Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

3.8

on 9/10/2015 7:26:00 AM

Patchouli and chocolate, but not sweet chocolate. Bitter, dark chocolate. Wet earth, leaves, ancient trees in a dark forest. All these come to mind with Borneo.

This is not for the faint hearted! This has a darkness and earthiness to it that I have never smelled in a fragrance before. After a while I can detect a leather note, but no matter how hard I try, I can't detect any of the white flowers that I know are in this.

Borneo is spicy and woody, but has an awful initial resinous note which smells to me like plastic. It is very earthy and incredibly strong. This is what gives it a masculinity that does not appeal to me. I can see this being amazing on the right person but on me it is too deep and dark. Glad I got a sample first, I would not buy this.

on 9/3/2013 5:02:00 PM

Borneo is a patchouli masterpiece. It is as if Angel traded in her glitter lip gloss and clear platform heels for a deep burgundy lipstick and velvet smoking slippers. It is a smooth, dark, polished and sophisticated scent. And dry, dry, dry! No sugar or berries here, and no one will confuse you with dessert, even though it does contain cocoa.

As a side-note, no other perfume has such a profound impact on my mood. I find it extremely grounding and meditative, yet strengthening--when I wear it I feel as though I can handle anything. Strangely enough, the camphor in it makes my sinuses clear and I can breathe more deeply, as if I were breathing seaside air. I'll wear it to yoga, to bed, to the grocery store, and cover all my scarves in it in anticipation of cooler weather. I am planning on buying a full bottle for my birthday. This scent is perfect for you earthy Virgos out there! Unless you are a patchouli-hating Virgo, because Borneo is all about patchouli. (Of course, non-Virgos would smell great in this also--you just gotta love the patchouli.)

Wish I could still find this in the glorious engraved bottle that was available a few years ago.

Notes (from Fragrantica): patchouli, white flowers, cardamom, galbanum, french labdanum and cacao.

Updating: If you are wondering about longevity, or gasping at the idea of me wearing this to yoga-- Borneo starts off with a bang, but if you give it a little time, it only hovers close to the body once it settles in. I spray it once or twice, and then top it off if I feel like it later in the day.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I was hoping to get more cocoa and amber from this, but I only get a hint of cocoa for the first 30 seconds on my skin, and then this quickly settles into all patchouli all the time. It's a sweet, earthy, almost honeyed smelling patchouli. And it's way too simple for me. After a while, it's a bit like patchouli and a whiff of lavender-y men's cologne (?).
I've found my ultimate patchoulis in the Reminiscence Paris line and Thierry Mugler's Angel, and this doesn't even come close to smelling as well rounded and rich as any of my other favorites.

on 8/22/2011 3:25:00 PM

smells uncannily similar to davidoff zino.

Notes: patchouli, white flowers, cardamom, galbanum, french labdanum and cacao.

The first blast is dark chocolate and patchouli, as if I was smelling an exotic dark chocolate bar. On me the chocolate is the headnote, vanishing soon to leave me with the patchouli and the spices. I am sure the white flowers, albeit undetectable, do their part in creating a well-rounded, balanced scent. I would describe the scent as dark, dry, woody with just enough spices and flowers to not make it bitter or too dry. Due to the labdamum the dry down is very pale and sweet. Lasts for more than 5 hours.

on 5/1/2013 8:40:00 PM

Here's a link to a great review of the EDP. I dont think I could put it any better.

on 2/10/2010 9:21:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

This fragrance is a masterpiece. Got a small decant about 2 months ago and that first spritz was a blast of patch and camphor. Then came the resinous drydown and the dry cocoa accord. There is nothing girly or floral in this juice, it is a pure alien landscape. A one of a kind composition that I imagine would not be for everyone. For me, it is raunchy, smoky and right in line with how I want to smell everyday.
I only wish Serge would put out complimentary products to go with this like body cream, body wash, bath oil, shampoo, laundry detergent, toothpaste..............
Full bottle is on the way. If I ever get back to Paris I'm getting 27 bell jars

on 4/26/2010 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

i love it forever. it smells like dank colonial oppression - what dark desires. chocolate, tobacco, patchouli, and teak - perfect.

on 3/31/2010 7:01:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is a huge patchouli blast! I understand patchouli leaves were used to keep away moths - this could clear a county of moths! And the chocolate note does not work for me either, it is too stale and musty to be pleasant.
I always appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into Lutens work but this one is just not for me.

on 3/28/2010 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

No edible chocolate here but dry, dark and bitter cocoa powder. I get more coffee, tobacco and patchouli than cocoa. It does smell like two clashing fragrances worn together and is intoxicating from a distance, but a little confusing up close. I think it is rather different from Angel and A*Men. I normally enjoy masculine scents, but I do find this a little too much for my own use. As with most Lutens, the longevity is amazing but do apply sparingly.

Popular Fragrances