn't look good on me, it looked patchy and frosty. I could make it work by using it over a blush, but its not worth it for 19.50 just for that purpose. I already have by candlight and beauty powder in shell pearl for that. However I think it would look amazing on lighter skin tones, it would be less frosty (when i applied it lightly it gave a sheen not frost effect) and more pigmented.

I just tried the repromoted Stereo Rose and it doesn't seem as good as the original release Stereo Rose. Although it is very smooth, silky and buttery, it seems more pale and frosty/chalky. I wonder if they changed their formula for the worse? I do know that colors may vary depending on veining. The one I tried was frosty pale peach, not coral.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Somehow the "would you buy this product again?" is funny to me considering the frenzy that accompanied the release and the fact that many who wanted the product couldn't even purchase One. Lol.

I had convinced myself I didn't need it and then the day before release at counters I decided to give in to the hysteria. I had to call a few counters in my area to track one down and at my last stop was told I snagged the last one at that particular counter. I had it shipped to me at home and anxiously awaited its arrival. During that agonizing 4 day wait I thought of it...arriving broken, having been accidently sold to another customer (as happened quite a bit according to the boards), or the S.A. "mistakenly" putting the wrong shade msf in the box to be shipped. Much to my relief stereo rose showed up at my door, unscathed and happy to be home.

It's a gorgeous glowy coral blush on me (NC30ish at the moment) and if I get any darker this summer I can see that it would be a lovely highlight. I don't regret tracking this baby down at all and I can see why it was so loved on its last release however it still doesn't merit the current asking price on ebay. I wouldn't pay over retail for it. I can appreciate what a beautiful blush it is but at the end of the day it's still Just a makeup product.

If you *still* have the opportunity to pick this up then go for it but don't lose any sleep on the boards here if you don't. Retails for just under $30.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

While this looks pretty in the compact it doesn't look all that great on my face. It looks like any other coral blush with a slight metallic sheen. I don't hate it or love it and have to be selective about when I want to wear it. If I do a slight dusting of it, it looks ok, when I get a little heavy handed it starts to look muddy. I don't have this problem with other coral blushes.

So yea, that's me not understanding the whole hype with this product. Maybe someday in the future I may dig it out of my drawer and love it.

After missing out on Stereo Rose the first time and with all the hype that Marine Life and Ripe Peach got, I made sure to get my hands on this baby this time around. I have to say, I think this product lives up to the hype, although I do wish MAC would just make it permanent because it's very popular and IMO a universally flattering shade of rose/coral/pink that can be used lightly as a highlighter or as a blush with heavier application.

In the pan, SR is a beautiful, shimmery bright coral-red color with very little bronze veining. I think the color in the pan is very unique--it has a glowly effect just in the pan! It looks very bright.

I applied this two ways, lightly with a skunk brush and more heavily with a normal powder/blush brush. Applied lightly, SR give a nice light coral/pink with definite shimmer. I don't now if this would be good right on the skin if you have oily/combo skin and large pores. I got around this issue by using a primer that reduces the appearance of pores. Applied more heavily, SR gives a very pretty coral/rose hue that also definitely has shimmer. However, I have to say that the shimmer is a lot nicer than a lot of other MSFs because it's not definitively gold or silver, but more of a skin-toned shimmer. Therefore, it doesn't look too cool or too warm, but just that your skin has some sheen. You definitely don't need to use a highlighter if you are using this product as a blusher. I really love the color of this as a blush, it's just lovely. It provides a nice subtle glow and highlights your cheeks in such a way that looks like you've contoured your face, because there are also darker rosier undertones.

One downside is that I've noticed it does not last very long at all, even with primer. You might need to layer this on top of a lightly pigmented cream blush to provide something for SR to stick to.

Overall, I'm glad I got SR. It's very very pretty, easy to use and looks great on my skin tone (i'm NC20-25 for reference), and I'd definitely buy it again. It's too bad it's so LE, as I probably don't love it SO much that I would try this hard again to get it, but I'll be sad when I use it up! MAC if you're reading this please make this permanent!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not impressed at all....so frosty!
There are much better products out there and much cheaper!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This is one of the few must have msfs. It shows up perfectly on my dark skin, but I do have to buff it down w/ a kabkui to get the exact shade I want. If you have the option, look at a few and choose one with minimal veining.