Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Cimabue

No Image

3.9

on 10/2/2013 11:43:00 PM

Cimabue is a soft spicy saffron scent. I adore it. Period. I adore it and should have bought a larger bottle. I did the Smell and Tell personal consultation with Dawn this summer, which was one of the most memorable and pleasurable experiences of my life. Now, granted, I am not a master of fragrance, as some are that you may be reading. I am simple. I adore fragrances in a wide variety. What I can tell you is that I smelled 30+ perfumes when I did the Smell and Tell. I bought 5 large bottles of perfume and 3 small. I bought Cimabue in the small size, and CLEARLY, I should have bought the large bottle and definitely will once I have finished my small bottle.

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

Not a thing in the world wrong with this scent but it's certainly not what I'd want to go around smelling like. It smells of The Cracker Barrel store just before Christmas. Or, you'd bathed, dressed and applied a nice fragrance and then spent too much time in the kitchen over warm sweet spices. Too foody to be floral and too floral to be foody. I suppose I'm being redundant. One sentence does it for me: It' smells of The Cracker Barrel store just before Christmas.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I agree w/the adjectives that others have used to describe this...creamy, comforting, addicting. It did take a few tries for me to fall for it & I'm glad I didn't write it off too quickly which I've been known to do. Others have described the notes so I won't go into that but I must say that while this is warm and a bit spicy, I don't think it's a fall/winter only scent. It's just perfectly balanced, not at all heavy or strong.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I ordered this as a sample size. It smells like a spicy, gourmand autumn candle. It's too strong for me to wear on my skin though.

on 2/4/2008 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This fragrance is an explosion of beauty on me. I loved it even more when I layered it over Oeillets des Rouges (sp?) so that the carnation fragrance was more pronounced but there was still so much complex beautify filling the air.

Lovely! Cimabue begins on a complex citrus note, immediately warmed by spice. Rich florals emerge, blending with the citrus spice in a very complex symphony. The clove and carnation add so much here, and the jasmine and rose bring a classical french feel. Then the sandalwood, vanilla and benzoin come in, making the drydown very warm and sweet. The drydowns of DSH fragrances always agree with me; they are never harsh or distracting. I would swear I caught a waft of myrrh, one of my favorite perfumery notes. The spice remains in play until the far drydown, very satisfying as I love these spices.

This makes me think of Coco by Chanel - not that it smells like Coco, it does not- it just has a similar way of being a unified entity unto itself, a very complex and beautiful oriental, yet warm and easy to wear. I can't pick out individual notes here once it dries, as they blend together into an entirely new and unique scent.

I would wear this well, but my love affair with the pronounced spices and simpler drydown in Ceylon consumes the same part of my fragrance wardrobe Cimabue would fulfill. Note: I am grateful for the pronounciation tip on the DSH website; I had been pronouncing this as Sim-ah-boo! The correct pronounciation is Chim-ah-boo-way.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This certain is a "busy" scent! The opening notes of bergamot and neroli are harsh on my skin and just too orangey for me. Apparently there is rose and tuberose somewhere - but I can't smell either of them as the spices are so overpowering - clove, nutmeg and cinnamon. After a couple of hours Cimabue becomes gentler and it's only then that I can smell some saffron mixed with vanilla and soft woods. Basically, although I love the drydown, Cimabue is slightly too sharp and spicy for too long for me to consider wearing it regularly.

on 5/5/2006 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Too spicy for me. I'm discovering I particularly dislike saffron as a fragrance note. It belongs in rice.

on 7/30/2006 4:10:00 AM

Don't get my wrong cimabue very easily could gain 4 or 5 lippies but i'll stick to 3 for two reasons.The staying power is the one (2 hrs max).The second is that this perfume is rather busy(VERY BUSY)Still i think it's great that is very different from SAFFRAN TROUBLANT.With this creation became clear that Dawn from time to time looks at her craft with a playful children's mind and heart .Indeed. this is not a bad think but i strongly suspect that while creating CIMABUE she tried more to have fun and create something to please before everything herself and maybe she lost her way in so many notes and ingredients.although cimabue is very pleasing it good be better with less.from time to time things pop out hit my nose and gone in 30 secs.some other time while i'm inhaling somethin soft and sensuous a spicy element destroys the harmony just for a sec, and then again it takes me off my track.Anyway cimabue on my skin starts with a citrusy note light smooth soft and a bit dry ,tangerine like.this is very fleeting and the perfume follows in mildy spicy floral carnation with hints of greener florals and the saffron fights with them in a composition of love and hate.in my opinion the saffron loses,but the middle of the perfume is nevertheless interesting.As i mention before some comets come and go but that's inevitable.As we come to the last hr the perfume erase some of the greenery of the middle as it passes to a rich honeyed and rather rosy resinous phase.this is the most erotic part and it's really refined, mildly spiced and balsamic.my boyfriend goes crazy when smells this part.it's a love potion.the 30 last min the vanilla rounds the allready warm scent into luxurious oblivion...how sorry i'am.

on 9/15/2007 4:53:00 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting Dawn in her Boulder studio this summer, and it was one of the most pleasurable experiences of my lifetime. I love Cimabue, even though I don't usually go for spicy fragrances. The spices are muted and balanced by the other notes. This will be my fall fragrance, perhaps for life. I wanted to comment about the staying power of her perfumes. She shared something with me during our visit that rang exquisitely true: applying fragrance is part of the experience, which makes reapplying a pleasure. She also noted that when a fragrance lasts too long it gets to be like background noise, getting in the way of one's thoughts. I couldn't agree more, and I have no qualms with the staying power of Cimabue or any other of her perfumes. I will gladly decant and respray as necessary.

Popular Fragrances