Bobbi Brown Clay Collection - Nordstrom Anniversary Kit 05

No Image

4.7

on 10/30/2005 1:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Yet another good value-for-money set from BB. Love the malted shimmer wash e/s, and love collection BB's LE e/s that always come with her annual collection. The pouch is very nice too, and has good pockets to carry the brushes. Both bushes are also good quality. I think BB's collections are always very fine in quality, and consistent.

on 9/20/2005 8:12:00 AM

For the price, this is a great kit. I have light colored lips and the clay matte stain is a wonderful YLBB color on me and naked is a perfect soft lip liner color.

I agree that the malted shimmer wash eye shadow has a silky texture and that the shimmer is subtle. The tawny blush is a nice compliment to my medium skin with golden-yellow undertones.

The brushes, like all BB brushes, are great.

The zippered faux leather case with pouches is OK, but I don't really like the pouches.

For the $50 I paid for this kit, it is a winner!

on 7/23/2005 4:51:00 PM

This is a great set of products that I hesitated to buy because I though it would be too dark for me. I wear the second lightest cool or neutral foundation. But I found even the medium rosey Tawmy foundatiom was usable with a light hand, especially when I use the lighter shades from the Apricot Shimmer brick over it. The malt eyeshadow is a beautiful low shimmer color that works well on the lid and the crease. It is simliar to the regula malt but a less pink and a bit darker. I found the two of them looked nice together. The Naked pencil is fine, but I wish she had included the new Clay pencil which is the recommended line for the included Clay stain. But no doubt she didn't include that or a new blush because she is hoping you will buy those separately. The clay lipstain is decent. It is not really stain as the only think it stains is your fingertip, just a lipstick in a pot instead of a tube. It is fairly moist and appears semi-matt rather then completely matte. The color which is a subtly orangy-pink tinged brown (clay is an accurate discription) can be applied very darkly with a brush or sheerly with your finger. The lid has a mirror and it is nice for quick discreet touchups if you don't mind using your finger. The color doesn't last any longer then a lipstick, wearing down to a sheer pinky brown on my medium pink lips within an hour. The case is classy looking, and the brushes are great, but this isn't everything you need for an on the go makeup job and the case isn't big enough hold any more as BB preference for large round pans are real space wasters. All in in a great deal as the brushes alone are worth the price of admission.

on 7/22/2005 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is my first Bobbi Brown purchase and I must say I'm very pleased. The brushes in this kit are good quality. The clay matte stain for lips goes on creamy and dries matte. The malted shimmer wash eye shadow has a silky texture (glad it's not powdery) and the shimmer is very subtle. I can wear this year round. The tawny blush looks very natural on my medium olive skin tone. Well, the naked lip liner is ok--very natural looking but I'm not too thrilled with it. I have few lip liners that are very similar to this. The zippered faux leather was nice with elasticised compartments. Overall, i love this kit. This is actually the only kit that I have purchased that I can actually use everything in it. Now, to me that's worth the buy. I find that this kit is also great for travel.Love it!

on 8/1/2005 9:44:00 AM

I love this set. I am porcelain skin toned with pink undertones so I was a little worried about the colors but they go on beautifully. The brushes alone are worth the price of admission IMHO. I wish I had gotten two sets.

on 7/22/2005 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am somewhat pleased with my Kit, especially the 2 brushes. The eyeshadow brush is one of the best I've ever used, and the blush brush is better than average.The Clay Matte Lip Stain surprised me, I didn't think I would like it- but I do! The Tawny Blush was the only thing I wasn't thrilled by, becuz I already bought that color years ago and- even tho I used it alot- it wasn't my HG blush. Would have rather they included one of the new blush colors from the "Fall Clay Collection." [BTW, why didn't BB? I would have been happier trying "Clay" or "Pink Clay" blush, instead! Took a lippie off for that.]The Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow was okay, but again, why not a new, matte e/s color from the "Fall Clay Collection?" I don't know what Bobbi was thinking when she planned this one. Besides the brushes, I think the only "bone" they threw in with this kit was the Clay Matte Lip Stain. Kinda wish the e/s & blush were different colors, but oh, well! Still think it's worth the $$. continued >>

Love this set =) I had already purchased the Tailormade brush set from MAC right before I set my eyes on this and I can already tell that the Tailormade set is going right back to the store =) This set includes a neutral blush Tawny, neutral slightly shimmery shadow Malted, matte lip stain Clay (I mix this with lipgloss and it's great! Not dry at all, even though the word "Matte" is in the title), lipliner in Naked, short handle blush brush, short handle eye shadow brush, and a traveling case. I also like how the lipstain comes with it's own mirror =)

I love how portable this set is. I mean, I love my NARS palettes, but this set comes with a case AND two little brushes =) I can do a simple look with just the shadow, blush, and lip stain, and I don't have to carry a separate case for the brushes =) How handy is that?

on 7/20/2005 2:39:00 PM

I had my doubts at first about this collectionit seemed a little unoriginal and I thought, oh please- hasn't BB had the last word yet on earthy lips and brown eyeshadow? But true to form, the pieces in this set are of outstanding quality. Blush and e/s both apply with ease, blend well and the colors are simply pretty and flattering to all. What sold me was the Malted shimmerwash e/s which, when I inquired if it would later be offered for sale individually, the SA became very cagey and noncommittal- a clever marketing ploy that worked- I would have kicked myself if I had waited and missed out. It is indeed a perfect neutral mid-tone brown for all seasons. The Clay matte lip stain isn't terribly matte but soft and creamy. I kept waiting for it to bleed into my lip creases like most stains but it never did, though its staying power could have been better. Usually BB blushes are too pigmented for me but Tawney is pretty and natural. I complete the look not with Espresso Gel Liner (not included) as recommended, but with Cobalt Ink; the deep inky blue beautifully balances out all that earthy neutrality. The hard-sided zippered case has a funny chemical smell, but it's well constructed with elasticized interior pockets. Overall, I'm super pleased.

on 7/17/2005 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The Clay Collection is a set exclusive to Nordstrom for their 2005 Anniversary Sale. For $50 you receive a clay faux-leather case which contains the following products: Limited Edition Malted Shimmerwash Eyeshadow, Tawny Blush, Matte Stain for Lips in Clay, Mini Blush Brush, Mini Eyeshadow Brush, Lipliner in Naked.
Considering the price of separately sold brushes, plus the color products, this is a pretty good deal. The Blush Brush is similar to the full size in head size, same great quality, just with a short handle. The mini Eyeshadow brush head is rather flimsy compared to the full size, it's comparable to the e/s brush that usually comes with BB palettes. Whereas it's obviously a matter of limited space in a slim palette, in this set, however, it would have been easy to accommodate a full size e/s brush with a short handle. This e/s brush is usable, but not luxurious.
The Matte Lip Stain is supposed to be dabbed on with your fingers. The color Clay is pretty similar to BB's Putty Lipstick and the feel is comfortable. The formula is very soft in the pot, in between a l/g and a l/s. I don't like sticking my fingers in my makeup containers, so I applied it with a brush, which works just fine. The Shimmer Wash Malted is pretty, it's a color that was not included in the Nude on Nude Shimmerwash Palette, so that's a very nice addition. I would describe it as a mocha-toned beige shimmer, on the warm side but not too much so. As all BB Shimmer Washes, it's a very wearable, subtle shimmer. The Tawny Blush is described as a medium pink brown on the BB website, it's a versatile blush color. The Naked lipliner is a neutral brownish pink. Personally, I like BB's line of creamy lipliners much better since they go on much smoother, but oh well. After all, if you consider that the Naked l/l sells for $20 if purchased separately, therefore in this set it basically comes almost as a freebie.
Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and I can see myself reaching for these colors more once fall arrives. For reference I'm a cool/neutral toned PPP (blond/gray-green eyes) and usually stick to cool tones but the colors in this kit are not extremely warm and they work well with my complexion. If you like BB's products I recommend getting this set.